Liked: 309

Default Trailer Floor Covering ~ Herculiner

Looking for feedback regarding Herculiner "do it yourself" bedliner as possible trailer floor material http://www.herculiner.com. That is, has anyone tried this stuff in a trailer? How is it holding up? How hard was it to apply?

I was considering Line-X, but after a quote of $900 for a 16'x7' trailer floor and ramp I decided to explore other options. For around $50, "Deck & Porch" oil based grey paint is now my first choice, but from my estimates I could try the grey Herculiner for just under $300. Looks promising...
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 0

Pru,

I used the 2 part epoxy garage floor paint on my 18 X 8 foot trailer - one $60 kit from Home Depot / Lowes covered the floor, trim around the floor and ramp door - plus I used the decorative blue / black paint chips that came with it and its been holding up great all season. No chips or flaking. I'd guess the Herculiner would hold up even better or at least as good as the stuff I used.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp...ct_id=56&SBL=1
    Jason Mabee
    MiDiv Car FE #01

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!" - Elwood Blues

I second the garage floor paint bit. I'm on my 3rd trailer that I did that way and it holds up great. The only thing I had discovered to improve it is to get the water based one from lowes and thin out the first coat so that it can soak into the wood floor. that way if you gouge the floor with something you may not go through the layer of paint soaked into the wood. It will also keep it from peeling up. But you have to do it to a new floor with bare wood.
    Too beat up, too fat, and too old to race a GP bike anymore, so I'm gonna add 2 wheels and see how that works out!!

Banned
    Liked: 1116

I did the garage floor paint with a traction compound (fine sand) in it and it held up pretty well until I had a fuel cell failure.

A friend did her trailer (20' x 102") in Line-X including ramp and 1' up the sides for about $750. Yes it is a lot of money and equivelent to a set of tires. But, I wish I would have gone that route. When mine finally looks too bad, I'll go the line-x route. Shop around at another line-x dealer, maybe a significant discount for a couple of stickers on the trailer or displaying the trailer at their place on a weekend....

It holds up extremely well, doesn't get as hot in that trailer as I expected. The ramp door isn't the slighest bit slippery in the rain. Clean up is a sinch. The only drawbacks are the cost and the weight.

I have no experience with Herculiner, but it seems that it should work, IF the preparation is done well. As in dealing with any coating, the prep is the key. Also, Line-X is only one brand - are there Rhino-Lining or Vortex dealers in your area? Shopping around and playing one against the other might be worthwhile. From what I've seen in my area, Line-X and Rhino-Linings are usually done by larger commercial concerns, while the Vortex dealers tend to be small-business types, and might be more willing to work with you, especially in the area of preping the trailer. If you're going to paint/Herculiner it yourself, you're going to have to do the prep work anyway - perhaps you could work a deal to do the prep (read "time-consuming dirty work") yourself and just have a dealer check out your work and do the spraying - could be a money saver.

Chuck Hovonick

Chuck is right - any way you go the prep is the most important part. I didn't use the cleaner that came with my kit but I did make sure the floor was spotless before I rolled it on. Shopvac - wet mop (on my knees using rags) - completely dry - then shopvac again.
    Jason Mabee
    MiDiv Car FE #01

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!" - Elwood Blues

I had the black and white tiles on my trailer floor,and they just weren't durable enough. I then sanded the plywood that was under the tile, and put two gallons of Durabak on it. Durabak is a very similar product to Herculiner. It has been the best floor I've ever had in a trailer. Nothing seems to bother it, and it is easy to touch up should the need arise. I've used Herculiner to cover the inside of my jeep, and it seem just as robust.

Default Going with Duraback

I'm going to try the dark grey Duraback http://www.nonslipcoating.com/. I'll post feedback / photos upon completion of the project.

Thank you one and all for the feedback!
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Default Durabak ~ 2 Gallons Grey w Rollers up for Auction

I purchased two gallons of grey DURBAK / rollers with the intention of coating the floor of the 16’x8’ trailer that I ordered last summer. When the trailer deal fell through, I was left with the coating material / rollers which I am now offering up for auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ALCA%3AMT%3A11
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 3

I put a bid in........could I ask what the reserve is?

Andrew

Default Herculiner vs. Line-x and others

Still researching other potential solutions.
    Last edited by Scott22554; 12.06.06 at 1:47 PM.

Default Auction...

Quote Originally Posted by thunderracing91
    I put a bid in........could I ask what the reserve is?

Andrew
    Thanks for bidding!

As for the reserve, it's reasonable given the original purchase price ($90/gal + shipping)...
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Thread Information