Liked: 27

Default PFM Engine and Gearbox Servicing Questions

This is the first time changing the engine oil and gearbox oil. I’ve read the Star Race Cars manual but it’s confusing.

I suctioned out 4 quarts of engine oil from the pedestal with the two rubber lines going to it. Prior to suctioning I had 6” of oil in it.
    I replaced the oil and it’s at 6 1/2 “ from the bottom of the case. I used a fiberglass rod and I know I hit the bottom. Is this correct?
    Am I only pulling out about half of the engine oil capacity? Is that why it needs to be changed every 2 hours of runtime?

Now for the gearbox. Am I correct that there is no way to check the oil level in the gearbox? I just loosen the rear cover and let it drain, then put 2 1/2 qts.of 75w-90 into the 1 1/16” plug on top of the gearbox?

Really hoping you guys can advise me.

Thanks.

Liked: 7

Assuming you have the same oil line routing and oil filter setup (in the left side pod) as I do, a fair amount of oil wil be trapped in the cooler, lines, and filter since the return line runs uphill to the sump. I swear my inline oil filter must hold 42 quarts of oil and it all ends up in the sidepod when I change the filter - it makes a mess. One tip - get some AN fitting plastic plugs and caps to plug/cap the lines while while you're changing the filter, etc. It'll make less of a mess. Then I just refill to the correct amount knowing I didn't get every drop out. As for the gearbox, I use the fill plug near the wing attach point to check the level (the Hewland manual indicates the correct level by measurement), extract the oil, and refill it. I was never much of an 'oil extraction' fan (at least on cars that have a drain plug), but it's the way to do it on these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by CSasfai View Post
    Assuming you have the same oil line routing and oil filter setup (in the left side pod) as I do, a fair amount of oil wil be trapped in the cooler, lines, and filter since the return line runs uphill to the sump. I swear my inline oil filter must hold 42 quarts of oil and it all ends up in the sidepod when I change the filter - it makes a mess. One tip - get some AN fitting plastic plugs and caps to plug/cap the lines while while you're changing the filter, etc. It'll make less of a mess. Then I just refill to the correct amount knowing I didn't get every drop out. As for the gearbox, I use the fill plug near the wing attach point to check the level (the Hewland manual indicates the correct level by measurement), extract the oil, and refill it. I was never much of an 'oil extraction' fan (at least on cars that have a drain plug), but it's the way to do it on these cars.
    Thanks for your response.

I have a small spin on type oil filter on top of a pedestal on top of the engine, but it sounds like I’ve done everything right so far.

Where did you get the Hewland manual? I looked in Star Race Cars resources and didn’t see in the manuals there, how to check the gearbox oil level.

Just search "Hewland FTR manual" on the Internet and it'll probably give you several places that it's posted.

I stand corrected. The fill measurement is in the Star Race Cars technical data:

Gearbox Oil
    To measure the gearbox oil simply place a tape measure down the fill port 7.0inchs. Oil should start at 6.5 inches so you should show ½ inch of oil. Half an inch in either direction is OK.
    Use Redline 75 / 90. It will be about 2 – 2.5 bottles.

Ok thanks, I saw that. It’s eerily similar to checking the engine oil. I thought they had their wires crossed.

Yes it is. I got two aluminum rods (one for oil and one for gearbox) cut to a good length and marked with the "maximum' and 'minimum' levels, respectively. The gearbox rod is only about 12 inches long and the trick is that the measurement is 6.5 inches down from the TOP, so you need a stopper of some sort that only allows the rod to go down 7 inches into the gearbox.

Quote Originally Posted by CSasfai View Post
    Yes it is. I got two aluminum rods (one for oil and one for gearbox) cut to a good length and marked with the "maximum' and 'minimum' levels, respectively. The gearbox rod is only about 12 inches long and the trick is that the measurement is 6.5 inches down from the TOP, so you need a stopper of some sort that only allows the rod to go down 7 inches into the gearbox.
    That’s a good idea, I’ll have to make up something like that. I had a hard time getting the tape measure down in the fill hole 7”. I thought it might catch on something coming out and snap off.

The gearbox oil looks and smells like Swepco. Are guys using that oil?

Thanks so much for all your help.

Liked: 278

On the engine oil, the distance from the top of the oil tower to the proper oil level depends on if you have an early or late oil tower. They are different heights. I would have to go digging thru my notes to find the numbers. For the gearbox just drai and fill it with the correct amount. If it's not leaking there is zero reason to check the level. If it is leaking, fix the leak

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Michael View Post
    On the engine oil, the distance from the top of the oil tower to the proper oil level depends on if you have an early or late oil tower. They are different heights. I would have to go digging thru my notes to find the numbers. For the gearbox just drai and fill it with the correct amount. If it's not leaking there is zero reason to check the level. If it is leaking, fix the leak
    To drain the gearbox, I remove the rear cover, correct? Is there a gasket that will need replacing after I pull the cover off?

Liked: 278

Correct, just loosen the rear cover. No gasket, there is an o-ring type seal

Ok thanks!

Ok thanks!

Thread Information