Thread: Hawke DL-11

Liked: 1

I just purchased a Hawke DL-11. It has been sitting outside (tarped) for 22 years. I have only seen pictures of it, however, I believe the chassis is in reasonable shape, but about 1/2 the suspension components will likely need to be replaced as they are very rusty. The motor turns over and the trans is said to be good.

pictures at www.pbase.com/85258/hawke_dl11

I was not looking for an ff and don't know much about them. The deal was just too good to pass up...

I have searched the net for info on Hawke and I found the Registry and some other general info. I want to know more about the the DL-11. Were they a competitive car in their day? Is there any parts cross over with other Hawke cars or any makes of ff? Where is a good source for parts (suspension, brakes, anything else...)?

Thanks

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

It's a Canadian car, where did you find it?

Rob

Liked: 11

Looks like you have your work cut out for you...

Wonder why someone would just leave it sitting outside for so long. Most likely everything will have to be rebuilt, but in the end you will completely understand the car.

Congrats on your new toy, and have fun!
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 0

Awesome!

Just like a time capsule! So _that's_ why I have some of the "spares" that are still installed on your car!

"85258" send me an e-mail at erikno_spamshep@yahoo.com (remove the no_spam) and I'll give you all the information I have on my DL12.

The DL11 and 12 are *very* similar under the skin. The only differences I can discern are (and there's no guarantee it's the way it came from the factory, but my car has): inboard rear brakes and a Mk9 trans, different front upper A-arms, sidepod radiators, CV joints as opposed to donuts, different battery placement (in the nose on the 12), and different throttle linkage. The chassis is identical it would seem. The uprights (at least the rears) look identical as well. You'll need to add the SCCA required roll hoop bracing if you're going to run with the SCCA. The DL11 was from 1973/1974, so it's not vintage eligible in the purist sense.

The Hawke Registry has been somewhat neglected lately, and I'm largely to blame as I told Vaughn of Vintage Garage that I'd revamp it. That said, a whole new picture section from John Bicht has been posted recently. ( http://www.vintagegarage.com/hbicht1.html ) It documents the Hawke Factory during the DL9 / DL10 era. John says he has some pictures of the DL11 that have not yet been posted, so I'll notify you when they're up.

I don't necessarily have the parts you need, but I've spent the last (friggin') two years trying to document the components as I tore my DL12 down to the frame and rebuilt it, so I could at least send you off with drawings to get something fabricated.

Good luck with the car and send me an e-mail. I have pictures, component lists, settings, etc. etc. I'd like to help shorten your restoration time because I know how frustrating it can be when you don't have any info...

Oh, by the way, where are you located? Canada? Anywhere near western NY?

Cheers,
    Erik

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 110

Erik,

Any new pics?

I still wish I kept and rebuilt my old hawke. Handled like a dream. S2 is a different ball-park. They really need to get the info updated to reflect your ownership of the old DL12....

Please send pics!
    Thanks!
    corky

Liked: 0

Hey Corky,

Well, the car is a little further along than what's shown below. (Does the frame on the left look familiar?) I'll get new picts shortly. We should catch up.

Erik

Liked: 146

The DL11 in its day was competitive. Nigle Mansell won the British FF championship in 1976 in one. I belive that there was only 30 made. There are two I know of in the UK, one in Malta and I have the only one in Australia.

Mine came out of Canada, and was sold by Gary Magwoods in Scarborough.

I have a few photos of mine on my web site web page in the News section.

I didnt know the DL11's had a rear engine cover.

If you need any other info, give me a call.

Having a closer look it appears that the front suspension has been altered. You dont pick up the front top wishbone at the top shock link.

The rack and the front sway bar appear to be in each others place. Setting the bump steer would be a bitch.

Hawke, could you please email me a close up picture of you front suspension?

email: racing at whissell.ca

The car was advertised on the local car club web classifieds. It is in Grande Cache, Alberta (think north!). I should have it in a week or 2. The fellow I bought it from has owned it since '80. He bought it from a guy that move out west from Toronto.

The car was parked because speedway park in Edmonton closed after the '82 season and there was no where to race. A few years later the track opened in calgary, but the guy had moved to northern Alberta and never got the desire to get it back on the track. So it sat, tarped out side...

Anyway, I am not sure what I am going to do with it. I don't have much spare time (baby, business, MBA). It was cheap and I am a collector of intersting things (junk), just ask my wife...

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 110

Erik,

It looks great. A lot of those parts look familiar! BTW: I have two more NEW hoses I found for your rad config in the trailer. If you send me your address, I will send them to you!

Corky
    ctjahn@hotmail.com

Photos emailed.

Thread Information