Liked: 0

Default Lodging at Pittsburg Int'nl Race Complex

Does anyone have any recommendations for lodging near Pittsburg International Race Complex? I'm planning on the SVRA race there in June and would like to get an early start on reservations. It's a long way from Boise, ID. Thanks

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 58

Default hotels

Quote Originally Posted by Sherm Johnston View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for lodging near Pittsburg International Race Complex? I'm planning on the SVRA race there in June and would like to get an early start on reservations. It's a long way from Boise, ID. Thanks
    Stay in Cranberry Twps. PA it is about 20-30 minutes down the turnpike at the next exit and has all the hotels and restaurants and fast foods you can want. i live there

Thanks David!

Liked: 799

We usually stay at the Ramada, its a lot closer to the track, less expensive than Cranberry, but the food choice nearby is almost non-existent.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Liked: 114

Default Pitt

Ramada is fine. Not 5 star, but clean and close. Great Italian restaurant just down the road.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 13

We used the Microtel in Beaver Falls. Nothing special but entirely adequate. About twenty minutes from the track and a good Italian restaurant across the street.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3279

Default Ramada: ~2 miles from the track

Quote Originally Posted by grapefarmeral View Post
    Ramada is fine. Not 5 star, but clean and close. Great Italian restaurant just down the road.
    That's where we stay. Closeness (time saving) makes up for any minor issues with the motel.

One strange thing - as one goes up the hill on Eastwood Dr. from Rt 18, there has never been any signage to indicate the somewhat obscure motel driveway. It's, IIRC, the first driveway on the left.
    Last edited by DaveW; 02.19.24 at 1:01 PM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 227

I stay in Monaca off of I-376. A little further but several hotel choices and the area has all mod cons.

Thank you all. I was looking at the Ramada but they had some bad reviews. Having input from racers is great! I also looked south at Monaca but seems a bit far not knowing about traffic and there are the toll roads. Same for Cranberry Twp.

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by Sherm Johnston View Post
    Thank you all. I was looking at the Ramada but they had some bad reviews. Having input from racers is great! I also looked south at Monaca but seems a bit far not knowing about traffic and there are the toll roads. Same for Cranberry Twp.
    We've been staying at the Ramada for the last 6 or 7 years, sometimes twice a year for the FRP races at PIRC. Early on, and during COVID, things were not great, but they've definitely been improving over the last several years or so. And every time we go there, there has been more renovation.

The Italian restaurant is good and not expensive, and if we're in a hurry, there is a Subway between the track and the motel.

Driving an extra hour a day to go to Monaca or Cranberry is a real PITA for a team like ours that is often me, my wife, and one volunteer crew. And since we've been running with SVRA, TransAm, etc., we often have 8 AM sessions and even staying that close, it means getting up at 5:30 AM so we can eat and my wife can get ready. I need my sleep to function properly.
    Dave Weitzenhof

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 296

It's like 25 minutes, at most, to Cranberry. I live in Pittsburgh city proper and it takes me about 35/40 minutes to get home. That said, outside of having chain restaurants, Cranberry sucks. It's generally a pain in the ass. Dave has been there, obviously. Monaca is worse, but I know some like to go there.

As racers we never enjoy any sight seeing, but a stay in Pittsburgh is worth it maybe on Sunday or before track time. Pittsburgh is quite beautiful, which is contrary to many people's understanding of the place. Lots of great food and it is dirt cheap. It not a sooty smoke covered steel town, it's like a giant park in the summer. In fact it has one of the highest urban tree covers of any city in the US. You can see a ballgame for $25 because the Pirates suck, but the stadium is truly gorgeous and the way it works with the view of the CBD is just crazy nice.

Also, I often camp when I go to Pitt Race. Even with the short drive for me, it's a good place to camp. Nice facilities and the weather is always a joy, at least in its lack of predictability.

Get some D&G pizza in Beaver. It's a unique style and a unique place, don't go in with any expectations. They are going to top your pizza once it comes out of the oven. Heaps of cold cheese and precooked meats. It's great, but it is unique. Sit on the curb and enjoy. Get to Giuseppe's. It's not the best or the worst, but as said it is affordable and you're sure to meet a lot of racing folks there. It's kind of the track joint. The gas station Al's Corner has surprisingly good food at lunch and breakfast. They actually cook it with a real live people. Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe is a bit down the road, but it's an old school sort of fast food hot dog shop. They make burgers too. It's greasy but it's amazing. Way above any of a true fast food joint, but probably cheaper. It's legit.

Anyways, this is what living at a race track for 6 months gets you.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

Liked: 227

Also 25 min / 18 miles to Monaca. Never any traffic but there are tolls.

Liked: 270

I also stayed in Monaca last time I was there - nice clean hotels, decent food options, and a great beer store around the corner... not too bad a drive IMO.

Stayed at the Ramada once in the depths of Covid days, 2021, it wasn't the worst, but not much of anything nearby...

+1 for a jaunt to Beaver for dinner, some great little places there... EDIT - I was actually thinking of Beaver Falls, but yeah... Shop Local!!
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Thread Information