Thread: Indy 50K

Liked: 34

Default Indy 50K

Boy oh boy, I can't wait:
    The Indy 500 will be shown in HDTV!

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...S0101/70508039

Let's see, NASCAR already is, now Indy. Any bet on when F1 will be in HiDef?
    dave

Liked: 0

even in hi-def and with 3 women in the field i'm sure the ratings will struggle to surpass viking quest reruns.

Contributing Member bryancohnracing's Avatar
    Liked: 16

Heck, I bet Johnny Quest re-runs would beat the Indiaknowplace 500!

Here Bandit, Here Bandit, Bandit!
    Bryan Cohn
    bryancohnracing@yahoo.com
    417-540-2595 text

Liked: 5

last years numbers

http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/20..._daily139.html

It's still my favorite day of the year.

I'm with you Scott,
    No matter what the ratings are and no matter who's racing its the one day of the year that I get choked up. I haven't missed one since I was 4 either in the stands or on TV. Granted times are tough in the ol' IRL right now but its still the INDY 500. I'm glued to the TV from the time Jim Nabors takes the stage to the checkers.
    Jason Mabee
    MiDiv Car FE #01

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!" - Elwood Blues

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 931

Regardless of where the ccws drivers went, regardless of what cars run, regardless of what drivers run, it is the Indianapolis 500 Mile Sweepstakes and still is the greatest, largest single day sporting event in the world.

It transcends being "just a race" despite Tony George's efforts to reduce it to that and is still an event, a happening, a must experience it at least once in a lifetime thing.

And after experiencing it once you do not want to go back, you either are not the least interested in racing or are brain dead.

Default Indy 500

Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, its just another oval race.
    Even for Indy, I can't see the appeal of oval racing.

Nomex on,
    John

Liked: 1

Default Indy 500

It can't really be put into words...

...but it definitely isn't "just another oval race" for sure.

I've been going on and off for over 35 years and never miss it on the tube when I can't be there....even when it used to be tape delayed and broadcast in prime time. It is the one truly "religious" day of my life and the speedway is the cathedral. I've watched many racing heros win...and some to only struggle or die...and even though it is different than it used to be, it is still the pinnacle of auto racing in the US today.

....and due to our current car-build commitments I am going to have to stay in Phoenix this year and watch it on my 46" HD TV. So....if anyone needs two really nice seats midway up in the Northwest Vista....clear views of T3, the short chute and T4, please call me and I'll hook you up....gratis.

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC
    623-581-3222 shop

Liked: 23

Its the only place in the world where I've experienced 500,000 people gasp in unison (as Michael was slowing down on lap 189 in 1992). Its a very eery experience to hear that over the cars.

For those that think oval racing is not racing, perhaps you've never done it at the limit. It is a very difficult thing to do well (surmising from a drivers perspective, but I know that from an engineers perspective). Google for Bruno Giacamelli's quotes after testing at Michigan. I don't think he ever got back in an Indy car again. We drive around the handling issues on a road course, no one carries a car at the Speedway, it works and you're fast or you overdrive and you're in the wall.
    Last edited by TimW; 05.09.07 at 9:25 PM.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 261

i have to jump on the scott-jason-steve bandwagon. it's still THE race. i haven't missed one since 1972 (other side of the planet courtesy of the US taxpayers and at the request of the US government). as far as ovals go...they are the only track where i have completely written off a car (or 3)....well, actually 2 3/4s. love monaco..love spa....but indy, like elvis, will always be the king.

ps. those girls might not be winning, but they can drive.
    pss. steve...know the bowens by any chance?

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1909

I have not missed a Indy 500 since about age 4. Not even the year we had to have the remote control for a TV with NO other way of tuning except by remote, FedExed Saturday delivery to the NHIS national so we could watch Stan Fox get a "shoe shine" right at the start. I think that was 1995 ?
    I always had respect for anybody that got themselves into the "worlds biggest show". My REAL respect came after I raced my first Toyota Atlantic oval race at Nazareth in 1994. It was the first race that I have EVER done that you go "flat out" the entire lap and hang on for dear life the WHOLE time right out on the ragged freakin edge! If I remember right, it was a 102 mile race and Dismore's last win as a driver. During the race, I had to "duck" flying parts twice and send the car into the grass once going into turn 3 just to try and stay alive. I got out of the car after the race COMPLETELY drained physically, mentally, and emotionally! One of the first things I thought of was,.....How the HELL can the indy car guys do that for 500 miles!
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Default The Great Race

I don't know if any of you guys have watch the Bathurst Super Car racing out of Australia, which would have to be the most demanding race in the world, whilist the Indy 500 is a great race, even here in New Zealand, home of Scott Dixon, it does rate a little lower in the greatnest scale, its up there but when you see these V8 super cars comeing over the mountain down through the cutting pedal to the metal onto conrod striaght, you know it takes big balls, and if you get the chance to watch it, or have seen it you know why, of cause the best drivers are Kiwis, and we do let the Aussies win once in a while, and have even been there myself, not to race, but have driven the circuit and would love to have a go. There have been many drivers from around the world who have said that it would be the hardest circuit in the world to do in one of these cars, which are fuel injected NASCARS sort of.
    Roger

Liked: 9

I'm curious how many of you who don't think the Indy 500 is a big deal have ever been to it. I've taken many non-race friends to the 500 over the years and now every one of them is a huge fan. It's way more than just a race, you have to go for a few days and experience the "Event". My Tivo is set for hours of qualifying this weekend.

After two failed attempts to go in 90 and 91(poor college grad) I went for the first time in 1992 to watch Michael Andretti almost lap the field then break with 11 laps to go, he parked right in front of me in T4 (I was in the NE Vista) and Al Jr went on to win in the closest finish in 500 history. I didn't miss a race again until the split. Being there to see Emerson pass Nigel on the restart to win, the Penske push rod cars (Al's 2nd win), Villenuve's win and so on are memories I'll never forget. The place is magical. I still get goose bumps every time I see the speedway, cross 16th street and walk in the main gate as well as walking under the gasoline alley sign, touching the bricks and of course hearing the first car go by.

I started going again in 2000 and was sorry I stayed away. I have gotten to see some great races in the IRL era such as Montoya win, Tracy's win and last year Hornish's win. You quickly forget the politics once you get there. It's certainly not as big as it was in the early 90's but it is still amazing.

I just received my Paddock Penthouse row M tickets Monday (Ebay is a great thing!) If you can go you should. One of the good things about the split is good tickets are easier to get but the place still fills up. Being Memorial day you have Monday to recover before going back to work. My only regret is the Nelson National moved to Memorial day a few years ago so now I'll miss it. Good luck Dave W, as if you'll need it....

Matt,

Thanks for the tickets, my son will be in beside himself as I was many years ago. Just to let everyone know, Matt will not take anything for them, so I will be forwarding a donation to Apexspeed in his behalf for the gesture. They, the tickets, will really be appreciated. Thanks, again Matt and good luck with the new car(s). Greg O'dell

Default The Greatest Spectacle in Racing

Chas....you are dead on....it is a magical place and holds a special place in the racing history of America.

Greg,

Have fun....and I hope your son enjoys it as much as I did when I was a kid....and as an adult. Thanks for the gesture of supporting this site....it is a great site.

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC

Thread Information