Liked: 95

Default Head gasket cleanup

I had a blown head gasket and water got in the oil. Gasket issue is repaired. Oil tank drained. The dry sump has no drain plug and I can’t get the pipe out of the pan with the engine installed. I used an extraction thingy and sucked out all I could through the tube. I took the valve cover off and wiped out the head as best I could. I got some cheap oReilly oil knowing it was only to clean things out and drain again. Warmed it up and the oil is pretty milky still. How many oil changes do you think it’s going to take to clean it out?

Liked: 27

A small amount of water in the oil will make it milky. You’ll probably have to do 2-3 oil changes before it will be all gone. Using the cheap oil is a good idea. Just keep changing it, and the filter. You’ll know when the moisture is all gone from the oil.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3279

And of course, run the engine for a few minutes between each change to circulate it and get as much of the contaminated oil out of the oil circuit as possible.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 25

Default Head gasket cleanup

You didn’t mention which engine, but I would agree with 2 or 3 oil changes and warm up after each. No real need to have absolutely perfectly clear oil. After you see mostly clear oil a refill with your normal race oil and a short track session with average heat will cause the remaining water in the oil literally boil out. Not saying you should run a race but a test session or two should do the trick.

Best
    Tom

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

You could also add some alcohol to the oil. It will emulsify the water and remove it faster.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    You could also add some alcohol to the oil. It will emulsify the water and remove it faster.
    Like rubbing alcohol?

Liked: 597

perhaps a dumb suggestion.........you're starting the car with the dirty oil in it to circulate and then drain.......only at an idle RPM but perhaps on the second or third batch of oil you're going drain and pitch.......why not let the engine get hot while the oil filler cap is off......hot enough to boil off the last bit of water ??

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 597

A few minutes ago I was up at the Auto Parts Store and talked with the older fellow that's been there for years (so I guess he knows a little) about after the 3rd oil dump letting it run at idle, get hot, boil off some water....he thought it sounded good.

That way I won't be solely to blame !!

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    A few minutes ago I was up at the Auto Parts Store and talked with the older fellow that's been there for years (so I guess he knows a little) about after the 3rd oil dump letting it run at idle, get hot, boil off some water....he thought it sounded good.

Because taking automotive advice from a parts counter guy is a good idea?

lol !
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by Lastminuteracin View Post
    Like rubbing alcohol?
    IIRC, some rubbing alcohol contains water. It would have to be 100% pure alcohol to work.
    Dave Weitzenhof

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Yes it does. Lots of it

It contains between 68% and 72% alcohol by volume, and the rest contains water, color additives, oils, and denaturants.Mar 28, 2022

17. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Never knew that.

I had an event where my Lola’s xmsn vent line was quite deep in the catch bottle. The usual water level normalization occurred, and after the session, there was a siphoning effect of water back into the gearbox.

I called a very close and personal friend in Craig Taylor (when he still owned TRE), and he reported to change oil, run a session, change oil again. Done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    Last edited by Rick Iverson; 03.10.24 at 6:43 PM.
    V/r

Iverson

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    Yes it does. Lots of it

It contains between 68% and 72% alcohol by volume, and the rest contains water, color additives, oils, and denaturants.Mar 28, 2022
    Take a cup of water and a cup of 100% alcohol and mix them together. You don't end up with two cups of liquid.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post

LOL, I’m a 40 year Nissan parts guy.

21. The following 2 users liked this post:

So not only the head gasket was cooked, the car has (had now) an inline water to oil heat exchanger. When I pressure checked the cooling system I removed one of the oil lines. Guess what? It started pushing the milky oil out. Now it’s an all out change. Out with the exchanger, in with a setrab cooler. Almost 2 years into building this Anson. It’s always 3 steps forward, 2 steps back.

Thread Information