Thread: Steven Johnson

Liked: 9

Default Steven Johnson

I'm sad to say that Steven passed away Thursday night. I knew he had been doing dialysis 3 times per week for the past year. First met Steven in 2003 for the Florida Winter Nationals. Used my shop in Ft Pierce to set up his latest SR71, Lola 8890. He won both events.
    I knew, and he even told me, about the way he went through friends during his career. He had some regrets. He was never rude or used a harsh word with me during the 20 years I knew him. We became good friends and when he invited me to come stay at his resort in Sint Maarten I gladly accepted. He was a very talented, blunt, man.
    I will miss him.
    RIP Steven
    Vic
    I have seen the enemy.....and he is ME!!
    Vic Culbertson

2. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 1108

If any of this is inappropriate, please feel free to have it removed…

Very sorry you’ve lost your friend, but you’ve done him right here.

Some of the most wonderful people I’ve known in racing matched your description — including a favorite mentor. It seems we forget, in racing and in life, that stresses can run high at the track, on some days, and that we’re all different. I’ve also learned that some very direct people have been disrespected too many times, by people they’d never treat that way, and almost come to expect it from others until they prove themselves of having similar honor to theirs.

I spoke with Steve several times at the Runoffs, and while he had on his race face, he reminded me of others like him — and we had nice talks. In fact, I really liked him.

At the Runoffs, he won F Production once, and possibly S2000 in the early ‘80s but think that was a 2nd (Edit: looked, he had a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd).

Both cars were black with a big #1 on them, which can be a bad look in many racing cases. But in Steve’s case, it was true, and I hope his suffering was at a minimum.

Race in Peace.
    Last edited by E1pix; 03.16.24 at 11:08 AM.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

4. The following 4 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

As hard-core a racer as they come.

Godspeed Steve
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

6. The following 5 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 148

Steve was the standard in S2000 in the N.E. We spoke at Saturday socials on most race weekends.
    It seemed out of character since it was unlike his usual behavior of 100% race face.
    I later found out Ron and Joan Stiller from Goodyear/ Comp. tire asked him to keep an eye on my
    early race efforts. He set the bar for innovation and prep and lead by example for lots of new drivers.
    R.I.P.

8. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    If any of this is inappropriate, please feel free to have it removed…

Very sorry you’ve lost your friend, but you’ve done him right here.

Some of the most wonderful people I’ve known in racing matched your description — including a favorite mentor. It seems we forget, in racing and in life, that stresses can run high at the track, on some days, and that we’re all different. I’ve also learned that some harsh people have been disrespected too many times, by people they’d never treat that way, and almost come to expect it from others until they prove themselves of having similar honor to theirs.

He did have some angry posts here, and honestly I sensed something was very wrong in his life. His health might explain that, I totally get it if so, it happens, and it’s too easy and especially in the forum context to judge quickly in not knowing what others might be dealing with.

I spoke with Steve several times at the Runoffs, and while he had on his race face, he reminded me of others like him — and we had nice talks. In fact, I really liked him.

At the Runoffs, I am reasonably sure he won F Production once, or maybe twice, and possibly S2000 in the early ‘80s but think that was a 2nd.

Both cars were black with a big #1 on them, which can be a bad look in many racing cases. But in Steve’s case, it was true, and I hope his suffering was at a minimum.

Race in Peace.
    I did not know Steve very well, but...

He won the Runoffs in FP in a Spitfire in 1979, and in an S2 (SR71) in 2003.

When we did interact, we always got on well. And I thought so highly of his setup skills that in 1997 I recommended him to be an Indy Lights engineer for Indy Regency Racing when I no longer had the time to do that job well.

I agree with Eric that Steve's health did affect the way he acted. I PM'd him a few times regarding strange posts he made on ApexSpeed that were likely indicative of his taking too many meds in order to deal with his back pain. And those meds likely destroyed his kidneys.

A year or 2 ago we had multiple conversations regarding options to deal with his kidney failure, and I contacted several doctor friends to see what they would recommend. The only option seemed to be a kidney transplant, and apparently he could not get that to happen.

I also thought Stonebridge's comment fitting.

RIP Steve.
    Last edited by DaveW; 03.28.24 at 11:39 AM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

10. The following 6 users liked this post:

Contributing Member captaineddie1975's Avatar
    Liked: 19

I knew Steven well as it was his prep of my S2000 Lolas in 1986 and 1987 that allowed me to win the NARRC Championship Runoffs at Lime Rock back to back in those years. He started experimenting with changes that once refined became his SR71 modifications to his later cars. I was very sorry to read of his passing.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

Several years ago on the S2000 board, Steve basically held an open forum. Essentially a "you guys ask, I'll tell you how it is" session. It was amazing the complete and total dedication to doing it the right way. The dude was clearly 100% racer.

edit: Here's the link. Pretty solid reading and entertaining at times:https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/s2ra...lue-t4697.html
    Last edited by teamwisconsin; 03.28.24 at 1:23 PM. Reason: added link
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

14. The following 9 users liked this post:

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by teamwisconsin View Post
    Several years ago on the S2000 board, Steve basically held an open forum. Essentially a "you guys ask, I'll tell you how it is" session. It was amazing the complete and total dedication to doing it the right way. The dude was clearly 100% racer.

edit: Here's the link. Pretty solid reading and entertaining at times:https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/s2ra...lue-t4697.html
    He was a savant when it came to setup. I was in awe of his skills back in the late '90's, and this link reinforces that opinion.
    Dave Weitzenhof

16. The following 5 users liked this post:

Thread Information