Contributing Member Gary Godula's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Default Which Electronic Ignition Trigger System for my Kent?

Ok, is there a reliable electronic ignition trigger system for the Kent engine out there? My Ivey-installed Pertonix system failed on its 3rd weekend, and the Crane/FAST XR700 lasted most of a season before dying. Both were using their recommended coils.

Have either of these companies corrected their recent reliability issues, or is there another system that is being favored for reliability?
    I cannot keep losing race sessions and/or weekends due to failed ignition systems. Currently running points with no issues, but we know that parts for those are running thin. Suggestions?
    Gary Godula
    '88 Reynard FF88
    SCCA Club Racing / Solo #57 FF/CM

Liked: 182

I am curious about the Uk systems. Anyone have any feedback?

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Default I hoard

Personally, I hoard points and condensers for whatever distributor I'm running.
    With electronic pickups you're guaranteed to lose at least one session a year when it dies on pre-grid. I learnt that in the 80's.

Steve

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 313

Quote Originally Posted by jrh3 View Post
    I am curious about the Uk systems. Anyone have any feedback?
    Lumenition was always the go-to setup. Still available today and widely used.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 89

I don't know if there is a kent application, but I used a jacobs optical system on my datsun 1200 street car many years ago. It worked well I only changed it back to points because the dwell angle was a little different and not adjustable. Probably not a real problem but I didn't know any better back then!

Liked: 25

Default Kent ignition

+1 on the lumintion system. I have run that set up on my twin cam for the past 8 years with zero issues. Also have a123 ignition on another race car that has been very reliable. Some clubs may not allow it but RMVR has adopted it as being legal for the past few years. What’s nice about it is the system allows the engine to start at 0 degrees of advance for starting purposes. The motor fires almost instantly. Also the advance curve is adjustable either via blue tooth (via your smart phone) or laptop. Also cheaper than the lumintion option.

best
    Tom

9. The following 3 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Check Pertronix Drive Gear

I would also suggest that you inspect the drive gear on your Pertronix as I obtained a backup Pertronix distributor and the hole in the gear was drilled too large allowing up and down/side to side movement. This would lead to the hole elongating and worse case shearing of the pin, the pin backing out or the hole elongating and impacting timing, etc.. On a FB Formula Ford forum one competitor said he lost an engine due to the pin backing out or shearing and the gear making it's way through the engine trashing everything. I sent an email to Pertronix making them aware I will update once I receive a response.

Liked: 58

Default 123Ignition for Kent?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Godula View Post
    Ok, is there a reliable electronic ignition trigger system for the Kent engine out there? My Ivey-installed Pertonix system failed on its 3rd weekend, and the Crane/FAST XR700 lasted most of a season before dying. Both were using their recommended coils.

Have either of these companies corrected their recent reliability issues, or is there another system that is being favored for reliability?
    I cannot keep losing race sessions and/or weekends due to failed ignition systems. Currently running points with no issues, but we know that parts for those are running thin. Suggestions?
    Several years ago, Paul Hasselgren recommended a 123Ignition distributor to me to replace Lucas electronic ignition/distributor on my 1300 cc BDH. Although I have limited hours of use in vintage racing, so far no problems & it looks extremely well made.

Not sure if it's legal for SCCA FF use, since the advance curve is Bluetooth-programmable (not mechanical advance). URLs below to a USA source for 123Ignition --

https://123ignitionusa.com/bt-tune-f...lly-aspirated/
    https://123ignitionusa.com/kent-engine-naturally-aspirated-bluetooth-programmable-w-angled-cap/

The distributors also allow setting a (soft) rev limit via BT (up to 7900 rpm). For my needed higher rev limit, I have been using a PerTronix 600 Digital Rev Limiter (up to 9900 rpm).

Lee

12. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thread Information