Liked: 5

Default Van diemen gear box oil leak

Just cleaning things up and found this leak. The oil was green in color. Is the front seal going out?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Does your car use the built-in overflow tank section? Is there a plate separating the gearbox and tank?
    That is open to the front of the gearbox. it could be the seal on the plate.

Green? If it is gear oil - could be a mixture of brands.

Liked: 5

Yes, it does have a breather connected to the oil side and gearbox.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 285

I understand that the breather from the LD-200 gearbox (which is plumbed into the overflow tank), is located directly above the pinon gear, and it will directly capture oil and send it to the overflow. I understand the fix is to cap this output, and different type of breather arrangement off the rear cover.

Late model oil tanks don't have the plate anymore, it directly seals to the front of the gearbox.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 604

Default gearbox oil?

If the oil you currently use in the gearbox is green/blue (redline shockproof) in color, then I would suspect that the input seal is leaking.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    I understand that the breather from the LD-200 gearbox (which is plumbed into the overflow tank), is located directly above the pinon gear, and it will directly capture oil and send it to the overflow. I understand the fix is to cap this output, and different type of breather arrangement off the rear cover.

Late model oil tanks don't have the plate anymore, it directly seals to the front of the gearbox.
    Didn't know which model he had....

Venting:
    https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...ght=ld200+vent

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

your picture shows the overflow tank in the back of the bellhousing. Try to determine if what you show pooling is engine oil or gear oil (Kea's comment may give you a hint). The VD oil system will puke any oil in excess of about 5.5 qts into the overflow so its likely engine oil, but might not be. That tank is something that should be drained and watched on a regular basis- my experience is the input shaft seal rarely fails; if it does, you will find the gear oil will travel through the input shaft tube and end up around the clutch, not in that overflow tank.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information