Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hans

Gregg Baker

Originally posted by DaveW:
    HMMMMM...

Here's an idea - take the Isaac dampers and use them with the HANS unit in place of the Nylon straps...

Has anyone tried this?
    Dave,

Good idea. We thought of this but never tried it.

It would work. You would have to tune the damping coefficient (stiffness) and stroke of the damper, but the result would be a slowing of the head before the "end of the rope" was reached. The effect that Jon Horgas experienced with his HANS device (see above post) would be lessened.

One little problem: The HANS patent includes the use of a monolothic, rigid structure; our's includes the use of a damper. One company would have to grant a license to the other, which is fine with us.

Liked: 0

I was also thinking about this when I started looking at safety devices.

You guys should really team up to make the ultimate safety device

Gregg Baker

Originally posted by Eric E.:
    You guys should really team up to make the ultimate safety device
    Eric,

We are willing to provide the damper technology to the HANS folks, but I doubt they would take it.

Liked: 25

The current, May/June, issue of Vintage Motorsport has a long article on head and neck restraints with quotes from the designers. I have not read it carefully enough to evaluate whether it adds any new insights. Comments?
    - Frank C

Gregg Baker

Originally posted by Frank C:
    ...I have not read it carefully enough to evaluate whether it adds any new insights. Comments?
    - Frank C
    There were some technical errors, but for the most part it was well written. It could have used more reseach--either that or the author elected to avoid detail.

I am still waiting for an article that includes a summary comparison of all products--with real numbers.

Liked: 11

FWIW-

I rented an Isaac this past weekend at VIR. For $65 I got the system, a wired helmet, plus shipping both ways...

I really liked it. Didn't notice it was there once underway- it is a bit annoying while driving around the padock as it limits your ability to turn your head but even that was no big deal. Its very easy to remove for quick exits- getting in requires practice or another set of hands.

Couple of thoughts on the Hans... after reading some discussion on the PP BBS they pointed out that it is possible to get stuck trying to exit a car by the yoke of the hans catching the window frame. Not a big problem for us, but I would like to be able to use my system in a tin- top should I ever decide to go that route. Also, it seems like the Hans would force your head to be a bit more forward while driving as the yoke does take up some space... does not seem as comfortable.

Lastly, the Isaac system is priced a good bit lower than the Hans. I wish they were both less expensive but understand that they will have to start selling a ton more to get the price down. The market is just not that large.

I plan on buying an Isaac. Might be before CMP, might try to get it as a 'group' b-day present in July (relatives love buying safety- esp the ones who were at RA when I went over!) but I will definately be buying one.

I think we can ALL agree that some safety system should be employed.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 3787

DaveW put his Hans to the ultimate test this past weekend. He's smiling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information