Liked: 30

Default JB Weld question

[size=2]I need advise on a project and if someone on this forum doesn‘t know it, I’d venture it‘s not worth knowing. Being the anal personality that I am, I hate to use adhesive in critical areas but in this case It may the way to go--hence this thread.

[/size]What we’re doing is attaching an alum #12AN male fitting to a thin (very) wall tubing on my 89 Reynard from oil tank to pump. The fitting has been drilled so that the suction tube will be sleeved into it aprox 5/8” The tubing, it would seem, is to thin to weld and the alum parts are of the exactly the same material. Of course, my main worry is the pipe burning through or becoming too weak at the weld.

What are the thoughts on using JB Weld to mate these two parts?

DaveK
    [size=2]
    [/size]

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1908

Default Tig it !

Dave, I can weld tin foil with my TIG. Take your project to a GOOD welding shop and have them weld it. That's too critical of a part to play "let's try it" with. Hell....Box it up and send it to me and I'll weld it for free (you pay shipping)

Mike Agnifilo
    Stonebridge Sports and Classics
    (203)744-1120
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 0

Default epoxy limits

The first time I saw epoxy holding tanks and fittings together I was sceptical. Thirty years later and after observing the alloy fatigue cracking all around the epoxied joint I beleive. The keys to proper bonding is cleanliness, application of heat to force the epoxy to flow and never use it like welding. In other words if the tube is pressed or pushed into another tube-like fitting thats fine. Don't gob it on while in a thickened state and expect it to hold anything. It's only usefull to stick two items together, not to use structually. chester Carter SF region

Liked: 3787

I think in your situation WELD is the proper answer (without the J B). Unless you are at the track and it's less than an hour til the race.

Liked: 1

Default Alloy Welding

The correct way to do this is weld with TIG, as has been explained, but youshould always weld a thicker bit of alloy around the hole,then weld the fitting to it, this spreads the loading when tightening up your connection to your fitting.
    Roger

Thanks guys, I'll beat the bushes for a good welder and what turns up.

DaveK

Liked: 1

Default in the ATL soon?

Dave my crew man Stan can do it but you have to get it down here to Atl? We have welded street car tranmmissions and the biggest problem is getting all the oil out of the piece before welding. The oil seems to get in the "pours"? (sp) and then starts to come out when welding? I think the awnser is to put that thing in an oven before working it. Alum is a pain if not clean, it will seem to just "blow up" all of the sudden, thats with me welding (TIG rookie) but Stan can get it done. E-mail me if you are going to be in town and we can do it.
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Default Welder

Thanks, Mark. You guys are a bit far for me drop by but if I can't find anyone here I'll send it out. What's your mailing address?

Have you found a car yet?

DaveK

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Alum. "Blow up"

I had a problem welding up Japanese motorcycle engine cases in the 1970's. Sometimes they would "Blow up" and I finally found out they were casting them from reclaimed pistons and carbon deposits in the castings was the cause. I decided not to do any more as I could not predict the final results!

Thread Information