Liked: 322

Default Mike Gilbert RIP

I just found out a long time racer from the Pacific Northwest has passed away. Mike was a true character and always had interesting memories to share. I hadn’t seen him at the track for several seasons and hoped he was ok. Many of the old timers here may know him or raced against him in his glory years.

I am copying a portion of an email that was sent to us written by Andy Collin (many know him as Armadillo Andy), I know he won’t mind my forwarding of this

RIP Mike
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________

Like so many, I was shocked and saddened to learn of the passing of Mike Gilbert late last week. Now most of you loyal readers didn't know Mike or know anything about him. I'll confess that I never knew that much about Mike, he was just a racing friend. Mike was a two time SCCA National Champion in Formula Continental and Formula Ford. That is an especially big deal as to win you had to go to Road Atlanta to the Runoffs (aka the SCCA National Championship road races).

Locally Mike raced a Formula Ford and managed to encourage his daughter Cheryl Gilbert to do the same. Welp actually Cheryl races a Formula Vee and occasionally Mike's Ford when he let her. Many of y'all know Cheryl as she was very active in IRDC and Conference for years and now lives in Las Vegas. Last year she came up and raced one event and all enjoyed seeing her. Just today I got a call from Dennis Petersto chat about Mike. Dennis who some of you long time readers know was a steward for Conference, raced seriously and was a lead driving instructor at the ProFormance Racing School. Dennis and Mike were close friends and Dennis told me that Mike was a top baseball infielder long ago who almost made the majors. Who knew?

Mike was a driving instructor at the ProFormance Racing School and a few years ago moved out to Shelton to enjoy a quieter life.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 113

Default Rip

Thank you for posting this John. I raced against Mike many times always fast and safe. His style and class will always remembered.

RIP Mike

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1108

Sad to read this… I witnessed both his Runoffs wins in my teens, and can still picture his horn-rimmed glasses.

For the record, and without judgment, he never won a national championship in FF. Both were in Formula C, not yet known as “Formula Continental.” The first title was in a Lotus 41, the second in a GRD. While I hesitate posting this without looking, I’m confident the wins came in 1973 and 1976.

In the burgeoning age of AI, I find it even more important to state facts for accurate records, and especially with Club racers with little web presence.

Rev in Peace, Mike, and Thanks for the memories.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 702

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    Both were in Formula C, not yet known as “Formula Continental.” The first title was in a Lotus 41, the second in a GRD. While I hesitate posting this without looking, I’m confident the wins came in 1973 and 1976.
    As usual, you are correct.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 139

Default photos

Mike with Lotus FC
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. The following 3 users liked this post:

that little car was REALLY loud when passing us FF drivers on the straights. Our cars tended to be quicker in the corners though (well maybe not mine at that time!)

Quote Originally Posted by J Leonard View Post
    Mike with Lotus FC
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M

12. The following members LIKED this post:

correct, I didn’t want to correct Andy’s email after the fact. He drove a really nice Lotus 41 classified as “FC” the old MAE 1100cc screamers… I suspect he could have driven just about anything and been a contender..

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    Sad to read this… I witnessed both his Runoffs wins in my teens, and can still picture his horn-rimmed glasses.

For the record, and without judgment, he never won a national championship in FF. Both were in Formula C, not yet known as “Formula Continental.” The first title was in a Lotus 41, the second in a GRD. While I hesitate posting this without looking, I’m confident the wins came in 1973 and 1976.

In the burgeoning age of AI, I find it even more important to state facts for accurate records, and especially with Club racers with little web presence.

Rev in Peace, Mike, and Thanks for the memories.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    As usual, you are correct.
    Thank You for that, Mike, but know it’s not habitual.

I love this stuff, greatest part of my youth — meaning, I also very much appreciate John letting us all know!

16. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Liked: 17

I was new to FC and every time I raced against Mike he was there with a suggestion on setup or some such. It was my first trip to Road Atlanta in '74. Just before our first practice he came over and told me he would wait for me and lead me around for a few laps. The lessons I learned would have taken me many, many laps to learn on my own. That is if I could have even done it. A true gentleman in every respect.
    GaryJ

18. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Gary, I sent you a PM.

Liked: 4

Mike was my local hero as I got into road racing. I had a Formula C Lotus 22 with the MAE engine. It was a high winder, but relatively fragile. We always wanted the Cosworth BDJ. Mike was a class act and a great driver.

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 0

Rip

Thread Information