Liked: 830

Default Is there any sim that will run under Win 7 these days?

In order to 'get into' sim a bit, several years ago, I bought (BUILT) a brand new complete top of the line computer with most of the trick stuff and started using rFactor, and then rF2 and later even added Accetto Corsa. Now, NONE of those sims (now all under the guise of STEAM) will run any more. Anyone know of a sim that WILL still run.. or a way to 'adapt'? Pretty irritating. I've been through the Win FORCED UPDATES a few times and it always costs me a LOT OF MONEY and also a WHOLE LOT OF TIME. WEEKS generally to get the new OS running.. and then very few of my 'apps' (software) will run. At my age, I'm no longer interested in 'moving up' again. Steam requires Win 10+. The only use it (Steam) has for me it to tie up my computer for hours every time I turn it on after being off for more than 24 hours.... and then finally tell me that my OS is outdated and can't be used.
    Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 0

Default Windows 7

Steve, I had the same issue with Steam and Windows 7 (as well as Chrome and other softwares). I was very pleasantly surprised to be able to download Windows 10 for free and install it on my Windows 7 computers with no issue at all!! it was not difficult. Now my computers work well with everything and actually run better than when they were on Windows 7. PM me if you want to know where I got the software from. Good luck

Liked: 447

I'm afraid the days of holding onto an old operating system and still trying to use relevant applications are no longer practically feasible. Due to the lack of support and security updates in our now online world forces all companies to update or die so trying to run a modern sim on an old OS won't be very easy to do. Microsoft will be dropping support for Windows 10 next year so that will then push everyone to at least Windows 11 to keep up with updates. Microsoft does release LTSB versions which are "Long Term Service Branch" versions of their operating systems which get updates much less frequently than regular versions do. But if you're really stuck on keeping Windows 7 (I can't recall which antivirus applications even support it anymore), you may be able to still run the original rFactor or Live for Speed versions that aren't Steam dependent. I'd hate to even suggest it, but a console platform may be a look as well with titles like Assetto Corsa, Gran Turismo, or the F1 series. Good luck in your quest though.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 830

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    I'm afraid the days of holding onto an old operating system and still trying to use relevant applications are no longer practically feasible....
    You are correct for sure.. but I'm not wanting to run 'todays relevant applications' .. I just want to run what I could run 6 months ago. Or even what I could run 2 YEARS ago.. before Steam took over ...
    Steve
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 296

Just upgrade to W10 or W11 already. The time you have spent here complaining is more than it would have taken to fix the issue.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 447

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Livengood View Post
    Just upgrade to W10 or W11 already. The time you have spent here complaining is more than it would have taken to fix the issue.
    I agree. Upgrading to Windows 10 or any OS that has been around a while where all the bugs have been worked out or at least solutions found for common issues have been worked through. You can shut off update as well although I really wouldn't recommend it either. Windows 7 isn't really safe to use if you're also on the Internet with it.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 1871

At least you aren't running Vista!

Thread Information