Liked: 235

Default Digital Caliper Recommendations Sought

Hi everyone. I've been using a $30 digital caliper (CE 150 mm) for years and for almost that long I've been telling myself I ought to break down and get a much more accurate piece. But there is a wide variety to choose from even in the over-$100 category and so many online recommendations (often paid for by manufacturers) that it's difficult to make a decision.

I'm budgeting up to $200. Would really appreciate the community's recommendations.
    Last edited by Jim Garry; 03.05.24 at 2:39 PM.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

Default Mitutoyo

Many options well within your budget. If you intend on doing lathe/millwork, make sure you plump for the liquid-proof versions.

Have had mine for well over a decade, use it multiple times a week. Lovely bit of kit

best,
    bt

Contributing Member
    Liked: 89

Mitutoyo seems to be the industry standard these days, which unfortunately has drawn the attention of fake caliper manufacturing companies. Do yourself a favor and search youtube for videos on how to spot the fakes. fleabay is loaded with them, like for example a 12" digital mitutoyo caliper for under 100 bucks! Those are 500 from vendors like grainger or others!

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 278

Mititoyo is great. I have also been pretty happy with my Fowler caliper as well

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Mititoyo is the best dollar / value there is

Liked: 302

"...and get a much more accurate piece."

How accurate is what you have and how accurate are the expensive ones? I use them for run of the mill stuff but use my old calipers for anything precise.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

Or is it worth getting a bunch of cheap ones to have everywhere and then a good caliper for when you need good measurements. I've found for a lot of things, the cheap ones are good enough and you're not worried about them.

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thanks everyone. Seems like there's an obvious choice. And good thoughts on using the old ones for jobs that don't need the accuracy.
    Jim

Liked: 30

Another vote for Mitutoyo. I have 4 of their digital calipers for well over 20 years (one is closer to 40 years old) when Mitutoyo Japan first introduced digital equipment and have never had a failure yet.

I had an uncle that worked out of an office in our family business who distributed and sold high end Japanese measuring equipment so there was always very high end measuring tools around our family manufacturing business, so I naturally aquired a lot of these tools to use in m own race and fabrication use since the early 80's.

I've bought various cheaper calipers meant for brake rotors and large objects that plain and simply suck compared to Mitutoyo.

buy once, cry once.

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 131

I have one $150 Mitutoyo, and a bunch of $20 ones. I like amazon brand Neiko. Generally they agree pretty close, but it is nice to have one that you know for sure is accurate.

If you can only get one, get the Mitutoyo for sure.

Liked: 799

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garry View Post
    Hi everyone. I've been using a $30 digital caliper (CE 150 mm) for years and for almost that long I've been telling myself I ought to break down and get a much more accurate piece.
    I'm a big supporter of quality tools when they are required.
    May I ask what aspect of FFord (based on your avatar) requires 'better' accuracy than you believe you're getting? (Are you engine building for instance?) As someone asked above, curious what error you think you have with current gauge?
    Cheers
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

There's difficulty with repeatability of measurements. Maybe the caliper has simply been around long enough that it's no longer working as designed and a new, similar one would work fine.

But I decided to look for a more accurate piece and asked the community for advice.
    Jim

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

If repeatability is an issue, then the rack or the drive gear might be worn on a mechanical device, the slider could be dirty on a digital one. Might try some contact cleaner, see if it improves. Otherwise, I'd trust a caliper to a thousandth or two, and beyond that I think you need to use a micrometer.

19. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thanks Rick
    Jim

Contributing Member
    Liked: 89

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    I'm a big supporter of quality tools when they are required.
    May I ask what aspect of FFord (based on your avatar) requires 'better' accuracy than you believe you're getting? (Are you engine building for instance?) As someone asked above, curious what error you think you have with current gauge?
    Cheers
    If you're building an engine, you're most likely not using calipers, you're using micrometers. At least, for sizing bearings, pistons, and cylinder bores.

Liked: 120

Default Caliper

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    If repeatability is an issue, then the rack or the drive gear might be worn on a mechanical device, the slider could be dirty on a digital one. Might try some contact cleaner, see if it improves. Otherwise, I'd trust a caliper to a thousandth or two, and beyond that I think you need to use a micrometer.

Well described Rick. Measuring is all about technique and repeatability. Emery cloth was invented for good reason.

Liked: 301

Another vote here for Mitutoyo.
    Over 35 years as a machinist, about 90% of my tools are Mitutoyo and my 0-6" dial calipers are the only ones I've had to replace (2 so far) due wear on the anvil tips (1) and dropping on a concrete floor (1).
    Glenn

Thread Information