Contributing Member quartzracer's Avatar
    Liked: 5

Default Champ Car on the decline???

Seems that another race has been canceled on the Champ Car schedule. Spectator appeal seems to be less then enthusiastic. IRL seems to be gaining in popularity. I have been a die-hard Champ Car fan for years, but after spectating at the Infineon Raceway I have to admit that IRL puts on a GOOD show.

Liked: 1

Seems that Phoenix was axed due to no event sponsorship $$? Yeah but they can go to Assen this weekend, that can't be cheap to ship everything over there?

I didn't see any TV listings for this weekends race either?? Maybe no $$ for that too?

The word is out that CC is hurting, Id say its a 50/50 bet SOMETHING will happen to them this off season? Who will spend the $$ to bail them out this time...Tony G? That will leave a lot of people mad/ hurting, Panoz, Cosworth,BSF even Swift with the Atlantic car. I wonder how hard it will be to convert their new car over to IRL specs? But that would be cool, 2 totally different packages racing at INDY again!!

Something real bad has to happen this time in order for the ship to be righted once AND for ALL! Champ Car never hit rock bottom last time, they just went into rehab, but now I think they are having a relapse and could use some tough love......remember "one race at a time"?
    Last edited by Mark H; 08.30.07 at 9:30 AM.
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Liked: 2

My problem with ChampCar is that the French guy doesn't seem to have any competition. And it sure would be nice to have a race series that mostly competes in the USA would have more USA drivers. Not only has a lot of manufacturing jobs went South, it seem like that's where all of the money is to sponsor teams.

I don't know why I'm bitching about it since I quit watching the races, I get more excitement mowing my lawn, and I hate mowing my lawn.

Liked: 449

I don't know. With the new car, I've paid more attention to Champ than I ever have. I don't really like the whole "World Series" portion of it and wished it was only North American tracks with North American drivers though.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by quartzracer View Post
    Seems that another race has been canceled on the Champ Car schedule. Spectator appeal seems to be less then enthusiastic. IRL seems to be gaining in popularity. I have been a die-hard Champ Car fan for years, but after spectating at the Infineon Raceway I have to admit that IRL puts on a GOOD show.

Maybe they did at Infineon, but IRL is a serious yawn fest. Races when the podium +1 are the only people on the lead lap, single digit cars running at the finish, and really only 4-6 people are competing for the podium. With the exception of Castroneves, only two teams have had drivers win the race. Milka Duno being allowed to compete with NO experience. I cna't think of much good about the IRL right now. If they dind't have the monopoly on the Indy 500 (which struggled to fill the field) they wouldn't be around right now is my guess.

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

oh..never mind..

It appears I can't put any smileys on during editing....
    Last edited by Thomas Copeland; 08.30.07 at 1:06 PM.
    Firman F1000

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 421

Resurrect the mid 90's cars and make it a quasi-masters series!
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 9

Default Huh? what's new?

I used to be a hardcore CC fan but have had very little time to watch this year with 21 races on my personal schedule and the fascinating soap opera called F-1. So what did I miss that's so new and overwhelming? The Doom and Gloom discussion has been going on for years on forums like Off Camber. Maybe CC will go down for the last time at some point, but I doubt anyone kabitzing like this will see it coming with any certainty.

CC have got an idea that seeks a niche; not one we may care about since it's a long ways from the heyday of the mid 90's (Penske, NH, Patrick, Ganassi and Michael vs. Little Al etc.) but like all products, the market does change and we're just not it anymore . It's 2007 for gawdsake, we just have to get used to it.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Tebo View Post
    My problem with ChampCar is that the French guy doesn't seem to have any competition. And it sure would be nice to have a race series that mostly competes in the USA would have more USA drivers. Not only has a lot of manufacturing jobs went South, it seem like that's where all of the money is to sponsor teams.

I don't know why I'm bitching about it since I quit watching the races, I get more excitement mowing my lawn, and I hate mowing my lawn.
    With the French guy going to F1 the field should be closer, sort of like MS leaving F1. As for Champ Car's Sunday race at Zolder, I thought the TV coverage sucked. With the weather keeping the copter at low altitude the incar shots were painful to watch. With the picture continually breaking up they would have been better off not even showing it. I really like the F1 announcers line-up & the Champ car announcers just don't even come close.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 449

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Copeland View Post
    oh..never mind..

It appears I can't put any smileys on during editing....

Yes, you can. You have to click on "Go Advanced" to get there though when editing.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

oh, thanks Keith...

Maybe I'll repost my rant but with the noise level turned down a bit....

what did I write again?...trying to remember..oh...think I do....

Indians won't sponsor auto race, Chinese promoter ran away with billions in Wang, IRL has been reduced to the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show (flying squirrel always cause trouble Boris!), Danica can always get a 2nd career on afternoon TV...and ChampCar Belgium style looks like F1 redux,

Guess ya had to be there the first time....
    Firman F1000

Liked: 9

Default CC can't make interesting stuff up

CC is in trouble because they simply think all they need to do is put on a good race and have a street fair. Never mind NASCAR, they are not going to get any exposure when compared to these water cooler topics

1. Knucklehead Franchitti (airborne 2 races in a row and takes out teammate Marco in 3rd)
    2. Reubens in his Honda yelling on the radio: "I'm flat out and I can't catch the Spyker."
    3. The Alonzo-Hamilton pissing match with speculation that Hamilton's tire failed last weekend because Fred wouldn't share his sacred telemetry and setup.
    4. Toyota F-1 trying to decide between $ 2mill for Timo Glock and $40 mill for Fred.
    5. The fiasco at Toro Rosso and the Scott Speed episode.

When CC can't even get Paul Tracy to be himself and wear a mask and costume........well, the "show" is lacking.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Thread Information