Liked: 8

Default Head and Neck Restraint Options

I have a 97 Vandiemen, Formula Continental (real small cockpit) and will wear a head and neck restraint product this year. I have tried the HANS, both 20 and 30 and have problems with clearence behind my head. I have seen pictures of the LFT Technologies head and neck restraint and the new Hutchens II system. These both have carbon fiber elements from which straps are attached to the helmet. The LFT technologies unit used the carbon fiber element that extends conformally down your back and then is attached around your chest and your shoulders. Has anyone seen this device and what are the thoughts.

Joe Woodward

Liked: 3

There's a great write-up on all three in the Vintage Racecar magazine February 06 issue.

I haven't used one yet, but the LFT R3 is the one I would get. The Hans doesn't fit the shoulder belts in my car, and the LFT takes less clearance behind the helmet.

Liked: 9

Default R-3

I saw a new R-3 at the track last weekend. It looks slimmer in back (and more comfortable) than the pictures I saw last year. You still need to alter your seat back somewhat (they give you additional stick on foam for either side of the "spinal piece") but not as much as before. At least, that's my perception. It was new to the guy who had it but he liked it right away.

I would consider the R-3 a good solution if the HANS were a problem, like if your belts might slide off it in a multi-impact or roll-over event. I appreciate the efforts to make the devices more independent of the belts. I still consider this issue to be a work in progress.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Liked: 2

I have not seen one in person, but from the pictures, I would be concerned in a rear end impact, cause the lower CF support ends at the lower vertebrae, and any difference in support stiffness around that in the seat may cause injury, or soreness. I also read somewhere about some guys trying these in open wheel school cars and had trouble getting comfortable. May not be as relevant to us, since our seats are probably much more comfy than a fiberglass bucket that they use.

If anyone has heard more recent news about this issue, please update us. Sounds like its is slimmer than it used to be?? I am still shopping for my H&N device.
    Scott

Default Update

My 2 cents:
    OK, since no one could give me a first hand review of the available Head and Neck Restraint systems on the market, I bought the one that I thought would work the best for me. I bought the LFT head and neck restraint. You know, the one that is a rigid carbon fiber unit that extends down your back and used your upper back as a fulcrum point to restrain your head during severe impacts. Now, I am not affiliated with LFT in any way nor have I been asked to endorce there product but I must say, the LFT unit really works for me. When on, and I am in the car it is invisible from a comfort point of view. It is easy to fit, and now I can purchase the helmet I wanted with the chime (extended lip) at the bottom of the helmet to help prevent lift at speed.

I tried the HANS (HANS company) device but could never get either the 20 or 30 to fit. It was uncomfortable for me in the trapeeze (sp?) muscle area and on my chest were the belts force the tips of the unit to dig in. I have somewhat of a barrel chest and that in itself might be the reason for the discomfort I experienced with this device. Another issue I had with the HANS was, that because the device extends over my shoulders and raising the level of the belts, it significantly restricted the type of helmet I could wear. With the HANS on, my helmet (Simpson Bandit) on and me strapped into my Van Diemen RF97, I could not move my head at all. For another peason, I am sure this unit would work fine, but not for me.

I looked at the Hutchens II Device but, it appears to me to try to be a combination of the HANS without the ridgid pieces that extend over your shoulders and the original Hutchens Device. The bulk of the rigid structure at the top of this device seemed to me too large and I was not sure it would stay in place. I did not try one. Not to say it would not work but I didn't think it would work for me.

Again, just my 2 cents. Hope this helps if you are in the market for a head and neck restraint system. Try them all and buy the one that fits your needs the best. At least there are choices today. But most importantly, buy one!

Joe

Liked: 0

I've been searching on the net for alternative head & neck restraints to HANS & the ISAAC looked good to me. We don't seem to have much choice in Australia & I was hoping some one would be able to give me some feedback on these systems in both their LINK & BASIC versions. I think the helmet bracket appears rather cumbersome, but I have never seen one. I would be very interested to hear how they're regarded & thought of over there. Any advice would be most welcome.Thank you very much.

Merv. McCallum.

Gregg Baker

Merv,

We can put you in touch with Isaac users down under.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

I absolutely love my ISAAC .

[size=2]The noise inside the helmet is a little mechanical sounding while on the grid with the car off. Once under way, I don't notice it. It is very easy to get out of the car, nothing to get hung up on window nets, drink/cool suit tubes, radio leads, etc. I can now, with little practice (after a couple of rally's) hook it up by myself with little trouble.[/size]
    [size=2][/size]
    [size=2][/size]
    [size=2]I have the intermediate model. Between the basic and link system, I'd go with the basic as it offers better protection (dampers instead of tethers).[/size]
    [size=2][/size]

Gregg Baker
    Thank you for your reply. Will be in touch after checking with our motorsport authorities about helmet attachment methods.

Quickshoe
    Thank you for your reply. Mechanical noise in ears from attachment would never have occured to me.
    Thank you both very much.

Cheers
    Merv. McCallum.

I'd really like to see the latest test data from the Hutchens II, R3, HANS and Isaac. Does anyone know if this is available, anywhere?

-Clark

Gregg Baker

Quote Originally Posted by ccambern
    I'd really like to see the latest test data from the Hutchens II, R3, HANS and Isaac. Does anyone know if this is available, anywhere?

-Clark
    Test results on the Wayne State 50G sled have been published since 2002 for nearly every product ever developed.

Newer test data from the 70G Delphi sled for the Isaac and HANS have been submitted to headrestraint.org, but have yet to be posted.

HII and R3 data have not been released.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Woodward
    My 2 cents:
    OK, since no one could give me a first hand review of the available Head and Neck Restraint systems on the market, I bought the one that I thought would work the best for me. I bought the LFT head and neck restraint. You know, the one that is a rigid carbon fiber unit that extends down your back and used your upper back as a fulcrum point to restrain your head during severe impacts. Now, I am not affiliated with LFT in any way nor have I been asked to endorce there product but I must say, the LFT unit really works for me. When on, and I am in the car it is invisible from a comfort point of view. It is easy to fit, and now I can purchase the helmet I wanted with the chime (extended lip) at the bottom of the helmet to help prevent lift at speed.

I tried the HANS (HANS company) device but could never get either the 20 or 30 to fit. It was uncomfortable for me in the trapeeze (sp?) muscle area and on my chest were the belts force the tips of the unit to dig in. I have somewhat of a barrel chest and that in itself might be the reason for the discomfort I experienced with this device. Another issue I had with the HANS was, that because the device extends over my shoulders and raising the level of the belts, it significantly restricted the type of helmet I could wear. With the HANS on, my helmet (Simpson Bandit) on and me strapped into my Van Diemen RF97, I could not move my head at all. For another peason, I am sure this unit would work fine, but not for me.

I looked at the Hutchens II Device but, it appears to me to try to be a combination of the HANS without the ridgid pieces that extend over your shoulders and the original Hutchens Device. The bulk of the rigid structure at the top of this device seemed to me too large and I was not sure it would stay in place. I did not try one. Not to say it would not work but I didn't think it would work for me.

Again, just my 2 cents. Hope this helps if you are in the market for a head and neck restraint system. Try them all and buy the one that fits your needs the best. At least there are choices today. But most importantly, buy one!

Joe
    Hey Joe:
    Are you still happy with your R-3? I am in the market, and after trying on a friends HANS last weekend, it doesnt look like it will work for me in my car (97VD) becuase I am tall and my helmet almost touches the headrest, so when the HANS is on, it pushes my head forward/down. Did you modify your seat at all?

Default My R3

I have used my R3 all of this year in both a Ralt Rt41 and a 97 Van Diemen. Like you, I had real difficulty with my helmet being pushed forward with a standard HANS. I modified things a bit to make the R3 fit. First I cut my bead seat out in the middle back to accommodate the R3. Then I removed the top of the headrest on the 97 Van Diemen. The top half is somewhat a triangle shape and the bottom half is square. They are really one piece and you must cut them apart as you are removing the top triangle portion. This releaves a space for the top of the R3 to fit. I still have helmet issues but that is due to my helmet hitting the sides of the bodywork that come down around the rollbar. I am comfortable in the car and it does not bother me as the standard HANS did. I will have the Van Diemen at Summit Point during the Labor Day double if you and in the area and would like to see how it fits.

Best Regards, and good luck,
    Joe Woodward

Thanks Joe, I plan on running that event. I will be looking for you!
    Tony

Contributing Member
    Liked: 24

Default GCR restriction on Head and Neck Restraints

The SCCA Board is set to vote on a change to the GCR re these devices, hopefully they haven't yet. I have sent the following e-mail to them at crb@scca.com and suggest anyone who agrees should do likewise:

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]Yes, I have written to you before on this subject, and imagine your response as being “not more of this!”. If you don’t want to hear the complaints and controversy, don’t antagonize those of us who, after serious investigation, wish to use the Isaac Device. I won’t try to convince you in my own words of the worthiness of Isaac, but your responsibility includes becoming aware of the great efficacy, if not superiority, of Isaac compared to other devices in preventing serious injury/death. See isaacdirect.com and headrestraint.org for independent test results and much information. Neither will I try to convince you of the drawbacks to the few (two?) devices which would be allowed under the proposed GCR revision, since I support the voluntary use of nearly any HNR. I will say that I am physically unable to use either of the approved devices in my FC as prescribed by the manufacturers, which would leave me wearing NO head/neck restraint if the proposal is implemented and enforced; and this could be shamefully disastrous for all of us. The only reason Isaac is not acceptable to the letter of SFI 38.1 relates to superfluous requirements which are not otherwise enforced. Please do not adopt the subject change. [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Thread Information