Liked: 0

Default Distributor help needed.

OK here is the situation. I am thinking about going for a new distributor on the motor. So lets start with the set up of how I got here. After a winter rebuild & alot of work, we ended up with a fresh motor that we had sent the carbs out to be rebuilt & changed the distributor out from a fomoco point to a bosch with the pertroniks electronic ignition. The first weekend out with the fresh motor we couldnt get the motor timed. Step one, change back to the points in the bosch. Still the timing was all over the place. OK maybe the distributor we "inherited" was faulty. So we borrow a fomoco with points. That goes in & my timing light craps out (we think) but not suprising, i have had it for a million years. So we borrow another timing light & still no trigger to the light (Hmmmm maybe mine isnt broken after all) So we pull a couple of plugs to find the number one plug so fouled that it wasnt firing, ergo no trigger to the timing light. It seems that the gentleman who refreshed our carburators this winter jetted them way too rich. A quick jet change & BAM!! the timing dials in perfectly!!! Now with all that said. Here is what i have 1) a Bosch distributor that seems to be in decent shape with set up for electronic ignition or points. 2) a fomoco distributor that i believe is fairly new with a set of points. So now what I am looking for is suggestion as to what I am looking for in looking over these distributors to decide if i use one over the other or if I go for a new one & if I go new, I know i want electron ignition but do i go fomoco or bosch?
    Stephen

Hard at Play Racing
    Crewing at it's Best!
    Hemmingway Said "the only true SPORTS are Bull Fighting, Mountain climbing & Auto Racing, Everything else is just a game."

Liked: 4

I can't talk to the diferances in the distributors (May want to consider Mallory as well, if going new) I believe a big issue with the Pertronix I Ignitor is that they fry themselves if you leave the ignition on. Same thing happens with the points, but they are less expensive to replace. You already know I'm a big fan of the Pertronix (With thier rev limiters being a notable exception).... 4 years and no points changes (Across 2 cars). On the 1600 it was reliably paired with the Bosch Blue Coil.

I sent you an email with some sources... Other then the parts suppliers, a good FF engine builder can also supply fully setup race prepped units (New) or rehab existing unit to your spec (less expensive).
    Last edited by racer27; 05.21.07 at 4:58 PM.
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Bosch

I would go with the Bosch as most everyone uses one and you can get spares at the track if you need some. The only thing that wears out on it is the shaft bushings so make sure you don't have alot of side to side play in the shaft. The bushings can be replaced if need be. Make sure the centrifugal advance mechanism is set so you get your full timing early like 2500 RPM's (a good engine builder can set it up for you). Go with the Pertronix to eliminate point bounce and you should have a good reliable setup. Make sure you use the correct coil based on if you are using points or the Pertronix - points requires the Bosch Blue Coil, not sure what the Pertronix calls for.

Liked: 1

Default Coil

The Bosch Blue coil works with the Petronix unit and is what I used all last year.
    Joe Riley

Liked: 0

Default Use what you got

I have had both fomoco on my FF and bosch on FC. No problems with either.

The fomoco had the plate screwed and used regular points/bosch blue coil--no probs.

The bosch is hooked up to an MSD 6ALN and uses regular points. I did have a set of points break between events somehow, but I caught it as part of the pre-race check (engine wouldn't start!). other than that no problems.

Most of the national folks seem to use bosch, but the fomoco works too, so why not use it and spend your $ on something else?

Liked: 17

Default Spending on the right thing

Hello

In your post you said that you changed the jetting because the carb guy set it way to rich.
    I would suggest that you spend your mony on a rolling road session and you will gain the most from your mony spent. It´s also a good investment for your new engine to be sure that it doesn´t run rich or lean.

I dont know what it would cost in the US but here I usally pays aprox $300 for a session. You can easily loose 3 HP on timing alone

I use Bosch with point on my Tiga and RF76 with out any problems and Bosch with OEM FOMOCO electronic ignition on my RF85 wich have proved reliable.

Henrik
    "Trying is the first step towards faliure"
    Homer Simpson

www.hhtech.se

Thread Information