Thread: CV Gasket

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Default CV Gasket

Gents:

There is a thin metal gasket positioned on either the outboard (OB) or inboard (IB) face of my rear RF-95 CV.

Firstly, is it OB or IB. Secondly, does size matter? Is this a spacer of specific dimension?
    V/r

Iverson

Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

Default Well......

I guess it depends. Both my friend Steve (RF91) and me (RF90) have had a weird and similar experience when not running the spacer. Both times, where the affected CV was in extreme droop (so in my case exiting 5B at Mosport, can't recall where it happened to Steve) we managed to spit the CV balls out of the joint and lose drive. What a racket! Each of us assumed we had broken a cage, but upon inspection everything was fine. Put the CVs back together and went racing.

Upon unusually close inspection (for me) I noticed that a few of my CVs (multiple cars) have a recess on the inner race where it looks like the snap ring was sliding in to. That is, the axle was pulling through farther than intended in droop. Couple that with an extreme high droop corner and I *think* that was the cause. Whipped up a pair of 1/8" spaces for the inboard CVs and this seemed to tackle the issue.

That's my story, and I am sticking to it.

bt

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 139

Default two things

I think you are referring to two different things. First one sounds like a version of a CV saver, Double boot. Second sounds like a spacer to get CV centered getting proper axle length. Spacers contribute to loosening or broken bolts.

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Good stuff here

Quote Originally Posted by J Leonard View Post
    I think you are referring to two different things. First one sounds like a version of a CV saver, Double boot. Second sounds like a spacer to get CV centered getting proper axle length. Spacers contribute to loosening or broken bolts.
    V/r

Iverson

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

On my 94 I do not run the gaskets. The inners are pretty much OK with it, but the outers always throw grease.

Thread Information