Liked: 0

Default Racecar partnership

I'm sure many of you have thought about it, but how many have actually done it, successfully? Has there been any recordable success of racecar sharing or a partnership? Flight clubs do it all the time. What are the pros and cons? I was thinking of keeping it at only 2 members.

Liked: 9

Default It takes a special relationship

Whew, don't know that the race car exposure can be compared to the infrequency of pranging a wing on a Cessna, but I race with an "Odd Couple" (as I call them) who did it for 2 years anyway. They recently just bought a second car and split the sheets and they're still friends. I can hook you up with them if you'd like.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Liked: 1

Default Partnership on a Crossle 63F

CXB,

Yes, a five year partnership in a Crossle 63F FC here in Michigan - split the driving, investments and costs 50/50. No paperwork or anything we split the driving at Waterford hills each week end. Each driver got two races and one qual each week end. It is somewhat tricky to change the cars seats out and reset the lap belts but we did it six to seven week ends a year. Getting the car to fit each of us was a compromise.

We had a few minor incidents - front wings etc but nothing major. It was nice to cut the cost in half - we bought a lot of stuff 50/50 which made the start up reasonalbe. We also did all the maintenance together and owned a van to tow the car as well. After five years Steve wanted to get more seat time and I bought him out of the Crossle and the Van and he bought a 89 Reynard FC. We are still partners - share space, tools and enjoy racing and wrenching. For the last three years we have run more than just Waterford and it has been fun running Mid Ohio and Grattan here in the Cendiv. Of note, the first "car to car" event either of us had was when we hit each other on the start at Waterford when I spun in turn one. I have since sold the Crossle to Melissa Fergus who is much faster than I ever was in it and purchased a Reynard as well - some value in shared information and bits and pieces

Would I do a partnership again - yes with Steve but it does take the right temperments. Important that the goals are consistent or at least paralell.

Good Luck

David Keep

Reynard 90SF

Thanks for the responses. I could always count on Apex to for the best information, from the best people. I agree that goals of each partner need to be on par. The benifit of such an agreement, as mentioned, is the relatively reasonable cost of start up. Did I just say "reasonable" cost in a racers forum? You would think I would know better. Reasonable means; just bearly making the rent, feeding yourself and drinking Balentine Ale (they still brew that stuff and is it really ale?) while every penny goes into going faster. Here's another pitch; whom among us would be interested? Is it common to want to enter into such a venture?

I'm considering a move to the Augusta, GA, Aiken, SC region. It looks like there's racetracks a-plenty. Can anyone comment on the area?

Dave and Tom, thanks again. If you have names or e-mails of those willing to share thier thoughts and experiences, I would greatly appreciate it.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

I don't think I'd ever do it again. I am not a difficult person to get along with and the partnership we had was in a pro series that none of us could afford to compete in on our own.

We had one guy who was very good at obtaining sponsorship, one with deep pockets, one with extensive fabrication skills and one with a thorough understanding of race car prep, set up and maintenence. So we all brought something to the table. Something all of us mutually agreed on in the beginning as being of equal value. We all were going to be 1/4 owners in the car.

Forty-four races later we were actually ahead of the game financially and decided to break the team up and go our seperate ways. Two guys were going to buy their own cars, another was moving onto something else and one guy was just getting out. This is where it got UGLY. Some people couldn't act like adults and relationships were harmed.

In the end, I will never race another car that I can't afford to wad up in a ball and walk away from on my own.

Buy something you can afford to race on your own, leave the headaches to someone else.
    Even if it all goes well while doing it, when it comes to an end someone's feelings might get hurt.

Now if you are talking about someone else providing the checkbook and you are providing the right foot, that is another story.

Default gotta be real careful

Tried it last year and got the short end of the stick.

I had just gotten a car & a friend had just sold his. I didn't have a license (medical reasons, but now ok) and thought it would work for him to drive & get the bugs out of my car while I got my medical back in shape.

The (verbal) agreement was that he would repair any crash damage, pay for tow fuel & race expenses (fees, tires etc). My part was the car, tow vehicle, trailer & crew services. (No charge for use of engine (8 races) or tow mileage).

Things were fine for a while but deteriorated at the end. We finished mostly 2nd-3rd and had one win (when other racer had engine probs).

He did buy 4 calipers (destroyed two of them 'modifying' them to fit) and 4 wheels $100/ea. Also says he had Stimola redo the shocks, I didn't see any invoices though.

Last race of the season we were taken out by a newbie (normal racing accident) lost left rear suspension, diffuser, rear body, wheel and lower wing. The car is still sitting. The wrong rear arm was purchased and 'modified' to fit with wrong parts. rear body not repaired, diffuser not replaced, rear wheel not replaced.misc body mounts not repaired/replaced etc etc etc.

he went on and bought a new-to-him car and returned mine to me.

Next time (hah- there won't be one) I will get the agreement in writing.

Liked: 4

Several drivers in the FRCCA have done it and several more continue to do-so... Maybe one of them can pipe in. This is two drivers sharing one car... Possible in the RCCA as classes are based on driver experiance not car. so rookie son can runs same car as more expeinced father on same reace weekend, just differant run group/class.
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Liked: 5

Hello,

Looking at this from the other side of a partnership, we do ours differently.

We have three cars, but split to buy one truck, a big trailer and a tool fund.

This has worked great for over ten years now, our race expenses are reduced and we seem to have a lot more fun, because of always having a peanut gallery watching and helping.

You also save on insurance, and driving, someone can also fly one way and drive back and vice versa, which cuts down on time involvement.

I would bet the money you save on support equipment, could be enough to buy a car you don't have to share!

Happy Trails,
    Miles

Outstanding responses!! You all give me a lot to consider. For those with FF partnership experience, any chance you can share an idea on budgeting (excluding the cost of a car and tow vehicle).

Default re: Augusta, GA

Come on down!!

We have multiple tracks in the Northern part of SEDIV. Both CMP and Savannah are close to Augusta and Rd Atl would also be an easy tow. You should be able to do all you want w/o towing more than 4 hrs.

We need more formula cars here too. Pretty friendly bunch of racers too.

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by cxb2000 View Post
    I'm considering a move to the Augusta, GA, Aiken, SC region. It looks like there's racetracks a-plenty. Can anyone comment on the area?
    I moved to the Atlanta area from Hartford, CT 8-9 years ago. I really like not shoveling snow and chipping ice. :-).

Yes, there is a pretty decent selection of race tracks in the south east, although, you are in a pretty good area, too (in terms of number of tracks within driving distance). I miss LRP (and others), but like living an hour from Road Atlanta.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Hey Racer Russ,

Its good to hear from an former yankee. I'm still considering the move. What's your thoughts on Augusta? As far as tracks in the area, LRP is within 2.5 hours of me, NHIS is about the same. However, Augusta offers about 4 tracks within a 3 hour ride. Very convincing argument to move south. I may be nuts, but I factor racetrack access into my quality of life calculations. With four in the general area, that's pretty close to being in heaven, no?

Liked: 553

You're perfectly normal, considering race track density as a relocation factor. :-).

I don't know anything about Augusta, other than parts of it look very pretty in the spring time. I can tell you that all of the tracks in the southeast have something good to offer (variety, if nothing else).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

I'm packing my bags, see you'all real soon!!!

Thread Information