Liked: 0

Default Gloves and shoes

I'm looking to get a pair of driving shoes and gloves. I'd like the keep the price about $100 for each. I was looking at the G-force driving shoes. Should I get the mid or high-tops? Any other brands I should look at? I tried a pair of pyrotects but those were terrible. As for gloves I have no idea. The ringers carbon-X gloves look pretty cool, but i'm looking at the OMP Provas and the new G-force proRS. Any suggestions?

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Try them on.

Like Helmets you may find that every manufacturer has a different idea of what will fit the "Average" size X person. I have a big problem with gloves and shoes because of long skinny hands and feet. When I find gloves or shoes that are long enough the are made for people with fat fingers and wider feet than mine! If you are Average than maybe you can take a chance with mail order?
    Think about the Color of Gloves you buy as more than a fashion statement. Black or Dark Blue may not be the best choice when you are waving franticly to get someones attention!

Contributing Member Ken Lawrence's Avatar
    Liked: 53

Default Wear on gloves

I had to have a local shoe shop sew on leather strips on the back side of my right hand and fingers to keep the wear from hitting the inside of the bodywork from wearing out the gloves, didn't matter what brand.

Liked: 447

Don't know of too many brand shoes for $100. I think my Simpson shoes were a little over that, but anything else on the market seemed to at least be $150-200.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 605

Gloves? get double layer brand? the ones that fit your budget......either try them on in person at an event or shop or show..... or if ordering on line, you have called the company in the process to ask about how you may return them if you don't like them.

Shoes? high tops......can you say protection? brand? see above

I'm looking at the ringers carbonX gloves because they are SFI-10. Does anyone use these? Are they that much better than a regular pair of double layer nomex gloves?

Banned
    Liked: 1116

oz. for oz. carbon-x is vastly superior to nomex as far as the protection from heat. HOWEVER, I don't know how well the material would stand up to wear that gloves are exposed to. I think a pair of gloves that are Nomex on outer layer and carbon-x on inner layer would be a safe purchase.

Shoes and gloves are two areas where I would not skimp. You need good feel and protection at the same time. My gloves are OMP Gran Premio--I think you could find them for around $110-120.

Liked: 126

Eye agree with the hightops.

Default If you know what you want, check eBay

I bought my most recent pair of OMP Gran Premios (highly recommend) on eBay for $45 and a pair of Sparco Ultralight hightops for $60 -- both brand new. If you know what you want you can find some good deals at times.

Also not associated with them, but Wine Country Motorsports has always been very well priced on safety items when I have bought from them in the past. They have a wide selection, and very easy to do business with.
    Ian MacLeod
    "Happy Hour: 5:00 - 5:30"
    Tatuus F1k

I just got off the phone with ringers the maker of carbonX gloves, and they said that they're gonna have a double layer carbonX glove in bright colors for 07. I think i'm going to wait and get those.

Default OMP Grand Premio

I'll third the recommendation for the OMP Grand Premio gloves.
    I really like mine; nicest gloves I've used yet.

John

anybody use the momo pro racer gloves or hear anything about them?

Liked: 68

Eye hit the nail right on the head. You should try this stuff on, it at all possible. You may also want to consider this: although it is desireable to keep expediture down, sometimes you get what you pay for. These days I am using Alpinestars gloves and boots. They are a little pricier than other gear that is available, howvever I find that for my physique (see D.T. Benner's post) the fit is perfect. Also Alpinestars stuff seems to last quite a bit longer than some of the other stuff I have bought in the past. Go to a shop that carries multiple brands and try stuff on. Best of luck to you.

Regards,
    EG

www.peterwestmotorsports.com

Liked: 123

Default gloves and boots

I like the G-force SFI 5 gloves, just bought a new pair. With these I like to replace them often so I don't worry about how well they wear. On boots I like ones that are mostly fabric, with maybe some leather reinforcement. I know too well how much leather shrinks in heat to want full leather boots on my tender tootsies.

Brian

are the omp gran premio 2 layer gloves?

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Yes they are.

See your PM.

Liked: 157

Here's a suggestion for any beginners reading this thread, learned the hard way last year when we first started out. Regardless of what brand you decide to buy, get red gloves or at least something that will be easily seen when driving. Lots of drivers have suits that match the color of their car, and gloves and shoes to match the suit. For example, our car was black and my son got a black suit with black gloves. Looked great, but when he would raise his arm to signal to another car or to acknowledge a flag, it was difficult to see his hand, the glove being the same color as his suit and the car itself. So now he wears red gloves with his black suit. Not as fashionable but a lot safer.

HTH

take care.

Tom

Thread Information