Liked: 4

Default Electric Radiator Fan

I am installing an electric radiator fan and need to know where to install the thermoswitch? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Liked: 942

Somewhere between where the coolant flows from the engine and the inlet to the radiator. Some radiators have a tap in the tank for that purpose.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Somewhere between where the coolant flows from the engine and the inlet to the radiator. Some radiators have a tap in the tank for that purpose.

Thanks, I will have to check for that on the radiator.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 89

Could also install it in a coolant line, probably the inlet to the radiator, that is going to be the hottest temp in the system.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 278

Isn't the fan setup a kit from Star? Call them and ask

Quote Originally Posted by 10rmotor View Post
    Could also install it in a coolant line, probably the inlet to the radiator, that is going to be the hottest temp in the system.
    I am going to have to do that, thanks.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Michael View Post
    Isn't the fan setup a kit from Star? Call them and ask
    I already called them, no help with it.

I found the fix and will be testing it out next month! Thanks for the input!

Default PFM Radiator Fan

Hello, I’m installing a fan on my radiator and was wondering where I need to put the temp sensor switch? I also bought an inline water hose fitting adapter that connects in the waterline to the top of radiator but in all the pictures of PFM I’ve gone through, I’ve never seen this on any of them. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8122.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	111026   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8123.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	111027  

Liked: 530

The in-line adapter has a port for the temp sensor if you want to use that. Otherwise, you could have a threaded bung welded into the radiator.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    The in-line adapter has a port for the temp sensor if you want to use that. Otherwise, you could have a threaded bung welded into the radiator.
    Thanks!

Liked: 1

This seems like an overly complex install when the car already has provisions for this.

The car (should) have a temp sensor on the upper neck of the water pump (where the rx8 thermostat would live). This sensor feeds into the Motec ecu which can control the fan. Should be wiring for it probably under the seat with a relay.

I have done a TON of AIM system installs in these cars and what I commonly do to upgrade the fan system is allow the AIM logger to trigger the fan on/off at whatever parameters needed and can adjust it for hotter days vs cooler days as needed. Along with this system i also add a toggle switch in the cockpit for a few reasons.. Incase AIM system fails (havnt seen it yet but...) or if there is a scenario where you want to run it without getting to temp (like to test the fan).

Many ways to do this, either automated or manually

Some wiring tips, make sure to put wires in some sort of heat sleeve where they go near radiator/exhaust, and make sure to run a relay/fuse setup. Ive seen and fixed a lot of homemade fire starters.

Quote Originally Posted by b.reed View Post
    Hello, I’m installing a fan on my radiator and was wondering where I need to put the temp sensor switch? I also bought an inline water hose fitting adapter that connects in the waterline to the top of radiator but in all the pictures of PFM I’ve gone through, I’ve never seen this on any of them. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Tech-One Racing View Post
    This seems like an overly complex install when the car already has provisions for this.

The car (should) have a temp sensor on the upper neck of the water pump (where the rx8 thermostat would live). This sensor feeds into the Motec ecu which can control the fan. Should be wiring for it probably under the seat with a relay.

I have done a TON of AIM system installs in these cars and what I commonly do to upgrade the fan system is allow the AIM logger to trigger the fan on/off at whatever parameters needed and can adjust it for hotter days vs cooler days as needed. Along with this system i also add a toggle switch in the cockpit for a few reasons.. Incase AIM system fails (havnt seen it yet but...) or if there is a scenario where you want to run it without getting to temp (like to test the fan).

Many ways to do this, either automated or manually

Some wiring tips, make sure to put wires in some sort of heat sleeve where they go near radiator/exhaust, and make sure to run a relay/fuse setup. Ive seen and fixed a lot of homemade fire starters.

Thanks for the info. I have AIM logger with Motec M400 ECU. I’ll check and see if this has the temp sensor already. That’s good to know. When I bought the car it didn’t have a fan set up.

Liked: 7

That's how mine is installed (chassis #04566) - the temperature probe (and I have a spare somewhere if you need the MoTeC part number) is in the Mazda OEM hole near the thermostat. I have the MoTeC programmed to run the fan when coolant temperature is 190 or above and vehicle speed is less than 5 or 10 (I can't remember exactly) MPH. That way, as soon as I start rolling, it shuts down the fan regardless of coolant temperature. I've also been running VP Racing Stay Frosty and I never see coolant temperature above 200 on track.

Liked: 1

Ive never seen a car without the temp probe, but any things possible when people start touching cars lol.
    Which AIM logger? I think most of them should be capable of running a fan circuit. I used to make the harness to do this but its way easier with the car in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by b.reed View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have AIM logger with Motec M400 ECU. I’ll check and see if this has the temp sensor already. That’s good to know. When I bought the car it didn’t have a fan set up.

Thread Information