Liked: 0

I've heard that the '85 Reynard (Swift look-alike) design had serious problems and was improved slightly in '86 before a redesign for '87.

I'm looking for any info on the problems and possible fixes for the '85 design.

Thanks

Isn't anyone that was ever involved with an '85 willing to admit it? You can use an alias if you want, I just need info

Liked: 1

Default Answers...if you haven't gotten by now

Hi Kent; Sorry, didn't see your post until now. Major problem with the original non Adrian Reynard design was the rear push rod suspension. Very difficult or impossible to set up. As a result, many drivers when the car was new reverted back to the 84 Rocker design which made the car great to drive, but too late in the season to make an impact against the Swifts. Another problem I had with my 85/86 was cooling and trapping air bubbles in the block. Put a bleeder on the pump, drilled a bigger hole in the swril pot baffle plate, burped the hoses continually with the car at a 45 degree angle, and it finally cooled down. Not sure which of the forementioned made it work. Other than those problems the car was great fun to drive and had no major faults after that. Good luck Allan

Contributing Member

Default 1985 Reynard

Allan is correct. It was the first non-Adrian designed 1600. It was designed by Weit Huidecoper and was a copy of the Swift, with a push rod suspension. Kinda reminds me of a DB6, except not as fast. Adrian was off doing the F3 project I believe. Weit later went on to form Vector and built a pretty good car. Curtis, correct me if I am wrong.

I still have my 85F, which was my first car. It was converted to an 84 rear end. Not a bad first car and roomy cockpit. I have never had any overheating issues with it. If you have any questions on this car, please email directly.

There are not many out there. Jeremy Treadway ran one years ago in the NARRC with success. Don't know if he has any notes on his.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1908

Don't let the success Treadway had with that 85 fool you. That success was due to the driver alone! I engineered that car for the previous owner and for Jeremy. The car was a nightmare to drive. I know because I drove it a few times and it was the most unforgiving car I ever sat in. It had ZERO feel in the rear end. It also liked to break the front shock rockers, pivot shafts and Sway bars . We ran that car at Bridgehampton a bunch of times and I don't think we ever made a full weekend without breaking something. Do yourself a favor and cut the back half off the car and put something on that works!

Good luck, Mike Agnifilo
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default 85 Reynard

...as they said, most of the 85s that were reasonably successful went back to the 84 rear rockers. Aesthetically, the 85 was probably the prettiest car ever made. Unfortunately, its performance didn't match its looks. There were a number of features that I liked, including the use of the same upright on all four corners, but in the end, the car just wasn't competitive.

I wouldn't let that stop me, though, as I know that you're a talented driver, and if you run regionals, you'll be successful.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Contributing Member bryancohnracing's Avatar
    Liked: 16

Default 85 Reynard Thoughts

I'll wiegh in with my two cents worth:

Toi cure the rear end problems, we built a front motor mount that tied into the cylinder head and the ears on a cast Titan oil pan. We replaced the honeycomb aluminum cockpit side panels with round cross tubes to stiffen the chassis as well. I was able to install a rear sway bar of about 3/4 o.d. and then went to a blade ajustable type rear bar. Man that was an improvment!

We changed the routing of the water, we made the flow go from one rad to the other instead of being split between the two. No cooling problems in the Midwest during the hot, muggy summer months!

My driver won the Mid Div Regional Championship in 1995, won a National in 1996 plus ran up front in National during both seasons.

Biggest problem we had wasthe bolts that held the bell cranks in place up front kept unscrewing themselves! I never did figure that one out...

Each and every car has it's low points and it's high points. Many cars got a bad rap back inthe day cause they were difierent and not every Joe Speedy could make it go fast.

Me? I love odd, wierd but wonderful cars!

So, in closing, if you want to be like everyone else, buy a 1990 and newer Van Dieman, or a Swift DB1 or convert a DB-6. You prove something to yourself and others? Then buy that 85 Reynard, or that 85/86 Van Dieman or a 87-89 Reynard or a Crossle 60 F or a Mondial or a Ray.

I know what I'd buy, but then I've pretty much owned all of the above!

Good luck and have fun!!!

bryan
    Bryan Cohn
    bryancohnracing@yahoo.com
    417-540-2595 text

Liked: 19

Default Serious Understeer

I heard way back that it has serious understeer or "Plow Steer" as I call it....they said stay away from this model.....think it was the used car review in Sports Car Magazine circa 1989 or 1990

Mike O

Thread Information