Liked: 0

Default Maximum Height of Aerodynamic Device

Loking through the GCR it says the maximum height of any aerodynamic dvice is RIM Height. I know I'm stupid, because I have no idea what that means. Would someone be willing to enlighten me? Thanks.
    Ian MacLeod
    "Happy Hour: 5:00 - 5:30"
    Tatuus F1k

Liked: 1403

I'll give it a shot. I wonder if the guys who wrote the rules took a look at this.

That -- item E -- means the maximum height of any aero dynamic device forward of the front axel. It also could refer to any aero dynamic device in the area defined as the "front over hang", item B in the chart.

This rule goes back to the days of "sports car noses" and other devices to fair in the front tires. I would think it would apply to front end fences, wings, winglets and deflectors. In general any thing but the main body of the car.

I can see some F1 look alike cars getting in trouble with this rule.

Only a guess.

Liked: 1880

If you go back to an early 90's GCR - something before '92 I believe - you will see that the rule was for the maximum height of any bodywork ahead of the axle centerline. It was changed to "aerodynamic devices" after Van Dieman started importing cars that were illegal in that regard. Unfortunately, they did not clarify what exactly and "aerodynamic device" was at the same time.

To be safe, you would want to consider affected devices to be as Steve stated - wings, winglets, end fences, deflectors, barg boards, etc. I don't know if within that group you would include things more esoteric like pitot tubes.

Thread Information