Liked: 3

Default Drivers school license transfer VSCDA -> SCCA

I'm trying to get my competition license. Can I take the driver's school with VSCDA and then transfer that to the SCCA?

The tracks I typically run are Mid-ohio, VIR, NCM park and Pitt race. I would be open to vintage racing in my area and with the SCCA FC class. I'm open to other organizations, but it seems the most people are with the SCCA.

Liked: 942

Default The rulebook - the GCR

From Appendix C.

SCCA will accept valid competition licenses from other organizations.

2.8. Full Competition License
    A. A driver who has completed all Novice Permit requirements, including the acknowledgment signature of
    the Race Director, Chief Steward or Chairman SOM, may follow the directions in the Permit to apply for
    an upgrade to a Full Competition License. For the three consecutive weekends after he has submitted
    his Full Competition License application to the National Office for processing, he may use a photocopy
    of the Permit as a Full Competition License to race.
    B. Licenses listed below will be accepted as equivalent to a SCCA Full Competition License at SCCA
    Regional events.
    1. BMW CCA Club Racing Full Competition
    2. Confederation of Autosport Car Clubs (CACC) Competition
    3. FIA Issued by any sanctioning body
    4. Historic Sportscar Racing (HSR) HSR License
    5. ICSCC Area Road Racing or International Road Racing licenses
    6. IMSA Issued License
    Appendix C. Licensing and TypesGCR - 106
    7. Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs (MCSCC) Full and Novice permit
    8. NASA Full Competition
    9. Ontario Region CASC Regional
    10. Porsche Club of America Full Competition
    11. SCCA Pro Racing licenses (F4, FR, Trans Am, FRP - 14 years of age and older only)
    12. SCCA Vintage
    13. Sportscar Vintage Racing Association (SVRA)
    14. Vintage Auto Racing Association Full Competition
    15. Vintage Motorsports Council (VMC) and VMC member organiza-tions. A list of organizations can
    be found here: http://the-vmc.com/.
    16. Waterford Hills Road Racing Club Full and Novice permit
    17. West Canada Motorsport Association Amateur
    18. Eastern Motor Racing Association (EMRA) Competition License.
    19. Atlantic Region Motor Sports (ARMS) Regional Competition License
    20. Autobahn Country Club Level 1/Level 2
    21. Indy Car Issued License
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 301

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    15. Vintage Motorsports Council (VMC) and VMC member organiza-tions. A list of organizations can
    VSCDA is a VMC club.
    However, SCCA may want to see more than just a school in your history before they issue a competition license.
    Glenn

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    From Appendix C.

SCCA will accept valid competition licenses from other organizations.

2.8. Full Competition License
    A. A driver who has completed all Novice Permit requirements, including the acknowledgment signature of
    the Race Director, Chief Steward or Chairman SOM, may follow the directions in the Permit to apply for
    an upgrade to a Full Competition License. For the three consecutive weekends after he has submitted
    his Full Competition License application to the National Office for processing, he may use a photocopy
    of the Permit as a Full Competition License to race.
    B. Licenses listed below will be accepted as equivalent to a SCCA Full Competition License at SCCA
    Regional events.
    1. BMW CCA Club Racing Full Competition
    2. Confederation of Autosport Car Clubs (CACC) Competition
    3. FIA Issued by any sanctioning body
    4. Historic Sportscar Racing (HSR) HSR License
    5. ICSCC Area Road Racing or International Road Racing licenses
    6. IMSA Issued License
    Appendix C. Licensing and TypesGCR - 106
    7. Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs (MCSCC) Full and Novice permit
    8. NASA Full Competition
    9. Ontario Region CASC Regional
    10. Porsche Club of America Full Competition
    11. SCCA Pro Racing licenses (F4, FR, Trans Am, FRP - 14 years of age and older only)
    12. SCCA Vintage
    13. Sportscar Vintage Racing Association (SVRA)
    14. Vintage Auto Racing Association Full Competition
    16. Waterford Hills Road Racing Club Full and Novice permit
    17. West Canada Motorsport Association Amateur
    18. Eastern Motor Racing Association (EMRA) Competition License.
    19. Atlantic Region Motor Sports (ARMS) Regional Competition License
    20. Autobahn Country Club Level 1/Level 2
    21. Indy Car Issued License
    Did I hear correctly that SCCA will accept a NASA license but NASA wont accept an SCCA license?

Liked: 91

Default It worked for me

It will depend on the scca license you are trying to obtain and your history of racing. You need to write a few paragraphs explaining your level and history on track when applying for a waiver with the scca region representative. They will send your application to national office for approval. If you are applying for a full national competition license, I think the bare minimum they would want to see is 3 race weekends of clean driving at a decent pace compared to leading driver in your class. I got a full comp waiver thru Chicago Region scca, but had a 4 year history of racing fv with vscda.

Your results may vary, so try emailing your regions Licensing guy and see what they think.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 91

Default Furthermore

If you are getting started with regional scca races, I am sure they would give you a novice permit based on vscda drivers school, but doubt they would let you go straight to a super tour event.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by brian styczynski View Post
    It will depend on the scca license you are trying to obtain and your history of racing. You need to write a few paragraphs explaining your level and history on track when applying for a waiver with the scca region representative. They will send your application to national office for approval. If you are applying for a full national competition license, I think the bare minimum they would want to see is 3 race weekends of clean driving at a decent pace compared to leading driver in your class. I got a full comp waiver thru Chicago Region scca, but had a 4 year history of racing fv with vscda.

Your results may vary, so try emailing your regions Licensing guy and see what they think.
    This is great feedback thanks. I'm 13 years of track days and lemons racing, but no actually SCCA racing.

Quote Originally Posted by brian styczynski View Post
    If you are getting started with regional scca races, I am sure they would give you a novice permit based on vscda drivers school, but doubt they would let you go straight to a super tour event.
    That seems totally reasonable and what I'm looking for.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 601

Default Driver School

Why don't you just enter the WHRRI/SCCA school at Waterford Hills this year?
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Quote Originally Posted by kea View Post
    Why don't you just enter the WHRRI/SCCA school at Waterford Hills this year?

I did, but they didn't have enough FC or similar cars sign up. So they canceled the class for that run group.
    So I have to rent a SM or go to another school.

Liked: 165

Quote Originally Posted by redcar9 View Post
    I did, but they didn't have enough FC or similar cars sign up. So they canceled the class for that run group.
    Probably a bit of a hike for you but there is an SCCA school at Blackhawk Farms April 18-21. Would love to see more FCs in the area!
    Van Diemen RF99 FC

Liked: 113

If you are willing to apply for just your novice permit rather than full competition license then the VSCDA school should be recognized.

You are, however, at the mercy of your regional / divisional licensing administrator and there is not a standard policy within SCCA regions as to what is accepted.

You do have a choice of designating your region of record when you join SCCA and it does not have to be the region where your residence is located.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

17. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 601

Default Drivers School

Quote Originally Posted by redcar9 View Post
    Well........ that sucks !
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Silverberg View Post
    If you are willing to apply for just your novice permit rather than full competition license then the VSCDA school should be recognized.

You are, however, at the mercy of your regional / divisional licensing administrator and there is not a standard policy within SCCA regions as to what is accepted.

You do have a choice of designating your region of record when you join SCCA and it does not have to be the region where your residence is located.
    I reached out to them today. Got a response we will see how this goes. Got it, good to know you can pick another location.

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

Quote Originally Posted by rockbeau25 View Post
    Probably a bit of a hike for you but there is an SCCA school at Blackhawk Farms April 18-21. Would love to see more FCs in the area!
    Or if that weekend doesn't work, MCSCC has a school the following weekend also at Blackhawk Farms.

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by hdsporty1988 View Post
    Or if that weekend doesn't work, MCSCC has a school the following weekend also at Blackhawk Farms.
    Can you post a link, I can't find this. Only the 2022 school.

25. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 597

1. Get an SCCA Novice Permit. ....then.
    Get in touch with the Chief Driving Instructor for your Division of the SCCA. SCCA racing is organized by Region and Division and then there's National. Inform them of your current and past "Credentials." Ask the Instructor if he'll sign off your Novice Permit without your having gone through an SCCA Driver's School.

2. And maybe you try this before #1 above
    Get an SCCA Novice Permit. ....then.
    Some Chief Stewards will allow the following >
    You enter an SCCA Regional race on your not signed off Novice Permit.....You talk to the Chief Steward, after they've come
    to know your "Credentials" and that you have a Novice Permit. The Chief Steward says > put a big "X" on your car so I can
    watch you all weekend.....and I will let you enter the weekend.....and I will keep my eye on especially you.....and if you don't do
    anything stupid to yourself or others all weekend......at the end of the weekend I will sign off your Novice Permit.

The big deal in many people's minds (the volunteers / Stewards / Corner Workers / etc.) about a Driver's School is not that you've become some especially fast and great Driver.....
    It's that you watched for, acknowledged and most importantly followed all the flags during all the sessions.....that you had a clue where the racing line is and stayed on it when you had cars in your mirrors.....that you were not blocking cars.... that you were not spinning or going "4 off" at corners all the time....that any pass you made was not some last second Banzi !! move. To give you some credit > I'll bet you know all this already < but these are the words you need to use when talking to either the Chief Steward or the Chief Driving Instructor about getting signed off. Good Luck !

27. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information