Liked: 1

Default How to clean oil system after engine failure?

I had a major failure of the #1 bearing on my RF94. The bearing had completely disintegrated filling every nook and cranny with metal filings.

I have secured a used engine to install that includes an oil pump.

How should i go about cleaning the oil system to enusre no contaminents remain?

What about the oil cooler? It seems there are several styles of coolers, mine is an aluminum canister approx 3" in diameter and 12" long that sits behind the left rad. Can it be professionally cleaned by a rad shop or should it be tossed in the garbage?

Thanks,

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1489

you can clean the lines with a parts washer, pressure washer, etc - they're short enough and few enough to eyeball and even swab out with a shotgun brush.

The cooler - unless it's an ungodly expensive model, where it might be cost effective to have it ultrasonically cleaned (which is still a risk that probably needs a trash filter installed inline afterward) - is a throw-away.

Don't forget to take the cleanout plate off the bottom of the bellhousing, and the breather tower, and the little metric capscrew behind the outlet fitting, and blast all the gunk out of every nook, cranny, and fitting (including the tower).

Be careful if you have to use the old pan and the baffles are welded in - makes it hard to see how clean the pan is.

Liked: 3787

You you sure the cannister you describe is not a oil/water heat exchanger?

If so, most units come apart fairly easily and can be cleaned.

It is an oil to water heat exchanger. I attached pictures of it. It is welded and not easily taken apart.

Any idea where to get a replacement?

How effective are the "donut" style coolers that I have seen in other threads (the VW/audi ones)?

Liked: 610

Default clean oil system

No need to throw old junk into a new motor.
    Unless you can get that thing apart, I would replace it with a normal oil cooler.
    Also, those types of oil to water coolers, do not help seperate the air from the oil (like a normal cooler), before it returns to the tank.

Keith
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Anyone got a link for a "good" oil cooler?

Liked: 30

Default Oil/Water heat exchanger

My 2L doesn't use an oil cooler but if you must have one AeroQuip make a good exchanger.

Link: http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...17362&D=317362

rollin'...rollin'...rollin'...

Default oil coolers

You could always try contacting us.
    http://www.racing-stuff.com/coolers.htm

Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff,Inc.
    Keith
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

I race up in western canada and the temps are typically low to mid 70s. Is an oil cooler necessary?

Liked: 30

Default Well...

...since no one else will offer an opinion... We run in the south where ambient temps run from 85 to 95 & as I mentioned my Reynard doesn't have an oil cooler. We use synthetic & haven't had any oil temp problems. We got over 26 hours out out last motor.

Default oil cooler

For some vehicles, the separation of air and oil during cooling, may be the most important factor of an oil cooler. The Reynard RacerDave 51 has, has quite a large oiltank/ bellhousing, which helps the oil to cool and separate air before it's picked up again. Also, oil choice adds to the factor of whether or not you need an oil cooler.
    Keith
    Keith
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Oil temps.

If you run Mobil 1 or the like you can run oil temps as high as 260 F. and the oil will work just fine.

Thread Information