Thread: May Fastrack

Liked: 1

http://www.scca.org/news/tech/fastra...6-fastrack.pdf

P.2,3

MEMBER ADVISORIES. The Competition Board has become aware of the following issues and publishes these advisories to alert the membership to the Competition Board's plans regarding these issues.

FORMULA
    FORMULA FORD

Item 1. The Competition Board has received input from Formula Ford competitors and engine builders on the availability of legal weight flywheels. In order to continue our commitment to keep the Kent engine parts supply readily available we are requesting member input on whether we should recommend reducing the Formula Ford flywheel weight to 15.5 pounds and allowing an alternate flywheel (JAE #FF16fw).

Item 2. The Competition Board has received input from Formula Ford competitors and engine builders on the cost and availability of the current head gasket. In order to continue our commitment to keep the Kent engine parts supply readily available we are requesting member input on whether we should recommend allowing an alternative head gasket (Payen #AH750). The projected cost for the head gasket is around $30.

Item 3. The Competition Board has received input from Formula Ford competitors and engine builders on the need to allow a maximum of 1.5mm deep valve pockets to be cut into pistons in order to keep the CCs within specification. The purpose of this allowance is to extend the life of engine blocks. We are requesting member input on whether this modification should be allowed.

If there is sufficient member support for these items the Competition Board would consider recommending them effective 10/1/03.

Contributing Member Bill Kincaid's Avatar

Excellent! Mind telling us again how we can email the Comp Board in support of these proposals?

Sure Bill, it's http://www.scca.org/interactive/boards.html or direct email link to the CB is: compboard@scca.com

The mentioned proposed Payen #AH750 head gasket (if I am not mistaken), is mfgr'd by the Federal Mogul brand.

On the aftermarket flywheel, JAE (if I am not mistaken here also, please correct me if I am)is a Lotus T/C etc supply house in Goleta, California.-Dave

[size="1"][ April 30, 2003, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Dave Hopple ][/size]

Greg Mercurio

Good news at last, but why not the low cost alternative with FelPro at $12.00?

Regardless, I'm going to email the CB again on these issues.

gm

Liked: 1880

What are the inertial properties of the new flywheel compared to the original one?

Liked: 0

Altho 10/1/03 is after the runoffs, will these be legal for like the SARRC championship race which is 10/3&3/03? Should this be a decision made by the specific region since this is a regional championship race?

John

Contributing Member John Merriman's Avatar
    Liked: 61

These three items are being presented by the CB precisely as discussed previously and all are prudent rules adjustments in keeping with the continuing efforts to keep parts flowing for the Kent engine. I would encourage all FF and CF racers to endorse these rules adjustments and to email the CB signifying your support. I'm not sure why the Payen gasket is favored over the FelPro. I'll inquire. (I proposed the FelPro piece twice before and let's face it, a lot of guys run the FelPro on the Regional level anyway! Big deal.) Also, Jay Ivey, who has done a lot of the work on the flywheel, can comment on the flywheel profile. I'll call him tomorrow to get what info is available. John Merriman, Member - Formula Car Advisory Committee

Thread Information