Liked: 8

Default Clutch and pressure plate options?

What say thee experienced Vee racers?

I know there isn't super extreme stress's that are being put on the clutch system but I'd think they are
    more extreme than a daily driver putting around town. Are there any preferred clutch discs and pressure plates that everyone
    likes to run?

Thanks in advance.

Liked: 830

You really don't have many options to work with...
    From the GCR...
    The following component parts may be replaced with that of other manufacture, provided said part is
    of the same material, is dimensionally identical, and meets all other tolerances and specifications stated
    in the GCR.
    14. Flywheel minimum weight twelve (12) lbs.
    15. Pressure plate, or alternate SACHS 211 141 025 DAM pressure plate, with a minimum weight of
    6.25 lbs.
    16. Clutch disc – 180mm nominal diameter only
    17. Throw out bearing
    Finding one of the old 3 finger versions would be pretty tough. I presume that most everyone is running the SACHS type replacement like this one from JBUGS.com

The newer 'multi-finger' version has a 'sharper' grab, but allows complete disengagement with less pedal travel. The 180mm size is the only size allowed ('stock' size). There are also 2 types .. maybe even 3 of throwout bearings. They seem to all work about the same. Just make sure you spin it every time the engine is out. If it makes NOISE, replace it. The 'standard' discs are all the same and are more than adequate for racing service. The disc only 'wears' (mostly) during movement after a STOP so they last a LONG time (unless you get a LEAK from rear main or front of trans). Generally the disc is only looked at during engine rebuild. Inspect it for breaks in the material and measure the thickness against a new one. I don't think I have changed a disc in several years.. actually MANY years.

OH.. this would also be a good time to remind everyone to always put a 'dab' of light grease on the tip of the trans input shaft every time you install the engine.

Steve, FV80
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32-1256-B-EMPI-VW-Clutch-Kit-180mm_540x540.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	110755  
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

3. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 58

Default Clutch-Pressure plate

Sachs-Amortex disc ( Brazilian) is what most use. Valeo is a lesser version and seems to have been OK in the past.

Pressure plates: I have both the three finger Brazilian and German Sachs available but most will use the diaphragm style due to availability and cost.

Dietmar
    Quixoteracing.com

5. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Awesome thanks for everyone's input. I currently have a 3 finger but it has some pretty good heat spots all over. So I figured while it's apart to just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dietmar View Post
    Sachs-Amortex disc ( Brazilian) is what most use. Valeo is a lesser version and seems to have been OK in the past.

Pressure plates: I have both the three finger Brazilian and German Sachs available but most will use the diaphragm style due to availability and cost.

Dietmar
    Quixoteracing.com
    Do you prefer the 3 finger to the new multi style? If so why?

Thanks

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

Diaphragm style has more clamping force.

Brian

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 58

Default Clutch and pressure plate

BBW:

I personally have only used the three finger since they were available to me so I can not comment on differences other than cost.
    The three finger is a few tenths lighter, but the machine shop that does my balancing prefers the diaphragm. Says they are easier to balance with the flywheel.
    I have a limited supply of the three finger and when they are gone, the only alternative will be the diaphragm style.
    Over the years I have seen a number of people pop the center disc off the three finger when they installed their engines. The disc gets caught on the input shaft and they don't notice until they step on the clutch. Can't happen with the diaphragm plate.

A recent build on my son's car and we used the diaphragm pressure plate.

Hope that helps you decide.

Dietmar
    Quixoteracing.com

11. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Thread Information