Liked: 7

Default 1990 Tsunami for Sale in Vancouver ($6,500 USD)

1990 Tsunami Formula Vee for sale in Vancouver, BC

Engine built by Verisons and refreshed by Scott Arthur (Mission, BC) - 2 weekends since refresh. Last run October 2022 and starts right up. Bee Hive Valve Springs. Can send video of a cold start.

Spare engine also available: Last run 2022. Only used as a spare for 2 weekends since last time it was gone over - also by Scott Arthur in Winter 2021/2022. Can sell separately or include in the sale at a discounted price if interested.

Nose cone was repaired and is off centre - needs some adjustment. Paint is a 5/10. Could just be replaced.

Fuel cell new from 2021
    Belts good to 2026
    Porterfield Brakes.
    Seat fitted to a driver 5'10 165 lbs.
    All the spares in the pics included.
    Full set of Hoosier rain tires with only 5 heat cycles (new in Spring 2022).
    Hoosier slicks with 7 Heat cycles from 2022 also included.
    comes with 14 spare rims.
    All log books in hand.
    Custom built car lift also included - works perfectly. Needs paint.

Car can be delivered into the US at a pre-agreed upon additional cost. Happy to assist with importation into the USA - But the importation must be done by the US Buyer (Because US Customs requires the importer (buyer) to file the documentation ).

Asking $6500 USD
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PeterVee; 02.05.24 at 12:06 AM.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 33

Wow, very nice Vee. If I was in the market, I'd have to look hard at this, IF I fit. Looks very similar to a Caracal D.

I could be wrong here, but when I was looking for a car I looked into the import regs from Canada to US(was looking at a BRD in Saskatchewan). That stuff was all really intended for highway cars. The hoops you need to jump through to import and prove that the car is NOT for highway use are not fun. First of all, the logbook number is NOT a VIN as far as the US government looks at it.

There are ways around this to make it a simple drop-off exchange. Say maybe you are attending a US race, then go home with an empty trailer. Easy-peasy for both parties.

Anyway, good luck with the sale. It looks like somebody will get a really nice Vee.

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 231

Quote Originally Posted by DannyPip View Post
    I could be wrong here, but when I was looking for a car I looked into the import regs from Canada to US(was looking at a BRD in Saskatchewan). That stuff was all really intended for highway cars. The hoops you need to jump through to import and prove that the car is NOT for highway use are not fun. First of all, the logbook number is NOT a VIN as far as the US government looks at it.
    This is not totally accurate. We very recently exported my Stohr WF1 sports racer from Canada to the US when I sold it the full legal, and proper way (I can appreciate many Canadians are willing to "go racing in the US" and come home without a car, but I was not) and it was a relatively straightforward process. The only thing to be done in advance of hitting the border with the car (either yourself, or by transport company) is to obtain a letter from the EPA where they provide agreement that the car is not a streetcar and does not need to comply with normal EPA requirements. The way to get this letter from the EPA is to email them (there is a specific email address for racecar exemption requests) with their required information, and they will turn it around to you in 2 weeks. It is free.

It genuinely was a painless process, which is amazing considering the parties involved.

Here's an abstract from the instructions the EPA sent me. If somebody has questions, they can PM me and I'll help.

Racing Vehicle Exclusion
    Anyone may import a racing vehicle. These are vehicles which, in general, have been extensively modified for racing, and are incapable of safe and practical street or highway use because they lack features associated with safe and practical street or highway use. Such features include, but are not limited to, a reverse gear (except in the case of motorcycles), a differential, or other safety features required by state and/or Federal law. EPA does not require a Customs bond, but written EPA approval must be obtained before clearance at Customs.

Requirements:
    You must first receive EPA's approval by submitting a signed request to EPA at the address shown below. EPA approval must be granted BEFORE shipping the vehicle(s) to the U.S. Not all vehicles used in races are excluded from emissions compliance.

Determinations are based on the capability of the vehicle, not its intended use. In your request, please provide the following information (in letter form) that is ink signed by the requestor/importer:

1. Importer's name, address, email address, and daytime telephone number;
    2. Vehicle information (make, model, model year and VIN);
    3. A list of racing features (features that make the vehicle a racing vehicle);
    4. A list of features customarily associated with safe and practical street or highway use which are
    lacking (i.e. features that have been removed or have never been installed that would permit
    safe driving on streets or highways);

5. At least four photographs showing the front, rear, and each side view; and if a vehicle with an
    interior, photographs of the interior

The following information is optional. If this information is included it may help to expedite your request:
    6. The name of the sanctioning body and competition class;
    7. A schedule of racing events, including dates and locations where the vehicle will participate
    The bolded sections are the ones that make a formula car/sports racer an easy and guaranteed approval. I would not assume the same is true about a converted street car, it certainly is less guaranteed.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

6. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 7

Quote Originally Posted by DannyPip View Post
    Wow, very nice Vee. If I was in the market, I'd have to look hard at this, IF I fit. Looks very similar to a Caracal D.

There are ways around this to make it a simple drop-off exchange. Say maybe you are attending a US race, then go home with an empty trailer. Easy-peasy for both parties.

Anyway, good luck with the sale. It looks like somebody will get a really nice Vee.
    Quote Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
    This is not totally accurate. We very recently exported my Stohr WF1 sports racer from Canada to the US when I sold it the full legal, and proper way (I can appreciate many Canadians are willing to "go racing in the US" and come home without a car, but I was not) and it was a relatively straightforward process. The only thing to be done in advance of hitting the border with the car (either yourself, or by transport company) is to obtain a letter from the EPA where they provide agreement that the car is not a streetcar and does not need to comply with normal EPA requirements. The way to get this letter from the EPA is to email them (there is a specific email address for racecar exemption requests) with their required information, and they will turn it around to you in 2 weeks. It is free.

It genuinely was a painless process, which is amazing considering the parties involved.

Here's an abstract from the instructions the EPA sent me. If somebody has questions, they can PM me and I'll help.

The bolded sections are the ones that make a formula car/sports racer an easy and guaranteed approval. I would not assume the same is true about a converted street car, it certainly is less guaranteed.

-Mark

Thanks for that mark, great advice!

Thread Information