Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Default RF-98 conversion

[SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]Just thought that it would be fun to show off Clark Lincoln's art work. This was done using the RF98-99 with the 01 nose that is for sale on the forum.[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]The tail is the one that I did for Mike Sirianni's DSR. I’m still looking for a reasonably priced donor chassis or a willing victim.[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]
    Last edited by Mike Devins; 03.27.13 at 7:02 PM.

Liked: 11

That looks sweet! The engine cover is exactly what I plan to do eventually...
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

The car on the right is downright beautiful .....but repainted and sold.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Default RF-98 engine cover

Sean,

The cover mold is completed based on the DSR trim and I got a call today from what appears to be my first victim. I just have to add the gates to the mold to have it mount up to the stock VanDiemen FC. They are available for sale now if you want to do your own trim,

I also attached some pictures of the inlets and the relation to the airbox.

And Bob, thanks for letting us use your car!

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Devins; 03.27.13 at 7:02 PM.

I would definately be interested... wonder how much different our framework is and what I'd have to do w. the sides... make new ones? Add in the scoops?
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Default Egine cover

I've got an RF95, I would be willing to make a direct fit if I had an order. Sean give me a call, this will take some coordination to make sure that we have clearance.

Mike

Liked: 3787

At Sebring both the Prince DSRs had wizzy pop off valves on the side of their airboxes. Evidently to prevent 'pulsing' inside the box from air being crammed in at different speeds.

Ask Sean, he saw them also.

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Devins View Post
    I've got an RF95, I would be willing to make a direct fit if I had an order. Sean give me a call, this will take some coordination to make sure that we have clearance.

Mike
    I'm interested, too.

I was looking at my engine cover tonight and noticed it has a big bulge on the left side, presumably for the Pinto carb. Would your RF95 F1000 engine cover be more symetrical?

I'm probably making a wheelbase change, which could throw a monkey wrench into this option for me.

I'm also not sure I'm ready to abandon the air intake behind the helmet. Does it have any significant pros or cons?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1492

could those valves be there to prevent blowing the airbox apart with a backfire? Those things are big with the current Porsche crowd. I've seen them touted a lot on Rennspeed (not that that means anything- I've never seen such a bunch of gadget-lovers!)

Russ - you could obtain a FF engine cover, split the FC and FF covers and join them back together to eliminate the bulge. I think there's also some asymmetry in the aft sidepod covers of the 94/95.

Default Engine cover

Sean,

I now that when you did your car you modified the existing Engine cover, we tried to do the same with the RF98 and had nothing but swiss cheese left to work with. I cut a series of templates and then made the cover from scratch.

Russ,

Overhead or on the side? I was able to reused the stock air box intact with this design and I liked the way it looks. Both Lee and Matt have opted for the overhead approach, I would be interested to hear there reasoning. My guess would be cleaner air to the air box and possibly less disturbance of air to the wing.

We had also looked a using a Zetec style induction but it ruled out de to time and cost.

We had to add about 1" to the bottom of the cover for it to meet up with the lower pieces. I'd also like to get rid of the buldge.

Only advantage to leaving the intake thats behind your head might be to assist engine cooling... its where my car takes the air in but its really not optimal as my big head blocks most of the air. I'm with Russ on this as well and hope to leave the intake.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Thread Information