Liked: 64

Default EWC Results??????

Anybody have results from this weekends East vs. West races at Grattan?
    Thanks Wes

Contributing Member
    Liked: 49

Turnout was low with only 7 cars total, 4 FF and 3 CFF. Both morning sessions were wet, but the races were dry. Saturday, Gary Godula ran off, and Dave Harmison and I had a great dice all race long. I lost count, but there must have been at least half dozen passes for the CFF lead. Dave won by 0.3s, but he weighed in 3 pounds light (no, nobody knows how that's possible for a 6'9" tall driver, but it's true). Results:

Gary Godula FF
    Phil Kingham CFF
    Tom Stillwell FF
    Paul Quiniff CFF
    Allen Wheatcroft FF
    Francis Kennette FF (moved to last - didn't report to impound)
    Dave Harmison CFF (DQ)

On Sunday, the qualifying race in th morning was in the wet. Dave and I went at it again, and again, he beat me by 0.3s. In the afternoon race, Gary got through in turn 1 (3 wide on the entry!) I started losing power, so I dropped out after 10 laps (loose distributor). Allen and Francis had a good battle, but Tom ended up pulling off with a mechanical problem.

Gary Godula FF
    Dave Harmison CFF
    Allen Wheatcroft FF
    Francis Kennette FF
    Paul Quiniff CFF
    Tom Stillwell FF
    Phil Kingham CFF

All in all, a fun weekend. Next round is Blackhawk July 7/8.

Liked: 0

Default Grattan was a blast

Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post
    All in all, a fun weekend. Next round is Blackhawk July 7/8.
    And it might have been even more fun with more drivers!

We ran on a drying track Saturday morning, a dry track under overcast skies Saturday afternoon, rain for the start of the Sunday morning qualifying race, and cloudless skies, perfect conditions for Sunday's race.

My race Sunday was really fun. Francis and I diced the entire session, running nose to tail most of the time. Somewhere (I think) past the mid-point I managed to get by him. A couple laps later, wanting to build a lead, I pressed too hard (for me) coming to the salad bowl, and put my car sideways. Francis caught up just after that and overtook me a bit later. Next lap I finally figured out the drafting thing (thanks TJ!) and got past on the inside coming into one. I somehow stayed ahead for two laps until the checkered--Godula nowhere in sight in the lead.

Public service announcement: Please, if you run a Ford, come out and be part of this great series. There are FOUR more events this summer:
    Blackhawk Farms - July 7/8
    Gingerman - July 28/29
    Road America - August 25/26
    Mid-Ohio - September 8/9
    Thanks to Steve Beeler and Dave Harmison for Grattan and the season kick-off.
    Ok, now I will climb off the soap box . . .

Grattan is such a great track. I'm really glad it's part of the EWC.
    Last edited by Allen_W; 05.28.07 at 1:55 PM.

Liked: 313

Yep, it was an awesome weekend. Too bad about the turn-out.

In Saturday morning practice I decided I HATED my new helmet and made a mad dash to Muskegon to buy a different one. PK was on the cell phone to me checking my progress and while I was gone his crew changed my car from wets to drys, torqued lug nuts and reconnected my rear bar so that when I made it back to the track, with all of ten minutes to spare, I was ready to go. And rumor had it the stewards were encouraged to drag their feet a little too. Hey, Topeka, you listening? It's called SPORTSMANSHIP.

I can't say enough. It was a great race, PK and I gave each other just enough room. Corner workers and stewards agreed, it was by far the best race of the weekend.

Needed more field depth, guys! Let's get some more cars for Blackhawk!

Dave

Default Grattan Prize Drawing Winners

Here's who won what at the Grattan EWC Saturday evening prize drawing:

$50 merchandise from International Racing Products - Dave Harmison
    $50 merchandise from Shelter Systems - Paul Quiniff
    1-year subscription to FormulaCar Magazine - Tom Stillwell
    $100 shop labor credit from Murray Motorsports - Francis Kennette & Phil Kingham
    $20 merchandise from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies - Allen Wheatcroft
    50% transaxle service labor discount from The Gear Daddies - Gary Godula & Dave Harmison

Many thanks as always to our EWC sponsors for their generous and continuing support of Formula Ford 1600 and the EWC.

Steve Beeler, de facto EWC commissioner
    Lola T-540 HU44
    home: (734)416-8865 sbeeler@wowway.com
    office: (313)441-4460 x1141 sbeeler@pmcorp.com

Default EWC Point Totals

**This file has an error in it. See correction in next post.**

All,

As the official EWC points keeper, I offer you the points to date in the East West Challenge. Please send me a note if you have questions or concerns.

Thank you for racing!
    -Sarah Kingham (AKA Phil's wife)

**This file has an error in it. See correction in next post.**
    Last edited by EWC_Pointskeeper; 06.15.07 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Error Correction

Default Corrected EWC Points

All,

My apologies! I made an error in the FF points. Attached is the corrected file.

-Sarah

Contributing Member Gary Godula's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Default Points Check

Steve,

Check your point count again. In FF, East should have 41 and West should have 31, not the 40 and 32 that you have listed. The fast lap and the pole should go to east for both races.

Good Luck to all at Blackhawk and keep the new tradition of side-by-side victory laps going. It always makes for good photo ops. Keep us posted on the results......gmg
    Gary Godula
    '88 Reynard FF88
    SCCA Club Racing / Solo #57 FF/CM

Thread Information