Liked: 984

Default Pitt Race SCCA Majors

A nice turnout of 10 well prepared Formula Continentals were entered in the SCCA Major's Race at Pittsburgh International Raceway this past weekend. Saturday started off wet, windy, and chilly but by the time qualifying began the track was quickly drying. Both wet and dry tires were on track for a clean session. From there the weather only improved giving warm and dry conditions for Race 1 and Q2 on Saturday afternoon and again for Sunday's feature race. Thanks go out to all who entered:

#00- Jeremy Swank - 2002 Van Diemen
    #08 - Don Betterly - 2012 FRF
    #8- Sean Gennari - 2000 Van Diemen
    #17- John LaRue - Citation
    #26- Rick Silver - 1998 Van Diemen
    #45- Dean Kiriluk - 2001 Van Diemen RF01-02
    #65- Michael Varacins - 2020 Van Diemen
    #72- Jeremy Swank - 2005 Van Diemen RF05
    #80- Corry Derr - 2012 RFR
    #145- Trevor Williams - 2012 Elan DP08 (MZR)

Mid-Ohio is next on the calendar May 17, 18, and 19 which features an excellent run group - FC/FA!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 7 users liked this post:

Liked: 391

What a great weekend.

Our numbers supported a split start with the FCs on our own which made for some fun and clean racing.

Congratulations to John and Dean who were really fast this weekend.

Anyone check in with Rick after the race to see how he's doing? Looks like he had a hard hit but was standing by his car so i assume he's ok.

Please try to make to mid ohio. We were given the opportunity to have this run group and without the numbers to support it, we might not get it again. Everyone should be making a solid effort at attending midohio in 3 weeks.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 58

I second that everything went so very well this past weekend. I jumped in the deep end of the pool with this quality field and first time at Pitt in a FC. Look forward to Mid Ohio where I have a bit more time. Great meeting some new people as well.

J Swank

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 984

Quote Originally Posted by f500racer View Post
    I second that everything went so very well this past weekend. I jumped in the deep end of the pool with this quality field and first time at Pitt in a FC. Look forward to Mid Ohio where I have a bit more time. Great meeting some new people as well.

J Swank
    It was great to see you make the event! Sorry I didn't get over to your paddock space to visit. I did make a quick run around the paddock on Sunday and saw your car sitting out, it looks great!

Liked: 24

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Sport Engineering View Post
    What a great weekend.

Our numbers supported a split start with the FCs on our own which made for some fun and clean racing.

Congratulations to John and Dean who were really fast this weekend.

Anyone check in with Rick after the race to see how he's doing? Looks like he had a hard hit but was standing by his car so i assume he's ok.
    I had a great time this past weekend at Pitt Race. First time out since last year with some major rebuilding in the offseason. I lost second gear on the start going into turn 1 in Race 1 and did the race in 3 gears. But thanks to John LaRue he lent me a dog ring and the car was good to go for Race 2 on Sunday.

Race 2 started off well enough, I had a nice race going with Andrew Gamble, good wheel to wheel racing for 9 laps until we caught some FE2 cars. On the back straight the FE2 pointed Andrew through, and I followed. Was completely along side, side by side at the kink on the back straight and the idiot did not see me at all. He apexed the kink, left me no room on track at all (where you could be 2 or 3 wide) and once in the grass at over 100 mph I was along for the ride.

I just dont understand the point of a split start with the FE2 cars in front. We just catch the slow and medium speed cars later. In fact this guy would have started behind me with no split start. Saturday with split start and FC in front worked well. Reverse it and trouble happens.

I think the race director is trying to do the right thing. I will follow up with her and hope she understands my experience.
    Last edited by Rick Silver; 05.03.24 at 9:27 AM.

Liked: 64

Rick,I’m sorry I couldn’t make it to Pittsburgh,have you thought about coming to Mid Ohio.We basically have our own run group and it’s sure to be a great time.
    I understand your frustration with the split starts,but it’s either that or mixed group,FE P1P2 and any other classes that are open wheel.
    We need to support our class
    Thanks
    Tim MinorFc88
    Tim Minor

Liked: 24

Hi Tim, I cant make Mid Ohio, I will be overseas on a business trip. I think my next race will be early June.

Thread Information