Contributing Member CheckeredFlag's Avatar
    Liked: 116

Default 2024 VIR HST - Low Count?

Here we are just 7 days until the VIR HST test day before the race weekend and there's only 191 total entries, 17 of which are the new SMX class. Why the low car count?

As of today, the big bore open wheel group has 19 entries, but 16 of those are FE2's. Only 1 P1 and 2 P2's registered. That leaves zero FA, FC, and FX entries.

I know SRF3 pilot Bobby Sak said after last year's event he wouldn't return. So far, he's not registered. Gabe doesn't go there any more after the last HST we entered back in 2021. That was the event where Rettich got punted on the last restart and came to rest offline, but they still called a FCY, finishing under yellow.

Any thoughts?
    Dean Fehribach
    Car owner: SCCA Enterprises FE2 chassis #037.
    Car owner: 2017 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Autocross STU

Liked: 91

Default Low worker count too

VIR has mandated a VIR staffer at every corner and in control room, at a cost of $200/day per person. SCCA will have to rent more VIR workers if more volunteers don't sign up. Low car count and VIR surcharges may make for a money losing weekend, all while watching cars under FCY for laps before emergency vehicles are even deployed.

Liked: 799

Without suggesting why, the facts are that last year the FC group got 8 green laps total over the whole weekend. Very sad but not surprised at all by the lack of entries….
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Liked: 388

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    Without suggesting why, the facts are that last year the FC group got 8 green laps total over the whole weekend. Very sad but not surprised at all by the lack of entries….
    That was in 2022. Last year when they broke the big bore open wheel group into 2 groups, we had fantastic track time. It was one of the best SCCA events I had been to when running an FC.

I said I would go back again this year if they continued to separate the big bore group, but instead they decided to create a second Miata run group. I'm not supporting that nonsense.

5. The following 4 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

The Flagtronics and new rainlight will fix all these issues

7. The following 9 users liked this post:

Liked: 227

I think VIR's reputation for aggressive use of FCY and excessive laps behind the safety car are keeping some people away now that it's no longer a Runoffs tune up weekend.

For me (and I'm sure many others), the cost is just getting hard to justify. $760 for 4 sessions is too much, but not much more than other HST events. What's crazy is $460 for the test day of 3 sessions.

Two FFs and two F600s (including me) are signed up as of this morning. I thought about withdrawing but I don't like CMP, which makes VIR the closest track to me. Wish the May Majors would move back to the Charlotte roval. Test days are always part of my plan due to the otherwise shrinking amount of track time, but I'm skipping this one due to the cost. Hoping for many green flag laps for $760!

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

Quote Originally Posted by cory mcleod View Post
    I think VIR's reputation for aggressive use of FCY and excessive laps behind the safety car are keeping some people away now that it's no longer a Runoffs tune up weekend.

The situation at VIR is rapidly evolving into something very similar to the Glen.

EV is entirely track personnel/equipment. The latest changes imposed specify at least one track flagger at each corner station, and this person will be the corner captain. I fear that the SCCA volunteer F&C response will be similar to that at the Glen (i.e. participation will wither away). I am told that the track will charge $200 per flagger per day, so you can imagine the impact on event financials.

The communicator in to tower will be a track person, as well. And, FCY for every EV dispatch.

The end result will be something very similar to the Glen, made more so by the length of the track (i.e. longer downtime for every FCY).
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 227

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    The situation at VIR is rapidly evolving into something very similar to the Glen.

EV is entirely track personnel/equipment. The latest changes imposed specify at least one track flagger at each corner station, and this person will be the corner captain. I fear that the SCCA volunteer F&C response will be similar to that at the Glen (i.e. participation will wither away). I am told that the track will charge $200 per flagger per day, so you can imagine the impact on event financials.

The communicator in to tower will be a track person, as well. And, FCY for every EV dispatch.

The end result will be something very similar to the Glen, made more so by the length of the track (i.e. longer downtime for every FCY).
    Coincidentally, I received a note from the NC Region last week asking for drivers/crew to help work the HST this weekend.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Perhaps the question should be: I would anyone select this event?

Not only is it an awkward event to get to, it is in a very awkward part of the race season.
    If you are from the north and do the winter races, then you have your 3 events in and your local season is approaching.
    If you are from the Florida and do the winter races, then you have your 3 events in.
    If you are from the Atlanta area it is only several weeks away from the Road Atlanta event.
    If you are from the WDC area it is only several weeks away from the Summit Point event.
    It is the 4th event of the season so money and time have been spent on the previous three.
    Spring is coming and local race schedules are starting.
    It is rain season.
    The Runoffs are not there this year.
    All the other operational issues with this facility.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Perhaps the question should be: I would anyone select this event?

Not only is it an awkward event to get to, it is in a very awkward part of the race season.
    If you are from the north and do the winter races, then you have your 3 events in and your local season is approaching.
    If you are from the Florida and do the winter races, then you have your 3 events in.
    If you are from the Atlanta area it is only several weeks away from the Road Atlanta event.
    If you are from the WDC area it is only several weeks away from the Summit Point event.
    It is the 4th event of the season so money and time have been spent on the previous three.
    Spring is coming and local race schedules are starting.
    It is rain season.
    The Runoffs are not there this year.
    All the other operational issues with this facility.

On the up side, as of 5 minutes ago, there are more stewards than flaggers registered.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Thread Information