Liked: 0

Default What is a "roller"?

Hi folks,

Probably a stupid question with an obvious answer, but here goes anyway...

Is there a common perception of what constitutes a formula car "roller"?

Okay, it's generally a rolling chassis (wheels, suspension ARB's, dampers, springs, etc) that comes without an "engine", but with the transaxle. But what about all of the other parts needed to make a complete car? Is it determined on a case-by-case basis between buyer and seller?

Maybe it's easier to ask what an "engine" comprises?

I would assume the following components are a given to be included with a roller: chassis, suspension arms, wheels, shocks, steering rack, brake system, electrical harness, links, radiator(s), body panels, seat, steeering wheel, shifter, pedals, ARB's and linkage, fuel cell and vent line, sump tank, oil pan if it's specific to the car, etc.

I'm more curious about the following: instruments/gauges, starter, starter shaft/mechanism (if applicable), clutch, clutch linkage (if applicable), fire bottle system, (harness) belts, battery, water/oil hoses and lines, coil.

Am I about 50/50 in the second group?

For my CF, the engine/motor was in the car when I bought it and has been rebuilt by a local race shop. Therefore I'm not familiar with what one gets when one buys a "complete" motor from Ivey, Justice, etc. The motor comes carb-to-pan with prepped flywheel and distributor? And that's what slips into a "roller"?

Thanks in advance,
    Erik
    Last edited by Shep; 01.28.07 at 6:01 PM. Reason: forgot the fuel cell...

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

"Is it determined on a case-by-case basis between buyer and seller?"
    Shep, I would say your question is your best answer. Seems to vary with car & seller.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default 2 more.

Bought a car once that was missing everything from the roll bar back. That was a "Wheel Barrow" and a car with no suspension is a "slider"

Liked: 48

Quote Originally Posted by D.T. Benner View Post
    Bought a car once that was missing everything from the roll bar back. That was a "Wheel Barrow" and a car with no suspension is a "slider"

I always thought a slider was a car that was missing the engine and the gearbox but included the suspension and uprights.

I normally assume when someone suggest "roller" it usually means minus engine (bottom end, head, intake, carb, flywheel). I do however think it should include the headers, clutch, pan if a stressed pan, starter, and what every misc. stuff that might be unique to the chassis.

Ian
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Liked: 447

Definitely a case by case basis. I would constitute a roller as a car in the state the owner wants to keep the engine and everything that goes with it when it's yanked. So the clutch, carb, starter, etc.... you'd be on your own to replace.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 0

Default Thanks

Thanks guys,

Kinda what I thought, but I wondered if there was some "standard". I like Ian's assumption as a buyer. (and thanks - I'd forgotten to list the header).

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default assumptions?

You mean like what you" Assume" when you read the car for sale add that sayes- "top car maintained by a pro operation" and end up with a whipped "Rent a Racer" that was jumped over every curb on every track by Johnny Go-Kart and then put up for sale? Boy do I know a bunch of people who have bought those dogs because they "assumed" to much.

Thread Information