Liked: 0

Default VanDieman RF88 worth a conversion?

I am almost finished restoring a 1988 RF88 VanDieman FC. I have a 2.0 L motor and hewland gearbox ready to go. I have an 02 GSXR1000 motor kit ready to go. Now the question. Ancient technology or high performance? I am at the decision point as to what engine to install. Is there anyone that has the plans (for sale) for the less than engineer, but capable shop to convert one of these dinosaurs of the racetrack to MC power? Has anyone successfully done an RF88 or RF89? I realize this will not be a race winning combo, I just want to get out and start putting down some laps in this rig. The pinto motor does not do anything for me, the hewland gear box seems like a nightmare if I have problems with it. I will entertain your opinions. I own GSXR0NLY.com and obvioulsy I want to do GSXR power as that would work very well with my business. I appreciate all the smart people on this forum and look forward to the insight.

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by aceperk View Post
    I am almost finished restoring a 1988 RF88 VanDieman FC. ... The pinto motor does not do anything for me, the hewland gear box seems like a nightmare... I own GSXR0NLY.com and obvioulsy I want to do GSXR power as that would work very well with my business.
    Looks to me that you have answered your own question...
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Stan,
    Thank you for caputuring the obvious, but I was looking for a bit more depth than what is obviously ALL of our desires, which is to have MC power. That is why we are viewing this forum. The REAL question is, Does anyone have engineered PLANS that are available for sale to fabricate this conversion? Approximate cost, favored materials, prefferable welding techniquies ( I understand the Early VanD's are Brazed?) and basically if anyone is aware of a member in their club that has converted an old Vandieman. There, is that a bit clearer?

Liked: 309

Hey, I'm really good at capturing the blindingly obvious...!

I believe that at least Matt Conrad and Mike Devins are entertaining selling kits, though I don't know about plans. In the meantime, if you haven't studied these threads, you will want to do so soon. They might give you some ideas as well as points of contact.

RussMcB's RF-94 conversion

Mike B's RF-93 conversion

Hopefuly others will chime in with even better info...

Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 126

Opinions may vary...

But here's mine - worth maybe a cup of coffee.

I don't think you could recoup your investment if you convert an older car like that. It all depends on what you want though. But I would not do it.

Liked: 1

Default RF88 Conversion

There are pics of an RF89 running around somewhere that was converted to Yamaha R1 power....

Go HERE

The GSX-R1000 install won't be dramatically different.

As far as is it worth it....I'm in agreement with Rob....probably not if you'll need to recoup your investement. But if you just want a fun car to go do some racing in (and promote your website too) then I don't think you'll regret it.

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC

Liked: 1

Default Rf89

If the car is a viable FC- consider outfitting for Club Continental - the technology will be mainstram for that class - you might have a local group or if there is not a local group, consider marketing the car to people in areas where CFC is prospering. I kow of at least two similar vintage cars currently beging converted to CFC. There are strong run groups in the northeast and midwest and some emerging in the southeast. who knows might be a winning combination.

David

Thanks for all of the info. I appreciate it. Looks pretty thin on the RF88 RF89 conversions. I may be finishing and selling a real nice RF88 with logbooks.

Liked: 555

A thought: Sell the RF88 and buy a RF90-95, then do the conversion. It seems like the 90-95 (and newer) Van Diemen conversions are going to be somewhat popular. With the newer model, you'll have a bigger pool of knowledge, a more competitive car, and it will probably be worth a bit more when you're done. The RF88 would be a fun car, but a later car would be better in several respects.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Thread Information