Liked: 113

Default FSV Drivers wanted

OK Guys,

I'm the new kid on the vintage block. I have (as of this coming Friday) a new toy and I want to play. It appears that some ground work has already been laid on another site, but it looks like it pertains more to pre-1980 air cooled cars.

Here's my idea, I would like to work with whoever is out there and plan an event for all of our FSV's to race in 2007.

What do you think?

Let's get the ideas flowing now so we have time to pull this off. These cars raced at some big venues, Belle Isle, Cleveland, Michigan International Speedway, Long Beach, not to mention Road America, Mid-Ohio, Laguna Seca, Watkins Glen, etc...I know that their is a vintage Atlantic event at Trois Rivieres and I also know that "Back in the Day" Super Vee's also raced their during their heyday. It would be great to find an event (or that event, with permission) to bring everyone next season

Post here, or email me, with you comments, suggestions and ideas. Any of you who have websites, or information, already in place, please let me know how I can help. I am not trying to take over work that has already been accomplished, rather offer my assistance (and persistence) to find this next generation of historic races cars a place to run and gather.

...as the VW shirt says... "Drivers Wanted"

Chris Robson
    R Motorsports
    swiftdb2@aol.com
    (860) 429-2334

P.S. 80's Atlantic guys, are you up for this? the more the merrier, car counts speak to promoters...
    Chris Robson
    Accelerated Performance Coaching
    http://APCDriving.com

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1490

There was a FSV reunion at Watkins Glen about five years back, should be about time for another. Might have been organized under Monoposto, but I think Dom Billera was the driving force behind it.

You need his mailing list.

All right all you FSV’ers,

The first step is admitting you have a problem…

Here is what I have done. Below is the list of SuperVee's and their current/last know drivers. With the permission of David R Flesher I have "lifted" this from the Historic SuperVee Registry. (SEE ATTACHED)

I am not, nor do I wish to take credit for it, or do I want to dismiss the fine work that went on to prepare the list to this point. I am just trying to get it out to a broader spectrum of viewers who might benefit. I do have the whole list with emails, but I want to get confirmation and permission before I provide them.

So…..
    • If you are on the list,
    • not on the list,
    • should be on the list,
    • have information regarding cars on the list,
    • have maintained a car on the list,
    or
    • have a different list,
    Please contact me with any information, updates, deletes, address changes, etc. I will honor all requests of anonymity regarding, phone, email and personal address, if you so desire. Please, if possible, provide as much information, photo’s, data or, even results as possible. I would like to see this information maintained, or pass it on to some else who would like to further maintain and continue this program.

PLEASE NOTE: This is for ALL SuperVee, drivers, their cars, and crew, not just air-cooled, not just flat bottomed, ALL SuperVee's. We are fortunate to have 3 distinct transitions in our history. It is great that the air-cooled cars are already welcomed into most vintage weekends, now it is time to gather the rest of the "herd". air-cooled, flat bottomed, and ground effects.

I look forward to hearing from any and all of you.

Chris Robson
    R Motorsports
    MartiniMK47@aol.com
    Last edited by Chris Robson; 10.21.06 at 10:17 PM. Reason: New email address (more Apexspeed appropriate)
    Chris Robson

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Chris,
    I think you will be able to find the 1977 Argo converted from air to water (the Pomeroy Argo) is / was recently owned by Brian elliot of Dayton Ohio.

I think he has the same folks take / took care of it that do Larry Connor's cars.

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Chris, You have mail.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Actually Chris, four eras:

A/C, no wings, treaded tires
    A/C wings, flatbottom, slicks
    W/C wings 1600, flatbottom, slicks
    W/C ground effect, up to 1800

VARA rolls #2 & #3 together and gives the A/C cars a bump to 2L to make them more competitive with each other as a means to get them to come out, but there aren't a lot of A/C cars that get on the track anymore.

I'm on the list but the car needs a new tub.

I have a total POS RP-9 tub for anyone that wants it. Free, new owner pays shipping.

Default Let me hear from you...

Hi Guys,

I have had a few responses so far, but not a lot. I have more information regarding the cars on the list and I am working on getting some history regarding each make. If you email me with your information (car, chassis tag, contact information, etc) I will send you the "full" version. I have broken it down by chassis. If you have some history on the make and would like to share it, I will be more than happy to put it with the chassis info. Even if you have some photo's of your car, or an event, scan them and send them to me. I am going to do my best to start cataloging this info.

Its bench racing season, F1 is over, CART is all but finished, lets hear from you.

Chris Robson
    R Motorsports
    MartiniMK47@aol.com
    (note new address to prove I'm one of you guys...)
    Chris Robson

Liked: 29

Default Super Vee

Chris:

Good going, taking the initiative on this. I've got a very rare March 83V, and quite a few bits from the RT-5 that I sold. I'll be getting in touch.

Jim Gustafson
    SCCA Racer Since 1970

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Barry Burke in cincinnati has a RT-5.

Chuck Deitrich in Sandusky has the 86 Martini that Didier Theys won the pro series with.

You can get in touch with Chuck through Denny Sideri.

West Coast guys I can think of:

Ed Stoops - Anson SA6
    Rich Wilkinson - March 80, 2 Ralt RT-5s, a TUI BH-5, a RaceResearch, and an Air Cooled car
    Marc Crocetti - Winkleman (AC)
    Jerry Urban (colorado) - Winkleman (AC)
    Charlie Smith (Nebraska) - Royale RP-14 (AC)
    Dan Longacre - Ralt RT-5
    Sean Allen - Ralt RT-5
    Bill Barham - Lola (AC)
    Rod O'Connor - Ralt RT-5
    Paul Lisec - Ralt RT-5
    JD Stewart - Ralt RT-5
    Steve Brown - Ralt RT-5
    Stewart Crow - Ralt RT-5 (ran it out here a couple of times a few years back)
    Two more AC cars from NorPac whose owners name's I can't recall right now, and another SA-6 in SoCal.

You should post announcements on the major Vintage websites, since not all the guys get over to Apexspeed much. VARA, HSR, HSR West, RMVR, CSRG, SOVREN, etc.

when you get farther along, contact Victory Lane and they will probably run a blurb for you.

Liked: 8

Default One More Super Vee

I have one of the Royale RP18's on your list....actually an RP18A.

It is under restoration, frame is painted, new side panels formed, suspension replated, new rod ends..........

I remarried and moved, working to get the new garage finished so I can put it all back together this winter!

Belair / Cliff von Hoene

Liked: 126

This is not a plug, and sorry to alter the subject of the thread, but I have an 1800cc VW Watercooled block sitting here in the garage. Anyone can come get it for free. In CT.

Rob

Liked: 0

Default Searching for FSV history

[SIZE=2]Just last week I purchased a Lola FSV and am about to start a restoration. The previous owner past away this summer and I bought the car from his widow. I am trying to trace the chassis number and the original owner. It appears that the car had a replacement tub as the current tub does not have a serial number and the widow does not know if there is a logbook somewhere. All the widow can tell me is that it was bought back in 1991 from someone at the westcoast. [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Car could be a T-322 or a T-324. If you know of anyone that remembers selling a Lola FSV in 1991to a Canadian called Mike Elliott, I would sure appreciate it. [/SIZE][SIZE=2]There is spare bodywork with the car which is blue and white and appears to be old enough to perhaps be the original bodywork. It has a front nose with the oilcooler opening (as in the picture) and a non cooler nose. Also have long tail engine cover and short tail cover. [/SIZE]
    Last edited by Canspeed; 11.06.06 at 12:59 AM.

Default Still looking for history

Hi,

I am still looking for history on my 1974 or 1975 Lola FSV. Does anybody recognize this bodywork? I think it may have been on the car in the mid 1970's on the westcoast. Car was sold to Canada to Mike Elliott in Vancouver, BC in the early 1990's.

Anybody? Any ideas?

Regards,

Kees Nierop

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    Chris,
    I think you will be able to find the 1977 Argo converted from air to water (the Pomeroy Argo) is / was recently owned by Brian elliot of Dayton Ohio.

I think he has the same folks take / took care of it that do Larry Connor's cars.

The former Brian Elliott Argo, along with Pete McNamara's '79 March FSV have new owners on the upper west coast. You might try looking up John Street. He frequents the S2000 site.

BTW--- McNamara Motorsports does not take care of Larry's cars. Up until recently that was done by Tom Knapp. I'm not really sure who is doing Larry's stuff now that Knapp has gone to Highcroft.

FSV are great cars and we would love to see more of them show up to help the open-wheel grids!

Brandon

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Another Ralt RT-5 (86 Specs) owner is Ron Dykes. He's advertised his as being for sale in a bunch of the vintage mags in the past couple of months.

Rich,

I still have and race both of my GRIFFITH (FSV) and would be interested in participating. You should also contact Bertils the premier engine builder for the FSV's as he would be a great source for information.

Cheers,
    Denny S.
    (330) 352-5475

Liked: 104

I think this looks interesting. I am between cars right now, and my Wife (Crew Chief) has asked that I go get another car!
    I suggested to her, as a change of pace, a GT-1 and she was quick to inform me that only an open wheel car will be acceptable. (Wives, what a pain!)
    At any rate, I had an RT-5 for a while in the early 90's and I think a vintage eligible FSV might be just the ticket.
    It's gotta have wings but would prefer flat bottom era....anyone have a Lola 320 series for sale?
    I'd like one just like the red one in the post above me........
    Thanks!

John, see:

http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/formulasupervee.htm

The riley is kind of interesting......

Liked: 104

Thanks Rick,
    I've looked at that ad and, well ah, without seeming too condescending or rude, ah, well, it's just not a very pretty car, if you know what I mean?
    I need a car that looks good in the garage when I'm having an adult beverage and just staring at it.

Liked: 77

Default Lola 328

This message is for Canspeed. That is my dads old car. It is a 1978 Lola 328. I can give you info on the car from 1980 - 1986.Here is a pic of the car as we received it at the end of 1979 (I was 9 years old when we got that car) So I can only give you what I remember.Anyway here is a pic.

Jeff
    JR

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most ! "

Liked: 77

Default another pic

Kees,

Here is a pic of the car right after it was re-tubbed by Bahner. I believe that this was in 1983. Coming out of turn 9 at Laguna (now turn 11). Notice the side pods and closed nose. The coolers were moved to the side pods. My father fabricated the sidepods with pretty crude tunnels in them.The car had to be re-tubbed after a huge shunt at Laguna the last race of the season in 1980. Anyway this pic is not very good. I will try to dig out more pics later. I hope this helps.

Jeff
    JR

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most ! "

Liked: 2

Default Zeitler FSV (AC) owner

I have a vintage(1970) Zeitler FSV (AC). Car was driven by John Magee of upstate New York in 1970 and 71. Car needs restored but is extraordinarily original (still has the original paint with John's name on the side). I traced John to his old phone # and address but his son lived there and said he would give his dad my contact information. But...never recieved any return calls fron John. If anyone knows John I would appreciate getting in contact with him to discuss the car's history...unless of course he does not want to do this for some reason???? Also would like to be placed on the FSV owners list. I race with RMVR here in Colorado and my personal contact information is:
    Bob Miller
    9696 Bayou Ridge Trail
    Parker, Co 80134
    Phone (303) 841-7418

Default Historic FSV registry

Welcome Bob,

I have added your information and emailed a copy of the registry to you. I think you will find this forum is a wealth of information.

Now that the new year is upon us, lets get back to finding these cars and getting them out. If anyone knows of someone they race with, please get them to send their information. I am working with a vintage group who is looking to expand its open wheel offerings. We might ahve an "in", but not if I can't bring any cars to the table.

I have been in contact with some "converted" FSV owners, but I know that there are still a lot of you tunnel-heads that are lurking in the wings...

Chris Robson
    R-Motorsports
    Chris Robson

Default Please add my car to your list.

Chris,

I noticed you did not have my car on your list.

It is the Lynx water-cooled flat-bottomed Super Vee. This car was driven by John Kalagian in the '78 and '79 Series and by me in a few races in the '80 and '81 Series. It is equipped with a Heidegger 1600cc motor. I'll send you an e-mail with specific chassis identification numbers as soon as I can "dig out" the Log Book.

The car is basically all in one piece, but, of course needs to be completely gone through because it has been sitting since it came off the track at Brainard in 1981.

Thanks for all your work. "Stooper" Vee's Rock!!!

Roberto.

Thread Information