Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1475

Default duty on parts from the UK

Does anyone have a good method for estimating duty and fees from the UK to the US? I have about $1000 in a potential order from Burton I'd like to place.

Decades ago I bought a complete set of suspension from Alan Cornock, only to find I was just a few bucks over some limit that dramatically increased my costs.

Tried a couple of online calculators and it seemed like duty was not much compared to a lot of the BS the brokers piled on.

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    Does anyone have a good method for estimating duty and fees from the UK to the US? I have about $1000 in a potential order from Burton I'd like to place.

Decades ago I bought a complete set of suspension from Alan Cornock, only to find I was just a few bucks over some limit that dramatically increased my costs.

Tried a couple of online calculators and it seemed like duty was not much compared to a lot of the BS the brokers piled on.
    I believe that the critical limits are $800 and $2500.

A shipment with retail value under $800 can enter duty-free under the de minimis rule (the limit used to be $200).

A shipment under $2500 would be classified as an informal import, subject to paperwork and duty, but free of having to post a bond.

Of course, broker charges are variable, and can be significant. A lot seems to depend on what shipper the vendor chooses. In my experience, outfits like DHL, Fedex, and UPS charge significant fees. Parcels coming via the Royal Mail much less.

Bottom line, if I were spending $1000 total, I might consider splitting the order into two separate orders, each under $800.

Caveat: My experience is from 2018, so best to confirm my numbers.

Update: Duty itself on car parts is not large - something on the order of 2.5% IIRC. On a $1000 order, your brokerage fees might well exceed the duty.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 799

My recollection from a few years ago is also 2.5%.
    What came up is that if the order seems larger than an individual might need, (yes, highly subjective), cusoms wonders if perhaps you are a reseller and should the IRS be involved?
    It's perfectly legal for you to send multiple small orders to yourself at different addresses.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    I believe that the critical limits are $800 and $2500.

Update: Duty itself on car parts is not large - something on the order of 2.5% IIRC. On a $1000 order, your brokerage fees might well exceed the duty.
    The 2.5% number rings a bell, and then on one of the free sites I saw the fees - and wondered why in the world I'd need to pay a bond for instance.
    '
    I think a few minutes with a spreadsheet and I'll be able to balance the costs of duty and fees with the additional costs of shipping.

I bought a dizzy a few weeks back from the UK and there was no duty, no broker, easy peasy.

I played around with splitting the order into heavy vs light stuff, and it looks like any split will cost me an additional 50 pounds in shipping. If I sent it all in one it would be essentially the same as just the heavy stuff, so there must be a large fixed fee of nearly 50 pounds.

Burton sends their stuff DHL.

Kinda complicated to game this without full information.

Thread Information