Thread: Cmp Sarrc

Liked: 1

Default Cmp Sarrc

The SARRC race at CMP in 2 weeks needs cars! The SC Region is even giving a discount to the FC and FA cars!! $50 off what everyone else has to pay. That is a good sign...hey they want us to come!

So far not too many guys have signed up ..come on save 50 bucks.+ we are group 1 again.

There's 1 FB Stohr entered but they have him in with the FF/ F5 cars? Whats up with that?
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Liked: 555

Wow. That's kinda interesting that a region would want to encourage participation in specific classes. Do the formula car groups get the same amount of track time for less money? I wonder what the other classes think of that.

Wish I could make it, but not far enough along in my conversion project.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 0

Default We're in

Dad & I will be racing
    2 more FCs to the list

Liked: 115

Default Cff

Gaither & Yow hope to make it in CFF. I suspect that some other CFF's might be there. Allison? Walker? Drastal? Barbru?

Liked: 2

Default I plan...

to make it. Of course I planned on making Rockingham last weekend. Then, about 7 miles north of Ellerbe on Friday PM, my RV decided it didn't want the inside left dually anymore. It blew and wound around the axle, effectively locking the left rear. After a brief test of my driving talent, we got stopped in a very dark and lonely place.

Many hundreds of dollars later, I limped back to my home in Troutman on Saturday. The tire had ripped up the air suspension on that side so the flat spotted tire was a bit noisy and uncomfortable, jarring the entire chassis each time the flat spot made contact with the asphalt.

If the RV can be repaired in time, I'll try and get the Crossle out to CMP.

Mike

Default Talk to Richard

Mike- Sorry to hear about your trip to Rockingham. That whole drive is pretty much in the middle of no where.

If you are still having issues at the end of the month with the RV, talk to Richard about transport to CMP- He is taking both of our cars down.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah Justin I see your on line..... Are yall ready? Is your dad's car ready?

Can anyone beat Chuck?

5 FC's and 1 FB, thats more than I thought would sign up. Might be fun if Im not last. Went and bought a new car and I still have the oldest car?
    Mark Hatheway

Default Results

Saturday-
    1- Chuck Cecil
    2- Justin Smith
    3- Mark Hatheway
    4- Bruce Jensen
    5- Gary Smith

Sunday
    1- Bruce Jensen
    2- Chuck Cecil
    3- Justin Smith
    4- Gary Smith
    5 Mark Hatheway

Saturday was lead start to finish by Chuck- no challengers. Best race was between Gary and Mark fighitng for 3rd place. The two swaped places multiple time each lap until Gary put it off.

Sunday was a dogfight for 1st. Chuck lead with me in tow and Bruce right behind. I tagged along under Chuck's rear wing until Chuck put it off with 3 or 4 to go. I assume the lead and run in 1st for a lap and a half then I looped it going into T1 trying to pass lapped traffic (I won't do that again). Bruce took the lead and Chuck slipped thru as I put the car in gear. Two laps to go I hunted down Chuck (P2) as he was searching for a radio that came loose in the car. Last lap last turn Chuck brakes late- I brake early to get a monster run down the front straight- to much power and I loop it again. Refired and drift home to take third.

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default Spinmaster

Gosh Justin, I just can't imagine you spinning twice in one race at CMP!
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 11

Thanks for the report... how did the FB do? Who was it and how did his times compare to the FCs?
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Default Fb

He was placed in the FF/ FV/ F500 group- Seemed off the pace; maybe still sorting the car out?? I think he was in the 1:46 range FC was in the 1:41- 1:42

Default We were there

Thats not fair Scott. Ive only thrown 1 race away in 5 years and I did it yesterday on L-2. In perspective sometimes I'm not so fast. The track was so slick that to go fast you were always on the verge of the car coming around without any notice.

Justin... and Chuck for that matter were simply flying, pushing each other to the limit. This was also a very clean race, there was NO contact between the 5 FC's at any time during the weekend and we were all within a second or two of each other.
    For the first 2 laps yesterday we were all lined up nose to tail swapping positions almost every corner, until I looped it out of P-4.

On Sat Gary and myself went 8 laps swapping positions at least twice a lap never making contact.
    Nobody was saying ....Oh it was my tires or he cut me off ...just hard racing.

Chuck ran a great race on Sat. doing what everyone thought he would do..Win.

Bruce played it cool his first time at CMP and took it all yesterday...great drive.

I'm kinda down on myself today for throwing away the race yesterday but it was hard racing and things will go my way another day!

Justin can drive fast, he got everything out of his RMR prepared car, were all gonna be in trouble the end of the month at RRR with its new pavement, if Justin and Chuck can put more power down and Gary gets his engine running .

Its going to be a long season if I don't find some more speed.

PS there wasn't any pollen at CMP either.
    Last edited by Mark H; 04.02.07 at 8:54 PM.
    Mark Hatheway

Default Envy...

is a shameful thing, but I envy all of you. Once again, I didn't even get to the false grid at CMP.

Had everything ready to go in practice, short ten minutes. About where I was last year, but 3rd of 3 CFF. Where were the other three that entered??? (John?)

In qualifying I was running ok and about midway we were Black Flagged all for a car parked outside the Carrousel? Anyway, I went out first after the cleanup, trying to get a couple of clean laps and managed a slow spin in the first right hander after the long straight. I rejoined behind a pack of FV's and began to get around them. I passed 4 together on the long straight and I braked in my normal spot for the lefthander. Imagine my surprise at the loud thump from the rear and the next thing I see is a black FV barrel rolling off to my right. I ground to a halt, turned 180 degrees around.

I looked over at the Vee, now on my left as I faced oncoming traffic. It was upside down, resting on the driver. I couldn't see the driver clearly, but he didn't seem to be moving. I restarted, cleared the impact zone I was in and got out of the Crossle. By now the rescue folks were at the Vee so I surveyed my car. Right rear suspension was shot but no frame damage.

By now they had redflagged and I wandered over to the emergency vehicle. The driver was out, covered with a lot of sandy CMP "soil" and seemingly alert. I asked about his condition, he said fine. I asked what happened? He replied, "I don't know, it happened so fast".

I wanted to reply, in a Vee? but I just walked away.

Anyway, his car looked like a writeoff. He hit my right rear tire with his left front while braking for a left hander. Where do you suppose his right tires were?

All the damage is bolt on but Geez.

See y'all sometime down the road.

Mike

Default Ouch

Geez, and I thought I had a bad weekend! Glad no one was hurt. Do you remember the FV driver's name? I guess the CFF field got thinned pretty quick. Randall & I were scratched on Friday afternoon. Joe Riley's engine didn't get finished. Steve Brooks was fast on Friday. Anyone got results?

Default Missing CF at CMP

Hated to have missed the weekend - CMP one of my favorite tracks. Should have the engine back in a week or so and be at the Roebling Road SARRC.

Mike - so sorry about the bad luck - please come back ASAP.

From the entry: Black FV, Scott Ross from Tallahassee. Hope is is fine.
    Joe

Darn guys I'm sorry I missed ya ll this weekend and about your problems. Mike was the Vee trying to out brake you? What was his deal?

John I always seem to be getting to CMP right after you have left, didn't you have an axle problem at this event last year on test day?

Steve won on Sat and CC won on Sun in CFF... A guy in a DB-1 took both days in FF, sweet looking car and nearly beating a new FB to boot!

There was going to be a nice turn out of CFF/FF cars this weekend ....at least it seemed so, hope ya ll can get em back out for the Jim Stark.
    Mark Hatheway

Default My mistake...

It was actually a very dark blue, driven by Nelson (Chip) Leonard. He was ok physically and i never got a chance to have any further talks. We were taken in on the hook and he went to Medical. My mechanic, John Morris, cleverly used a ratchet tie down to pull the right side lower suspension together, thus raising the ride height, straightening the toe out and we were able to drive to the trailer and load up rather quickly.

I hope to have (or should I say Richard Morgan will likely have) my Zink Z10C ready by the next SARRC round at VIR May 12-13.

At any rate, as far down as I was on Sunday, I've rebounded now that Monday's over.

see y'all soon.

Mike

Default Chip

I really hate to hear that. Chip is my dentist and one of my oldest friends. I helped him buy his first FV almost 30 years ago & he has been in the class ever since. tons of experience, obviously. Really hate this happened for both of you. Chip had only recently gotten the car going again from a total rebuild. He's brave but not known to be reckless. His Agitator is only one of 6 ever built. The first was the one I raced against in '76 when Jim
    Brookshire, the designer, won the FV national championship. Chip and I owned an airplane together once as well & we often flew in instrument conditions. A good guy for sure.

Look forward to seeing your Z10. Mine could have used some of Richard's expertise.

Default Photos

Blue/ White- Justin Smith
    Yellow/ Pink - Chuck Cecil
    White/ Yellow- Gary Smith
    Black/ Yellow- Mark Hatheway
    Last edited by jattus; 10.30.07 at 3:07 PM.

Liked: 30

Default From one who did the same...

Mike, make sure you check the suspension really well. We were involved in a similar incident our Crossle' & the pick-up points look OK as well, but here was a very small crack in the lower pock-up at the frame that caused some real handling headaches until I found it during the following year winter inspection.

DaveK

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

"Thats not fair Scott."
    Mark, The last time I was at CMP Justin earned that name by spinning twice in the race that weekend also. After spinning once he repassed me, only to spin again on the last lap. I remember waving at him as I went by to the finish!
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RacerDave51 View Post
    Mike, make sure you check the suspension really well. We were involved in a similar incident our Crossle' & the pick-up points look OK as well, but here was a very small crack in the lower pock-up at the frame that caused some real handling headaches until I found it during the following year winter inspection.

DaveK

Thanks, Dave. This corner has been reworked a couple of times and I hear you, reickup points and frame cracks. We'll probably be removing the engine now that I'll have the rear half apart anyway. It's been feeling a little tired lately. That'll give us a chance to look her over.

Mike

PS: What model Crossle do you have and where?
    Last edited by Mike Allison; 04.03.07 at 12:32 PM. Reason: add PS

Thread Information