Liked: 0

Default MONTEAL Champ car is a done deal

MONTEAL Champ car is a done deal for the F1600!!!

hope to see many of U guys on the grid....I might have been a conver to tintops, but I will be there.... more info on the offical site soon....there is a promo , but I can't talk about it...just read the website in a week or so for details

http://www.formulatour1600.ca/maineng.htm

Who is going to 3Riviers?

cheers
    Shayne
    Shayne

Liked: 7

Ref Montreal
    As of today, the entry fee for Montreal event (part of Champ Car event) will be maximum $1000 including a set of Tire. Formula Tour people are still trying to find additional sponsors to cover the expenses to run in Montreal.. The extra entry fees money that will not be used to subsidize the cost will be re-distributed to the teams/drivers either in tow money, door prizes, etc.
    J-Guy

Liked: 159

More information please. How many sessions? Which days? Is the $1000 in US or Canadian currency? Camping at the track? Showers? Any restriction on when to arrive and leave? In other words, once in, do we get to spectate all of the champ car activity?

How many sessions? It is based on how many support series they have to schedule. In the past, it was one 20-25 min practice, One qualif 20-25 min qualif sessions and one 15 or so race.

Which days? Normally on Friday, Saturday and if lucky on Sunday morning

Is the $1000 in US or Canadian currency? It is in Cdn fund so about $[SIZE=2]870.70 USD based on today exchange rate of 1.1485. [/SIZE]

Camping at the track? Your are not supposed to but I know some do,

Showers? I'll check, as mentioned I have friends who sleep in their van/trailer.

Any restriction on when to arrive and leave? I think they allow trucks and trailer on site as early as the Wed pm. However they were not flexible as far as the registration schedule was the last time.

Once in, do we get to spectate all of the champ car activity? You can wonder around but the good spots (general admission) will more than likely be taken( but there are more area available than F-1. If you plan to buy tickets try to find something around the hairpin because that's were the support series paddocks are.

Other tip if you plan of running have a scooter or at least a bicycle for a crew member to carry boost battery. It is a long way from paddock to pit lane and lots of stop and go.
    Last edited by Comp89; 07.15.06 at 6:17 PM.
    J-Guy

Default Any more news?

Any new insight into the event?

Default last chance at Montreal

If any of you want to run at a Champ Car event at Montreal you should do it this year. This is probably the last year Champ Car will run there. The promotor has done a terrible job for the series the last few years and has indicated it will be the same this year.

Hi Dan, are U and any one from PPL U know are coming to my beloved city to race with us?

yep it might be the last race FFord will ever do at the Montreal Track, so I'm looking for a rental ride just to be there....

hope to see more of U guys out here

Shayne
    Shayne

Default visit to the race

Yes

I will be there with a Champ Car Team (RocketSports). It is really a great city and a fun weekend. If you are in the padock come by and track me down. My first race car was a FF 84 VanDieman and I raced with some of the guys that are on this forum. I hope to see some of them competing. FF is probably the most fun and bigest bang for the buck in all of racing. I hope there is a big field.

Regards

[SIZE=2]Here is the registration form for the Montreal Indy (The english follows the french text):[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]http://www.formulatour1600.ca/images/images/Champ%20Car%20inscription.pdf[/SIZE]
    J-Guy

More good news on Montreal Molson INDY; there will be alot of track time..... 5 sessions

Shayne
    Last edited by Shayne; 08.10.06 at 1:59 AM.
    Shayne

For those of you who are planning to attend, Just a bit of info I gathered this past week-end in 3-rivers in ref with the Mtl Champ car FF1600 event.

• A 50 min practice session from 08.00hrs to 08.50hrs on Friday;
    • A qualif session 07.50hrs to 8.15hrs and a race 11.45hrs to 12.15hrs on saturday and qualif 08.40hrs to 09.10hrs on Sunday, race after the Champ car race at 16.00hrs to 16.30hrs on Sunday);
    • There will be a post qualif/race tech inspection (top five + a possibility of up to 5 more at random). In Three-Rivers this past w-e, they inpounded top 5 + 1. They inspected the heads of top 3 and if one had not passed they they would have inspected the #4. None were found illegal...
    • Min weight is different i.e. 1125 vs 1100lbs in Ontario and some other minor regs. I can email you the info sheet they gave me if you are interested....
    Last edited by Comp89; 08.09.06 at 6:17 PM.
    J-Guy

J-Guy

Default Important Notes for the Montreal Champ Car GP

[SIZE=2]Source: http://www.formulatour1600.ca/maineng.htm[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Important Notes for the Montreal Champ Car GP [/SIZE][SIZE=2]GAS
    A) The gas for the event will need to be purchased at:
    ESSO
    2010 Papineau
    Mtl
    Tel: 514-527-1523

Directions: Take
    [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Jacques-Cartier bridge (towards Montréal), at the very end, go straight. Turn left on SHERBROOKE, then turn left again on PAPINEAU, the gas station will be on your right, corner ONTARIO/PAPINEAU. Then, to go to the track. Take PAPINEAU south and get on the Jacques-Cartier bridge (towards the south shore), in the middle of it, take the exit Ile St-Hélène/Parc Jean-Drapeau and follow directions for the race track.

B) Rule: No motor home, nor campers allowed in the paddocks.
    (Rules from the city of Montréal)

C) Registration hours;
    Thursday from 8am to 10pm.
    Friday from 8am to noon
    Saturday - if necessary

The registration center is located beside the HÉLÈNE DE CHAMPLAIN restaurant on île Ste-Hélène.

D) Paddock access

Wednesday noon - 9 pm.
    Thursday 8a.m. to 9 pm
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    Last edited by Comp89; 08.19.06 at 11:07 AM.
    J-Guy

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]For your info: Motorhome owners who would like to park their RV near the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Formula tour has found a place in Brossard near Champlain Bridge at 20-25 Minutes from the track. The place is called: [/SIZE]GRAND PRIX KARTING,[SIZE=2] 7205 blvd TASCHEREAU, Brossard.... [/SIZE][SIZE=2][SIZE=2]Tel: 450-462-8807 [/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=2]www.grandprixkarting.com[/SIZE]

It is just across from Portobello Shopping Center on Tachereau Blvd....
    [/SIZE]
    J-Guy

Default More news

[SIZE=2]Over crew passes will be available at registration for 150$. These passes will entitle you to a bracelet for access to the pit lane or to the stand at the hairpin during the FF sessions.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Point to remember, make sure to pick them up at registration during their open hrs in order to sign the waiver & receive your bracelet. [/SIZE]
    J-Guy

Default Mtl Champ car FF event

On behalf of Jacques Dulac (President of Formula Tour) and his organisation we would like to thank all of you who drove from the US, NB, Ontario to race in Montreal....

Great turn out (38 cars registered). Too bad the bad weather had to spoil our Sunday race...
    J-Guy

Thanks guys, we had a blast, yeah it would have been nice if the weather wouldn't mess things up!!! I have some on-board footage of the 1st (sat) race I will post soon for you guys to enjoy....

I'm sure we will get invited to the F1 week-end now that we had 38 cars....we can get even more cars/drivers next year.

PIX
    http://flagworld.auto123.com/ArtImag...5/IMG_0843.jpg

http://flagworld.auto123.com/ArtImag...AmDany4570.JPG

Shayne
    Shayne

Default Pics of FF in Mtl

Here is a link for pictures taken in Mtl....
    http://www.photospatrick.com/mtl%20f...2006/index.htm
    J-Guy

Default Starting Grid

Montreal last week. FF the way it should be, except for the treaded tires of course. They would never work in America ..........

Contributing Member
    Liked: 303

Default Americans

Carefull what you say, the Canadians think of themselves as North "Americans" along with us Yankees.

Ed

Default ??

Are you kidding Ed, .....this is Quebec we're looking at!!

Liked: 8

Default Montreal Champ car (How did the LRP guys fare?)

Rod K & Steve R:
    I saw the photos of both of you on track. How about a race report? Based on your experiences some of us might be interested in making the trek next year. That is assuming the race is still on the Champ Car calendar.
    Regards,

Greg Kokolus

Contributing Member
    Liked: 303

Default Your right

You are right Rod, I was thinking of the "other" Canada. The English speaking part.

Ed

Default Fun Fun Fun

Greg,

As a driver I stank this weekend, but I had a BALL!!! I still grin when I think about all the cool stuff that went on in the 4 days. If they ever get to do that weekend again, blow the dough and go.

Highlights

Thursday, track orientation for all drivers in all series conducted in random directions with mopeds, ATV's, cars, trucks, bikes, all buzzing around the 2.7 miles. All the while a guy was trapping a bunch of woodchucks that were inside the fences (that had just been erected and sealed up that morning). No-one yelling at anyone about what vehicle may or may not be out there. Relaxed.

Friday, extended practice session. Very crisp and informative flagging. Everything from dangling blue, to waving blue, to very aggressive waving blue with hand signals to indicate one or two faster cars working inside of you to pass. The tires were VERY different, but just that, different. Not better, or worse than slicks, just a different feel. The local guys were great to the visitors. Looking in and introducing themselves, and making sure that we had what we needed. A lot of of big teams with big crews and rigs. Pro behavior and atmosphere all around.

Saturday. Early qualifier and mid-day race. I 'met' one of the locals early on in qualifying and we both got to repair suspension damage. I spun and started it so can't get any credit for not being part of the problem. At best a racing deal. The race start was a blast. Standing start from way back in the pack. I got a great launch and passed a bunch of cars, only to have the clutch melt down in turn one and two. Maybe Shayne's in-car video has some good detail of the start I got as he was in my wake for some of it. Shayne? I then watched from a corner station. The 4 car battle in the front lasted till about mid race when it split into two battles and finally settled down. Very good racing throughout. Some of the guys missed the turn in and bounded through the dirt only to rejoin the race. I was waiting for a big shunt form those stunts, but it never happened. Some of these cars are tougher than any of us can imagine.

Sat evening. With some help my crew and i got the clutch sorted out during the evening. there was a great cheese and wine deal Saturday night and the clutch swap was therefor not nearly as big a hassle. In the meantime we got to watch FA and Champ car qualifying and testing and a Cascar race. The FA cars are really Indy Lites II (my nomenclature) or some such. 2.3L screamers, not at all like the 1600 cars we love so much. But quick and fun to watch

Sunday, qualifying was early in damp conditions. then the dampness turned to very wet and finally a flood situation. The FA guys were shunted to run between Champ Car and us, pushing our race towards sunset. Champ car got 6 very wet laps in and then the whole show got shut down. So we had to pack up and go home, or stay and watch Champ cars on the monday. A bit dissapointing, but all in all a very fun weekend with very professional and friendly people. I would go back in a heart beat.

Steve
    Last edited by Roux; 08.30.06 at 9:27 PM.

Default Radial Tires

It was a pleasure to all see you in Montreal. It is too bad the temperature was not too good Sunday afternoon and the race was cancelled. I had the chance to talk with Timm Dunn wich was very interesting. He has a beautiful DB6. We do not the chance to see this type of car too often around here.

I would like to give some comment about the Hankook radial tires we are using. It is sure it has not the grip of a true racing slick. However it is a choice we have done to reduce our racing budget. We do not want to spend half our budget on tires. So it is possible to have more competitors who otherwise will have to stay home if they would have to support a bigger budget. We have a very good support from Hankook tire company and very reasonable price. These tires could last several races. You must also remember that the Montreal track is not a permanent track and it is very slippery without racing rubber on it. So it is the reason why it was so slippery Friday morning. I also think some of you had not the correct set-up for radial tires. Radial tires like a lot of negative camber and could tolerate higher pressure. Anyway, everybody were improving their time during the weekend, which is a good sign of competitive racers.

If you want to try these tires on real permanent racing track you could come to Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant race on the weekend of the 23 rd of septembre. You could be surprised how these tires could work on more abrasive track.. Mont tremblant is a very nice track with very nice landscape especially in septembre.

We hope to see you there.

Regards,

Alain Dulac

Just wanted to thank all of you whom showed up to race with us and I hope we can get U back for more racing next year.

on the tire note; I've been racing with the hankooks for the past 4-5 years, the compound has changed somewhat but once U get used to the way they handel with Ur car, it makes a better driver out of U!!! I'm still learning car setup which includes tires/ or is effected by diffrent tires....useing the tires at optimal angel and heat cycle...(I guess I'm preaching to the converted...hehehe)

as I promised the on-board footage will be online within a day or two

cheers
    Shayne
    Last edited by Shayne; 08.31.06 at 10:06 AM.
    Shayne

Greg

Montreal was great.

I think a lot of people got sticker shock when they saw the $1000 entry but when you break it down it is actually good value. For the $1000 you get a new set of tires which accounts for $400, thanks to the series support from Hankook. The remaining $600 is the entry fee for which you get 50 minutes of practice on Friday, a 30 minute qual and a 30 minute race on Saturday, and a 30 minute qual and a 30 minute race on Sunday.

Contrast this with the last SCCA Regional you ran which gave you a 10 minute practice, a 14 minute qual, and a 20 minute race at a cost of $300 ($280 entry + $20 worker fund).

So, you can have 2 hours and 50 minutes on an F1 track for $600 or 44 minutes at an SCCA Regional for $300.

Unfortunately in this instance we lost the last 30 minutes due to a rain delay whereby the track was held available for the Champ Cars since they have TV and ticket holder obligations.

On Friday we were on track early for practice. For some this was their first experience with the treaded Hankook radials. They are heavier than the slicks we are used to and give the sensation the car is moving around a lot more because of the sidewall flex, but once you get to see how quick the local hot-shoes are going on them your confidence builds quickly. The overall grip level is significantly less than a racing slick of course but since everyone is on the same tire who cares?

Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is as smooth and flat as a billiard table and all corners have FIA kerbing. Surprisingly the average speed is not very high due to several twisty bits and a couple of 1st gear corners, but there are sections where the car is topped out in 4th, with very hard braking zones at the end. Unlike the Glen or Mosport there are no high speed sweepers. Most of the time you are running between concrete walls with catch fencing so it is a little intimidating at first. After watching the Champ Cars go through the twisties during their first practice I realized what a wuss I was and was a little quicker after that.

By the end of practice I had the track memorized but that was about it, I certainly wasn’t very quick. I spent the rest of the morning wandering around the Champ Car paddock then my wife and I went into the city for the afternoon.

On Saturday we were on track early again for qualifying.. There were only 4 race groups, FF, FA, CASCAR, and Champ Car. I suspect my Crossle was the oldest car there so when I ended up qualifying 20th out of 36 I wasn’t too disappointed. Ultimately I got moved back 3 spots on the grid for passing under yellow, oops!.

The FormulaTour Series uses an F1 style standing start where the 4 red lights illuminate sequentially then after 4 to 7 seconds go out and off you go. The secret to standing starts apparently is to get enough wheel spin so that you don’t bog the motor, but not so much that you are just standing there in your own tire smoke while the rest of the field heads for turn 1. I made a so-so start and managed to avoid the usual first turn melee. During the race I got around a few guys and between that and attrition I managed to bumble my way up to 16th out of 36 by the time the checker came out. Not great but not a total embarrassment either.

Up to this point the weather had been perfect; warm sun, cool dry air, perfect.

Sunday dawned gray and overcast and we qualified in the morning in a light drizzle. The Hankooks we were using are a hard compound and I found them quite slippery in the wet, especially in the first gear corners where it was easy to get a lot of wheel spin if you weren’t patient. The series does not allow a separate rain tire so everyone is in the same boat, and the results are the same; the fast guys are up front and the duffers are at the back.

By midday it was pouring. We were scheduled to race after the Champ Cars. They started at 1:30 but red flagged it after 7 laps because of the rain. Watching those guys pilot 750hp 1400lb. cars in pouring rain was just amazing. They don’t back out of it for a second. After that I felt even more like a wuss.

By 4:30 it was obvious the rain was not going to let up so our second race was cancelled.
    So that was it. It was worth every penny as far as I’m concerned and I hope I get the chance to do it again some day. Circuit Gilles Villeneuve only has 2 races a year and I believe Champ Car has lost their spot to NASCAR who will be running a Busch race there, so unless FF is invited to support F1 it could be a while before the chance comes again. The FormulaTour 1600 guys were super friendly and made us all feel very welcome, and being part of an all pro-series event with lots of spectators only helped to enhance the experience.

As for the treaded tires; I’m a big fan. Shelling out the money we do for slicks just to go club racing is totally nuts in my opinion. If we are all on the same tire what the hell difference does it make if the tire we choose is slower than a slick. Club Ford could lead the way in this since it only requires regional approval instead of a nationwide consensus.

Rod

Liked: 8

Default Monteal Champ Car

Rod and Steve:
    After reading your posts, I'd have to say I was envious of your trip. I don't think that $1k which includes a set of tires is horrible at all. What you spent your money on was not only racing, but an adventure. It is obvious from both your posts that you were well treated and got to experience how it must feel to be part of "the show". That was part of the experience I remember from the 35th FF event at LRP. It's nice to ply your craft in front of some people for a change instead of running in relative obscurity at most of our races.
    Rod, I'd have to say "well done" for finishing 16th overall. From some of the pictures, it looks like there were some heavy hitters in the paddock with alot more experience on the tires.
    These Canadian events will certainly be on my radar for next year. Maybe a whole contingent of the LRP "tree people" could go.
    Any hassles crossing the border?
    Regards,

Greg Kokolus
    NCF #56

Default Crossing the border

Greg

Crossing the border was a total non-event. I had printed out an inventory of everything I had in the van and trailer. Going into Canada I actually had to ask them to put some kind of stamp on the paper in case of a problem coming back into the US. If I hadn't asked they would not have done anything. They didn't even want to see what was inside the trailer.
    Coming back into the US was the same. Apart from asking if we had bought anything in Canada they could have cared less.

With my mini-van and rinky-dink trailer I was obviously not a commercial enterprise. I just drove through the lane marked 'cars' (as opposed to 'trucks' and 'buses') and was out of there in minutes. No problem.

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Kendall
    Greg

As for the treaded tires; I’m a big fan. Shelling out the money we do for slicks just to go club racing is totally nuts in my opinion. If we are all on the same tire what the hell difference does it make if the tire we choose is slower than a slick. Club Ford could lead the way in this since it only requires regional approval instead of a nationwide consensus.

Rod
    Rod do you feel that the tires closed the gap to the newer cars at all? I run a CF (outboard front and back) in the OFFC series so I am curious as to your opinion. Gord Lowe is our quickest CF but I havent seen and results from Montreal to see how he made out.
    Tony

Default closing the gap

Tony

Do the Hankook radials close the gap between modern FF cars and CF cars? I would need more time with the Hankooks to give you a definitive answer but my first impression is 'no'. The advantages of a wide stance, stiff frame, and superior aero of a modern car persist. A well driven FF on Hankooks is going to beat a well driven CF on Hankooks, just like they do now.
    Of course a FF on Hankooks and a CF on the treaded Dunlops you guys in ther OFFC use would be a different story.

Vive le Formula Tour 1600

I had a great time (adventure) on my first outing north of the border. The FormulaTour 1600 is really well run and the top guys are really good. There were some homemade cars I had never heard of that were verry fast, verry well prepared. Montreal is a fabulous city and everything combined makes this a must see during your FF career. Since we were at the bottom of the pecking order (vs ChampCar, Atlantic and CASCAR) our session times were not the best but that was a minor point. The fact that there were 33 or 34 FF's more than made up for it. I qualified 14th on Sat morning. Watching the lights ala F1 for the start was pretty cool and my start was OK. I was passed by one car but I passed a few others going into turn 1. When the pack got to the hairpin, a bunch of cars spun and I was up to 7th at the end of lap one. My first two race laps were 2 seconds faster than my qualifying time so I thought I was starting to get the hang of the low grip setup. This was great until lap 3. I dialed in some additional rear bias after locking the front brakes a few times and ended up locking up the rear brakes and spinning. As a result I bent a corner and broke a nose. I had all the parts I needed to put it back together but the rain on Sunday ended it for everyone.
    If you ever considered doing this race, I would highly recommend it. Besides, when was the last time you had a drivers meeting in French! (with translations of course). I can only hope that there is a FF support race for the F1 weekend - I'll be there for sure.

Border crossing was a non-event. 3-4 minutes max each way, never asked for anything beyond ID.

Tim Dunn FF19
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

The way this is going I think next year the FF grid will be nothing but Yankees, no punt intended, I'm happy to see more of you guys up here!!!

Mont-tremblant is in less then 4 weeks, Any U guys want to come? the Reg. fee is less then $500 U can even race with Ur own tires is the formula Libra if U don't want to buy tires or just ask some one for thier used set...

Shayne
    Shayne

Default Race Result sheet (Saturday)

Don't know easy it is to read but let's see......

Click on page and it will give you a larger view then if you click again and move your curser it will give you an option to make larger again.
    J-Guy

Default Message from a french Canadian

Bonjour à tous,
    this was the only thing I will write in french, I promise. It was very fun to see you all guys from the US at the Mtl Champ Car. I didn't have the time to see a lot of you ( I was a little busy with a wedding party...), but just heard having 37 cars on the grid makes me feel good. It was so long the time I saw 37 cars on the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

I really like race cars, cars setup and thing's like that. It was very interesting to read about your comments espacially Mr. Rod Kendall. Last week-end in Montreal I just had the chance to speek with Mr. Tim Dunn. As I remembered what my "gourou" said, he has really nice 1991 swift. I'd really like the body work and the radiator mount.

I swear to see you more often around, they spoke we will have a race in 2008 here in Quebec or in Montreal. All drivers and big fans of car setup, suspension, Hankook tires and races, feel free to ask (looks likes) professionnal french Canadian, they are just people as we are who really like races and take it seriously.

By the way, I have a really beautiful FF1600 on my computer, so if there is some peoples who are interested on a great and really fast project to build, just answer me, we never know. I heard little bit about F1000, sounds very interesting too.

J'espère vous revoir très bientôt.

David Croteau.

ps. Sorry about the mistakeS, my english is not very good, but I try to improve it as much as I can.

Liked: 49

David, your English is as good as my French! My wife and I went to the GP this year and had a fabulous time. Montreal is such a great city to visit. There are several rastaurants that I can't wait to get back to. I almost had my wife convinced that I needed to upgrade to a Formula Mazda, until the 12 car pile-up in front of our grandstand. Hope to be able to one day drive the FF race there. Glad you guys got the race done so well. Standing starts and treaded tires are the only way to go!
    Brad Smith, Swift SE-3.

As promised here is the link to my on-board cam

http://www.shaynemorten.com/video/video.htm

pix here

http://www.shaynemorten.com/photo02.htm

cheers
    Shayne

J-Guy

Thread Information