Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Default low cost, homemade, wireless IR tire sensor

Well, If you are so inclined, here's a tidbit that showed up in Samir Abid's weekly e-mail:

https://github.com/MagnusThome/RejsaRubberTrac

2. The following 10 users liked this post:

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    Well, If you are so inclined, here's a tidbit that showed up in Samir Abid's weekly e-mail:

https://github.com/MagnusThome/RejsaRubberTrac
    Damn I love that guy. This looks pretty cool.

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Wowza
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 597

hand held point and shoot IR / temp sensor at Amazon....about $18

Liked: 597

hand held point and shoot IR / temp sensor at Amazon....about $18. I don't need to know the exact temp as far as I'm concerned - so I don't bother with a stick-probe-in type....I need to know the temp spread across the tire face

Liked: 183

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    hand held point and shoot IR / temp sensor at Amazon....about $18. I don't need to know the exact temp as far as I'm concerned - so I don't bother with a stick-probe-in type....I need to know the temp spread across the tire face
    that's all good in the pits, but I doubt you would be holding that point and shoot IR camera going through the corkscrew at laguna sec!

Having that real time plot in your data plots is really handy

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

Having the real time data is illuminating. I've had it on my tin top for about 10 years and you learn a ton really quick. Analog sensors are down to $100ish each and the CAN based 16 channel are about $350 each. The big deal on these is the temp compensation (target, internal, environment) as you can get very different data based on those temps. Having tested a number of different units, you could be led astray with bad data depending on which you get.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by romoman View Post
    Having the real time data is illuminating. I've had it on my tin top for about 10 years and you learn a ton really quick. Analog sensors are down to $100ish each and the CAN based 16 channel are about $350 each. The big deal on these is the temp compensation (target, internal, environment) as you can get very different data based on those temps. Having tested a number of different units, you could be led astray with bad data depending on which you get.
    One could use it for brake rotor temps with the right emissivity factor for cast iron. Caliper temps could be determined with 100ohm RTDs attached to a caliper surface.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    One could use it for brake rotor temps with the right emissivity factor for cast iron. Caliper temps could be determined with 100ohm RTDs attached to a caliper surface.
    There are analog IR brake temps that run about $180 and CAN is about $350. I've done K type thermocouples inside the caliper with good results. I have RTD but haven't mounted them on the calipers yet. There are some PT100 and PT1000 that are designed around calipers as well. I've found brake data to be very valuable.

This webinar I did with AiM covers tire temps and has pressures in there. If you download the data from the description, it has tire temp, tire pressure, brake temp, and more in it.

https://youtu.be/TPU6nOnlOK0?si=U3Ngb9HlGRHsnQVq

Emissivity is a big deal - and why a lot of non-contact thermometers don't work particularly well. Getting quantitative data out of an IR sensor can be tricky.

I didn't delve far enough into the article to see if Thome did a calibration.

I'd think for our purposes, one could take a visual sensor and in real time after a run, stab a pyrometer into the rubber at a hot spot and measure that temp. Maybe do it in a cold spot, using the live video to guide you. Now you have two points across a spectrum, and while it might not be perfect, it might be close enough.

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    Emissivity is a big deal - and why a lot of non-contact thermometers don't work particularly well. Getting quantitative data out of an IR sensor can be tricky.

I didn't delve far enough into the article to see if Thome did a calibration.

I'd think for our purposes, one could take a visual sensor and in real time after a run, stab a pyrometer into the rubber at a hot spot and measure that temp. Maybe do it in a cold spot, using the live video to guide you. Now you have two points across a spectrum, and while it might not be perfect, it might be close enough.
    I would argue no. The emissivity isn't that hard to figure out and is well published if you really look. It's also available in the specs for other sensors if you dig far enough. The calibration for temp offsets and allowances is the trick. The readings will change based on the temp of the electronics and the ambient around them. If you heat up a sensor, you can see the drift real time while it's sitting on your desk.

Quote Originally Posted by romoman View Post
    I would argue no. The emissivity isn't that hard to figure out and is well published if you really look. It's also available in the specs for other sensors if you dig far enough. The calibration for temp offsets and allowances is the trick. The readings will change based on the temp of the electronics and the ambient around them. If you heat up a sensor, you can see the drift real time while it's sitting on your desk.
    Oh yeah, but what I was referring to was more how people pull a cheap laser temp sensor off the shelf at Wal Mart and don't consider (or even realize) that the readings they get depend very much on the material being tested.

If you are designing to read the temp of a specific item, then yeah, you can optimize for that easily.

I would hope now that sensors have a simple temp compensator built in. Back in the day we had to put the things in a dewar, even the uncooled ones, to keep them stable (if you were going for a quantitative measurement).

Thread Information