Thread: studs

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Default studs

what are the thread sizes and length of the studs in the back of the pinto block? The ones that go into the bellhousing at the top?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 313

Thread is M10x1.5. If they're studs rather than bolts, the length will depend on what adapter or housing is going onto them.

Interesting. I thought they were metric but the other two blocks I have don't have them. and Burton power has studs for the Duratec - but they are 3/8!

I do recall in the past not being able to find them easily, Mc Master doesn't carry them

Thanks!

Liked: 182

Ebay

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    Interesting. I thought they were metric but the other two blocks I have don't have them. and Burton power has studs for the Duratec - but they are 3/8!

I do recall in the past not being able to find them easily, Mc Master doesn't carry them

Thanks!
    Other than a few places (oil pressure sensor port, etc) all Pinto bolts are metric. The upper ones are showing as threaded to. 19mm deep.

The Pinto in my RF86 uses long studs at the top which are plain, just with machined threads, at both ends. Depending on the adapter, could you use bolts in place of studs? They may be easier to find in a suitable length.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

This is what I used. I think the block was tapped 3/8 with inserts..

https://www.mcmaster.com/90281A640/

Liked: 94

If they are metric belmetric.com is the place to go.

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by tlracer View Post
    Other than a few places (oil pressure sensor port, etc) all Pinto bolts are metric. The upper ones are showing as threaded to. 19mm deep.

The Pinto in my RF86 uses long studs at the top which are plain, just with machined threads, at both ends. Depending on the adapter, could you use bolts in place of studs? They may be easier to find in a suitable length.
    I use metric Allen screws there on my Zetec.
    Dave Weitzenhof

on the 90-96 VDs the studs come out into a small pocket in the bellhousing, so no room for bolts. I even went to ARP 12-pt nuts so I could get more of a crack at them with a wrench. They are a PITA to get out.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    on the 90-96 VDs the studs come out into a small pocket in the bellhousing, so no room for bolts. I even went to ARP 12-pt nuts so I could get more of a crack at them with a wrench. They are a PITA to get out.
    Primus:

https://www.primusracingparts.com/en...96_p_4704.html

So they're 4" long, threaded as below:

From the picture it looks like one end is M10 x 1.5 (engine) with around 22mm (7/8") of thread, which makes sense as the engine is threaded to 19mm deep

The other looks to be a finer pitch, possibly M10 x 1.25 with around 25mm (1") of thread. That leaves roughly 2" unthreaded, where it goes through the bellhousing.

Does that sound about right?
    Last edited by tlracer; 02.10.24 at 4:37 AM. Reason: added detail

never thought to look at Primus. I'd been looking for the coarse/fine combo but they are very limited in size. Mis has the same threads on each end because they are 1/10th the cost!

Thanks all!

That belmetric site is great.

Contributing Member

Same threads both ends shouldn't be a problem.

Alternatively...buy a couple of suitable length HT bolts, remove the head, then thread to suit at that end.

Thread Information