Liked: 27

Default First time axle removal-pfm

Im trying to remove the axles to service the tripods. What else do I need to remove so the axle pulls out? Do I need to remove the whole tripod?

Im assuming I don’t want to whole flange that plugs into the side of the gearbox to come out? It looks like if I remove it, the fresh gear oil will run out. Refer to picture #1.

This is left side of the car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0612.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	110806   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0616.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	110805   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0610.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	110807  

Liked: 285

The part that the rubber boot sits on needs to be removed. I think there is a spiral retaining ring, looks like the end is at about the 3 o'clock position in your picture #2.

To remove those, you get a small screwdriver under the end tang, and wedge it toward the center, once it clears the groove, it will try to lift out, and you just spiral out the rest of it. Installation is just get the first part in, and squeeze / spiral into place.

Here a video on removing / installing those:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka6jmXWqmoY
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    The part that the rubber boot sits on needs to be removed. I think there is a spiral retaining ring, looks like the end is at about the 3 o'clock position in your picture #2.

To remove those, you get a small screwdriver under the end tang, and wedge it toward the center, once it clears the groove, it will try to lift out, and you just spiral out the rest of it. Installation is just get the first part in, and squeeze / spiral into place.

Here a video on removing / installing those:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka6jmXWqmoY
    Thanks Dave. Am I correct that I don’t want that notched flange to come out of the side of the gearbox?

Is there a spiral retaining ring on the wheel/tire end of the axel too?

Liked: 14

Hi Extreme,

Love this thread!!! Buy a car, and then figure it out. It’s one of the most satisfying experiences.

When I got into karting, the kart showed up and I did not even have tools, had no mechanical background, and did not even know what a piston was!!! All I knew is that I wanted to go kart racing. Figured it all out, and now I can put one together literally with my eyes closed, and became the go-to person at the kart track due to my knowledge.

One advantage I think of what you’re doing is that you get a good sense of the whole car while sitting in the grid.

I also bought a FC, and took it apart slowly, and now have a solid handling of how to work on the car by myself.

Next step for you will be learning setup, aerodynamics, etc, Dave W just posted a great PDF of handling and there is a great engineering PDF out there on aerodynamics. I learned a lot from that also.

Bought a PFM and will start on that soon with the same approach. Younger hobbyists folks (not the career-oriented in USF, etc), don’t do this anymore, they either run with a team or not do it at all. Maybe it’s a generational thing.

PM me so we can be in contact when I start on my PFM!!!

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 285

Look in the Hewland FTR manual (https://starracecars.com/wp-content/...anual-3-09.pdf), which shows the Tripoid Gaitor setup. After removing the spiral locking ring, the black part will just pull out and you can remove the entire axle / with inner tripod joint. The Tripoid Joint Outer stays with the gearbox.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    Look in the Hewland FTR manual (https://starracecars.com/wp-content/...anual-3-09.pdf), which shows the Tripoid Gaitor setup. After removing the spiral locking ring, the black part will just pull out and you can remove the entire axle / with inner tripod joint. The Tripoid Joint Outer stays with the gearbox.

Thanks again Dave, I found it on page 51 of that manual. It makes sense now.

Thread Information