Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

Default blue? or green (stripe)?

radistor hoses.

Smith says Gates Green Stripe (2).
    Blue silicone, swear others.
    Opinions?

I'm going to go with those constant tension hose clamps. I've used them before on other cars with much success. Anybody had any sob stories wtih them? A company called Breeze makes them I believe.

Also, I was going to send the rads out to my local rad shop - but they usually do the inspection/clean and then paint everything black. I don't know if I can trust them to clean the old gunk/paint off my rads and then *not* paint over everything to hide a quickie job...

Oh - BTW, having a brother in London means I can get the original Rawlplug M6150 Rawlnuts to hold the radiator tabs to the chassis. I think he's sending a whole box of 50 over, which will mean that I'll have a few extra...

Thanks as always
    Cheers
    Chris Leong
    Team 5150
    Lynx Solo Vee

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 920

Gates or silicone will both work fine.

Silicone was not widely available yet when Carroll wrotr prepare to win

Liked: 36

At all costs avoid anything green on a race car.

John D.

Liked: 3787

If you can't trust your local radiator shop, who can you trust?
    You could tell them not to paint them.
    On some of the older chassis the rads are actually seen by the viewing public from the side of the car. With that said, you must know that mine get sprayed purple. details, details.

Liked: 1417

Quote Originally Posted by johnd

The ApexSpeed team car has not had any issues. Seems to have worked out pretty well for us.

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by johnd
    Interesting. There was a time (1960's?) and a place (US? NASCAR?) when they had a strong aversion to green race cars. That makes me think John D. has been around racing for more than a few months. :-).

Regarding hoses (for our use*), I think any brand name, reinforced hose should be fine as long as you have it protected from chafing, do not have long runs of hose (especially on the suction side) and you replace them after a reasonable period of time.

* non endurance length races, off road, ...
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 96

Default Off Topic - Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB
    Interesting. There was a time (1960's?) and a place (US? NASCAR?) when they had a strong aversion to green race cars. That makes me think John D. has been around racing for more than a few months. :-).

I think was USAC / Indy 500 where the superstitions ruled: no peanuts in the pits, no women in the pits and no green cars.
    I think Jim Clark in the British Racing Green Lotus wiped out the green car superstition in 1965.
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Liked: 0

Default a note on the radiators

I have my local radiator shop leave them unpainted. Not to check thier work, but because the paint is one more factor to holding the heat in & reducing the effectiveness of the radiator. They look like hell but every little bit helps at speed to keep that motor cool.
    Stephen

Hard at Play Racing
    Crewing at it's Best!
    Hemmingway Said "the only true SPORTS are Bull Fighting, Mountain climbing & Auto Racing, Everything else is just a game."

Liked: 36

Russ:

The cat's out of the bag. I am an old fart indeed. (Please don't tell anyone else.)

The fear of green is a carry-over from our stint in the little roundy-round cars. Started when the kid was 8, and he still is quite concerned about it now (at 21). Funny though, he doesn't mind having a 'green-backs' in his pockets.

Doug you might be on to something there! Maybe over the winter I should paint the car green, along with his helmet. Buy him a new green suit and force him to race it that way! Then if he does well, the fear would be gone (and I wouldn't have to cater to his sickness any more). On the other hand if he were to roll it into a ball ....

John D.

Thread Information