Thread: "Toy Haulers"?

Liked: 0

Default "Toy Haulers"?

I looked at a few Toy hauler RV trailers today, both tow behind and 5th wheel. Some models are pretty lightweight (5,000 - 6,000lbs) so I'll be able to tow it without a giant 1-ton dually that won't fit in my garage (see other thread).

I like the idea of being able to have sleeping quarters for the track and taking it on trips without any "toys" in it. If you have one or have had experience with one, let me know your opinions. I'm especially interested in how well they work for formula car use.

I haven't tried to fit a FC in the back, but it looks like one will fit without too much trouble (26' Weekend Warrior model).

Thanks!
    Jim

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1504

I have a Carson 25' tag toyhauler. They are nice to have at the track. You save money on hotel rooms and eating out. You are also always at the track, no issues with getting up early, breakfast at Denny's, the drive in from the hotel, etc. You can also use them as a camper when not racing, and to haul just about anything you would otherwise need to have delivered.

Cons:
    the numbers you see are empty weights. These things are HEAVY when loaded, and the vast majority of the weight is on the nose. Mine has 1300 lb of tongue weight when loaded. You'll be carrying nearly 1000lb of water if the tanks are full. If you don't have a 1T or 3/4HD you will need the biggest load leveling hitch and bars you can buy. There are a couple of guys in our club that tow these things with Suburbans, Excursions, etc. The SUVs just struggle with that much hitch weight in addition to all the crap in the back that makes a pickup into an SUV.

All of them, especially the fifth wheels, are high because they are intended to be taken to off road campsites primarily for motorcycles and dune buggies. You will need long ramps in addition to the trailer door, a means to support the door and ramps (I mounted a set of trailer jacks to the top of my door) and the tallest trailering wheels for the racecar that you can find. Wind is a major issue.

Despite the cavernous interiors, they have little storage space compared to a standard travel trailer. There's little under-coach storage. If you order one from a west coast manufacturer you can customize it for your needs . There are some neat accessories now. I deleted the rear upper queen bunk to reduce the overall height. Now they have beds that move on lifts so they can be run up to the ceiling and stored. I added another closet and some overhead cabinets.

Used ones may have structural issues, since they are wood-framed and hauled on dirt roads. Look very carefully at joints for signs that stuff is moving around under the skin. The best used ones around are old Alfa Toyhouses - they are metal framed and skinned with a wood/fiberglass/foam insulation sandwitch.

Unless you have a fifth wheel, the car has to come out so you can sleep. Even then, because of the fuel (and smells) sleeping with the car in the trailer is an iffy proposition. The furnace and fridge run on propane!

If I had to do this again I'd buy a 30' haulmark and split it into 16' of hauler, put in a wall and have a 14' living section. Much more durable and suitable for racing use, but a lot more expensive. However, I only paid $14.5K for my Carson new, I've put probably $1000 worth of doo-dads on it, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Liked: 0

There is a good Toy Hauler forum at RV.net that you may want to have a look at.....

Thread Information