Liked: 97

Default Camera systems for formula cars

Hello everyone, I tried searching this site for discussions I have seen on this subject but I can't bring anything up.
    I currently have 4 cars in the shop so cost is a factor.
    They need racing camera systems that are reliable and simple enough for old people to operate.
    Front and rear would be best of course but the main thing is the front and reliable.
    I have tried street motorcycle systems but they are mostly junk.
    I wish this subject was included somewhere on Apex as a line item in the forums section
    so it could be a ongoing and updating discussion as these things are required equipment now.
    Thanks very much for your help,
    Skip Weld

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Here's a thread someone familiar started...
    https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...ed-for-runoffs

Several other threads here:
    https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/for...mp-Photography

I think in general it's an area you can't save money and still get good results.

3. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 1108

With endless product developments, and the rotation of members here, it seems prudent to explore what’s new.

I’d do the same thing, and actually do on other forums when appropriate. These things get outdated so quickly I find even “recent” threads to be completely useless.

I have no advice on this, but hope a lot of others do.

Good Luck, Skip.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Liked: 186

I'll be trying out a new camera next weekend. Cheap Go-Pro knock off I found on Amazon. I've been using a cheap camera for a few years and IMHO there is no reason to spend 10 times as much for a Go-Pro. I had to replace mine b/c the case is cracking and I can't find a replacement case but I can get a whole new camera for $80. I use the suction cup mount and some zip ties for insurance but have not had issues with the suction mount. Best feature of the new one I'll be using is a remote button to start/stop video - I have it velcro mounted in the car.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

Depends - are you just trying to meet requirements to have a camera or are you using it for collecting data for driving analysis?

I bought the following last year:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ra_yellow.html

and it has been working fine - might have to fabricate a mount and a tether on the camera is recommended, just in case.

I have a charging station set up in my trailer and I charge each session. 4 mini SD cards available, although if I am good with turning it OFF after a session, I can usually get one day on a card.

My friend assigned his wife (or could be any pit member) to be the "producer" so she handles the camera and he does not have to even think about it.

I do have a Cambox, in helmet cam. When it works - it is great, I have had some issues (it is the older model) and the battery seems to be thirsty. Note - not all USB changers are equal and you want to make sure you are getting the higher amp ones. I even went to an inverter so I can use the charger that came with the camera - just to be sure.

I have used older GoPros with good success but wish there was a reasonably priced, lipstick type camera with a plug in recorder. Any one found any under $500?

ChrisZ

Contributing Member Andrew Stein's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Default Let us know the results

Quote Originally Posted by s800racer View Post
    I'll be trying out a new camera next weekend. Cheap Go-Pro knock off I found on Amazon. I've been using a cheap camera for a few years and IMHO there is no reason to spend 10 times as much for a Go-Pro. I had to replace mine b/c the case is cracking and I can't find a replacement case but I can get a whole new camera for $80. I use the suction cup mount and some zip ties for insurance but have not had issues with the suction mount. Best feature of the new one I'll be using is a remote button to start/stop video - I have it velcro mounted in the car.
    Please let us all know how it works out and, if a good outcome, what the camera is that you purchased. A photo of the camera with your mount wouldn't hurt, either.

Liked: 830

I've replied to this question at least a couple times before, but just rechecked Amazon a few days ago for another friend...
    I use a Drift Innovation Ghost-X. It was $99 on Amazon for a couple years, but apparently is now no longer available. The closest I found to it are ...
    www.amazon.com
    Amazon.com : Drift Ghost 4K+ Motorcycle Action Camera Including External Microphone - DVR Mode - Clone Mode - Video Tagging - WiFi : Electronics
    Amazon.com : Drift Ghost 4K+ Motorcycle Action Camera Including External Microphone - DVR Mode - Clone Mode - Video Tagging - WiFi : Electronics

? https://www.amazon.com/Drift-Ghost-4K-Motorcycle-Microphone/dp/B08GGD625Q/ref=sr_1_3?crid=ZAYHSDX064C1&keywords=drift+ghost-x&qid=1706304806&sprefix=drift+ghost-x%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

www.amazon.com
    Amazon.com : Drift Ghost XL Pro 4K Action Camera, 300 Degree Rotating Lens, 4K UHD 30FPS 4.5H or 1080P 120FPS 7H, IPX7 Waterproof Sport Camera with EIS, Support External Mic with 32G SD Card & Accessories Kit : Electronics
    Amazon.com : Drift Ghost XL Pro 4K Action Camera, 300 Degree Rotating Lens, 4K UHD 30FPS 4.5H or 1080P 120FPS 7H, IPX7 Waterproof Sport Camera with EIS, Support External Mic with 32G SD Card & Accessories Kit : Electronics
    ? https://www.amazon.com/Drift-Waterproof-Battery-External-Accessories/dp/B0C1341K2Q/ref=sr_1_4?crid=ZAYHSDX064C1&keywords=drift+ghost-x&qid=1706304806&sprefix=drift+ghost-x%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-4&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

www.amazon.com
    Amazon.com : Drift Ghost XL Pro - 4K Action Camera, Image Stabilization, Waterproof, Rotatable Lens, Dashcam Mode, Livestreaming, Clone Mode, 7hr Battery Life at 1080P & 4.5hr Battery Life at 4K (XL Pro) : Electronics
    Amazon.com : Drift Ghost XL Pro - 4K Action Camera, Image Stabilization, Waterproof, Rotatable Lens, Dashcam Mode, Livestreaming, Clone Mode, 7hr Battery Life at 1080P & 4.5hr Battery Life at 4K (XL Pro) : Electronics
    ? https://www.amazon.com/Drift-Ghost-XL-Pro-Stabilization/dp/B09TTXFP9C/ref=sr_1_5?crid=ZAYHSDX064C1&keywords=drift+ghost-x&qid=1706304806&sprefix=drift+ghost-x%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-5&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

www.amazon.com
    ? https://www.amazon.com/sspa/click?ie=UTF8&spc=MToxMTI0ODYzNTA5NjE4MDI1OjE3MDYz MDQ4MDY6c3BfbXRmOjIwMDExODA4NTYxNTE5ODo6MDo6&url=% 2FDrift-Ghost-4K-Motorcycle-Microphone%2Fdp%2FB08GGD625Q%2Fref%3Dsr_1_7_sspa%3 Fcrid%3DZAYHSDX064C1%26keywords%3Ddrift%2Bghost-x%26qid%3D1706304806%26sprefix%3Ddrift%2Bghost-x%252Caps%252C108%26sr%3D8-7-spons%26ufe%3Dapp_do%253Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0%26sp_csd%3Dd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY%26 psc%3D1

www.amazon.com
    Amazon.com : Drift Innovation Ghost XL Action Camera – 1080 Full HD Video Camera with Rotating Lens and Dash Cam Mode – IPX7 Waterproof Camera – 9 Hour Battery Life – 12MP Still Photos : Electronics
    Amazon.com : Drift Innovation Ghost XL Action Camera – 1080 Full HD Video Camera with Rotating Lens and Dash Cam Mode – IPX7 Waterproof Camera – 9 Hour Battery Life – 12MP Still Photos : Electronics
    ? https://www.amazon.com/Drift-Ghost-XL-Waterproof-Action/dp/B07ST83GKZ/ref=sr_1_10?crid=ZAYHSDX064C1&keywords=drift+ghost-x&qid=1706304806&sprefix=drift+ghost-x%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-10&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

I believe this last one is most like mine. Mine is 1080, but also has a selectable 720 resolution which is what I use to keep file sizes down to tolerable and the video is still quite nice. Mine has been VERY reliable .. if we remember to turn the damn thing on. We forgot it a few times early on when Linda was starting it on the Grid.. She finally decided to just start it when I get in the car. We end up with a lot of DEAD TIME, but it's pretty easy to edit out if/when I process it for YT. Mine has been quite reliable and DURABLE.. I hit a tire wall at VIR once - broke the MOUNT for the camera and it flew off. At the end of the day, I managed to talk one of the workers into taking me back over the tire wall to search for it and I FOUND IT ! - about 20 yards from where I contacted the wall. Took it back to my paddock and the video was all there and perfect. I got to see the ENTIRE rest of the day (3-4 HOURS) .. to watch the sun cross the sky and could just barely catch the edge of cars going by. It's still in service today - I think that was 2019 Runoffs. I did have to acquire a new mount from ebay (the one I use is no longer in production) and I got the last TWO that ebay had available. A little bigger than some, but also tolerates RAIN quite well, but NOT 'submergable' - just 'resistant' enough.

Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

9. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Default Kenwood

I installed a Kenwood STZ-RF200WD before my last race - a dual camera motorcycle system with 'data logging'. I've got mixed feelings... but I only paid $130 on Ebay, it's down to about $150 on Amazon. It works, but the front camera has high speed 'waves' that I need to see if I can isolate. Most of the data is useless other than the speed. It's supplied software allows you to view both cameras, speed, GPS and XYZ axis - the only thing I find useful is the speed function, manually using it as a reference for noting speed at certain points around the track. What's nice is it's wired into the car electrical system so doesn't require turning on or charging. It also has a function to view either camera on your phone & even download on your phone. Individual file size can be set to a max of 3 min so you have to find the segment you are looking for, but they are all time stamped so easy to find, Editing isn't too bad with the software I use. I use Video Studio software to edit it, allows me chose where and when to display a second camera in a box. Here's a sample, I have the control unit mounted at the front edge of the seat, GPS above the dash, front camera on top of my Reynard roll hoop, rear under it, I guess I should do a clip showing it on Kenwood's software:

https://youtu.be/GHJAc-Squsw
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Default Kenwood software screen recording

Software from Kenwood is mediocre for race car use - putting the speed with the time stamp would help:

https://youtu.be/sTb5KbbDCjQ
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Liked: 97

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    I've replied to this question at least a couple times before, but just rechecked Amazon a few days ago for another friend...
    I use a Drift Innovation Ghost-X. It was $99 on Amazon for a couple years, but apparently is now no longer available. The closest I found to it are ...
    www.amazon.com

? https://www.amazon.com/Drift-Ghost-4K-Motorcycle-Microphone/dp/B08GGD625Q/ref=sr_1_3?crid=ZAYHSDX064C1&keywords=drift+ghost-x&qid=1706304806&sprefix=drift+ghost-x%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

www.amazon.com
    ? https://www.amazon.com/Drift-Waterproof-Battery-External-Accessories/dp/B0C1341K2Q/ref=sr_1_4?crid=ZAYHSDX064C1&keywords=drift+ghost-x&qid=1706304806&sprefix=drift+ghost-x%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-4&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

www.amazon.com
    ? https://www.amazon.com/Drift-Ghost-XL-Pro-Stabilization/dp/B09TTXFP9C/ref=sr_1_5?crid=ZAYHSDX064C1&keywords=drift+ghost-x&qid=1706304806&sprefix=drift+ghost-x%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-5&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

www.amazon.com
    ? https://www.amazon.com/sspa/click?ie=UTF8&spc=MToxMTI0ODYzNTA5NjE4MDI1OjE3MDYz MDQ4MDY6c3BfbXRmOjIwMDExODA4NTYxNTE5ODo6MDo6&url=% 2FDrift-Ghost-4K-Motorcycle-Microphone%2Fdp%2FB08GGD625Q%2Fref%3Dsr_1_7_sspa%3 Fcrid%3DZAYHSDX064C1%26keywords%3Ddrift%2Bghost-x%26qid%3D1706304806%26sprefix%3Ddrift%2Bghost-x%252Caps%252C108%26sr%3D8-7-spons%26ufe%3Dapp_do%253Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0%26sp_csd%3Dd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY%26 psc%3D1

www.amazon.com
    ? https://www.amazon.com/Drift-Ghost-XL-Waterproof-Action/dp/B07ST83GKZ/ref=sr_1_10?crid=ZAYHSDX064C1&keywords=drift+ghost-x&qid=1706304806&sprefix=drift+ghost-x%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-10&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

I believe this last one is most like mine. Mine is 1080, but also has a selectable 720 resolution which is what I use to keep file sizes down to tolerable and the video is still quite nice. Mine has been VERY reliable .. if we remember to turn the damn thing on. We forgot it a few times early on when Linda was starting it on the Grid.. She finally decided to just start it when I get in the car. We end up with a lot of DEAD TIME, but it's pretty easy to edit out if/when I process it for YT. Mine has been quite reliable and DURABLE.. I hit a tire wall at VIR once - broke the MOUNT for the camera and it flew off. At the end of the day, I managed to talk one of the workers into taking me back over the tire wall to search for it and I FOUND IT ! - about 20 yards from where I contacted the wall. Took it back to my paddock and the video was all there and perfect. I got to see the ENTIRE rest of the day (3-4 HOURS) .. to watch the sun cross the sky and could just barely catch the edge of cars going by. It's still in service today - I think that was 2019 Runoffs. I did have to acquire a new mount from ebay (the one I use is no longer in production) and I got the last TWO that ebay had available. A little bigger than some, but also tolerates RAIN quite well, but NOT 'submergable' - just 'resistant' enough.

Steve, FV80
    Hi Steve, Thanks very much for the reply with a lot of info. Now I am not an electrical engineer so I have silly questions.
    do you download over wifi, Bluetooth, cable, or micro SD card? Will it record for 30 minutes uninterrupted or does it make a bunch of files one has to sort through? What is the best way to mount it and do you use the universal mount or clip thing that looks like it fits a gopro mount?
    Thanks very much and we miss you skiing!
    Skip

Liked: 39

I was in similar situation with 4 Formula Cars, didn't want to spend a lot of money, wanted it to just work without pushing any buttons, have enough memory for a weekend or two, and then just overwrite the old files when memory was used.

A friend recommended the camera below, and I now have it on all my cars. So far, it has held up even surviving a rain race where we had one inch of rain in an hour.

https://www.amazon.com/Mobius-Action...2-63e904010ad0

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Weld View Post
    Hi Steve, Thanks very much for the reply with a lot of info. Now I am not an electrical engineer so I have silly questions.
    do you download over wifi, Bluetooth, cable, or micro SD card? Will it record for 30 minutes uninterrupted or does it make a bunch of files one has to sort through? What is the best way to mount it and do you use the universal mount or clip thing that looks like it fits a gopro mount?
    Thanks very much and we miss you skiing!
    Skip
    The camera has a SDHC memory card. 64GB will get me through a Majors weekend @ 720 res. If I chose 1080, it would take a 128GB card to hold it.

The camera creates a series of ~3GB files in order. Each session generally has 2 files... if we end up sitting on the grid for 20 minutes (not uncommon) it stretches to 3 files. Occasionally, on a Sunday (longer - usually) race, I'll end up with 4 files. Time stamp on each file + name numbering makes it easy to tell the order. Also.. sometimes when we have impound all, I'll FORGET to turn the camera off when I get out of the car - so it runs until I finally notice it, or the battery runs dead.. or the card fills up. The battery in mine is SUPPOSED to be good for ~5 hours. It probably would, but I generally take it out and connect to my laptop after each session to review the video.. and it gets charged any time it's connected - or can be charged by any USB outlet.

Not like a gopro. This one is 'slim' and somewhat 'aero shaped'. There are NO wires to connect or disconnect - unless you want to use a remote mic .. or even remote POWER, but I don't. I use RTV to cover the (2) mic inputs to kill the wind noise - I still get really good audio from the engine, but generally get pretty much NO 'audio' from people.. even me or Linda. It could easily pick up more audio, but I HATE wind noise in my vids.

I use a BAR CLAMP mount. It holds the camera SOLID to my front roll hoop brace so I get NO vibration and NO 'rolling lines' through the video. It came with 3 or 4 options for mounting. Unfortunately , for some reason, they dropped the direct BAR clamp, but the do provide 'sticky back' mounting - it's just not ADJUSTABLE like the bar clamp. The camera mounts using a 'clip' that locks the camera in place - it's a 1/4" standard 'camera mount' with lock ridges to 'clock' it at incremental angles.
    Here's some pix of it in place...

And.. We miss skiing too. The problem is that we just can't tell how we're going to be feeling when ski season comes around.. and we have to decide in APRIL to get decent prices . The year I got my kidney stones, I had an ATTACK at 2AM while at Steamboat. Thankfully, it eased off and I was OK the next morning.. then, 2 months later I had to go to the ER.. and then an immediate 'procedure'. Certainly glad I was NOT in CO when that happened.

Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 27

I use a Replay XD on my PFM. It mounts on top of the engine cowling with a sticky mount that I also put a small screw and nut through the fiberglass to make sure it doesn’t fall off. I’ve been happy with it. Simple and cheap.

Liked: 553

As mentioned above (halcyon's post #11), I have been using two Mobius cameras for maybe 10 years.

I've also gotten addicted to Aim loggers, and therefore Smartycams. I absolutely love that they turn themselves on (and off) per your parameters, such as, 10+ MPH.

The Mobius cameras have handy Micro SD cards to swap in and out after sessions, but starting the cameras (pushing the right button), and confirming they are recording is not great. That's the biggest dig against them. Steve's picture above looks like it has much better buttons to push.

The quality of the Mobius' video has been pretty good. No waviness with my cars. I've been using suction cup mounts with short articulated arms.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Quote Originally Posted by azjc View Post
    I installed a Kenwood STZ-RF200WD before my last race -
    I'd say that your mount for the forward camera is NOT SOLID. The rear looks pretty good, but I'm almost certain that the 'rolling' you see is from the bounce of the camera in it's mount. For a test, you could DUCT TAPE it loaded in some direction to IMPROVE it and see if it helps. I've seen lots of videos with similar effects... almost always just needed a more solid mount to the frame of the car. Maybe your front cam is on a 'stalk' ? Doesn't take much. In my post a few back, you can see my camera mounted about as solid as it can get against the roll bar brace. No 'effects' in any of my videos.

Steve
    Steve, FV80

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    .... Steve's picture above looks like it has much better buttons to push.

For nomal operation the front button is the only one used. The others are for cycling through the setup sequences. Push front button for ~2 secs... camera turns on (GREEN LED lights). Push again briefly and goes into record mode - led turns blinking red. After recording.. push front button again.. recording stops and led goes back to green. Hold front button for 2-3 secs.. camera BEEPS and turns off - led goes off.

Steve
    Steve, FV80

For nomal operation the front button is the only one used. The others are for cycling through the setup sequences. Push front button for ~2 secs... camera turns on (GREEN LED lights). Push again briefly and goes into record mode - led turns blinking red. After recording.. push front button again.. recording stops and led goes back to green. Hold front button for 2-3 secs.. camera BEEPS and turns off - led goes off.

Steve
    My Mobius camera has similar colored lights, but they can't be seen from the cockpit. I *know* which button to push, but often wonder if I actually pushed the correct button (and only once).

I had a camera years ago with a remote button for the cockpit. That was nice. I think I've seen that offered for current GoPros (but I swore off GoPros years ago - Before they got better).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 104

The camera has a SDHC memory card. 64GB will get me through a Majors weekend @ 720 res. If I chose 1080, it would take a 128GB card to hold it.

The camera creates a series of ~3GB files in order. Each session generally has 2 files... if we end up sitting on the grid for 20 minutes (not uncommon) it stretches to 3 files. Occasionally, on a Sunday (longer - usually) race, I'll end up with 4 files. Time stamp on each file + name numbering makes it easy to tell the order. Also.. sometimes when we have impound all, I'll FORGET to turn the camera off when I get out of the car - so it runs until I finally notice it, or the battery runs dead.. or the card fills up. The battery in mine is SUPPOSED to be good for ~5 hours. It probably would, but I generally take it out and connect to my laptop after each session to review the video.. and it gets charged any time it's connected - or can be charged by any USB outlet.

Not like a gopro. This one is 'slim' and somewhat 'aero shaped'. There are NO wires to connect or disconnect - unless you want to use a remote mic .. or even remote POWER, but I don't. I use RTV to cover the (2) mic inputs to kill the wind noise - I still get really good audio from the engine, but generally get pretty much NO 'audio' from people.. even me or Linda. It could easily pick up more audio, but I HATE wind noise in my vids.

I use a BAR CLAMP mount. It holds the camera SOLID to my front roll hoop brace so I get NO vibration and NO 'rolling lines' through the video. It came with 3 or 4 options for mounting. Unfortunately , for some reason, they dropped the direct BAR clamp, but the do provide 'sticky back' mounting - it's just not ADJUSTABLE like the bar clamp. The camera mounts using a 'clip' that locks the camera in place - it's a 1/4" standard 'camera mount' with lock ridges to 'clock' it at incremental angles.
    Here's some pix of it in place...

And.. We miss skiing too. The problem is that we just can't tell how we're going to be feeling when ski season comes around.. and we have to decide in APRIL to get decent prices . The year I got my kidney stones, I had an ATTACK at 2AM while at Steamboat. Thankfully, it eased off and I was OK the next morning.. then, 2 months later I had to go to the ER.. and then an immediate 'procedure'. Certainly glad I was NOT in CO when that happened.

Steve, FV80
    I read through this but failed to see what brand the camera is.

Quote Originally Posted by John Green View Post
    I read through this but failed to see what brand the camera is.
    I think, see post #7, last two paragraphs.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

The company is Drift Innovation - they're on the web.
    Steve
    Steve, FV80

Contributing Member
    Liked: 77

Default Smartycam

There seems to be almost no reason to mention the AIM Smartycam at over $1000.
    Turns on and off when you start/stop.
    on playback your speed etc is on screen.
    Hybels

25. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hybels View Post
    There seems to be almost no reason to mention the AIM Smartycam at over $1000.
    Turns on and off when you start/stop.
    on playback your speed etc is on screen.
    There is no mention because the attempt here is to 'get there' with something cheaper.

I used 2 GoPro Session cameras on my previous car. Modified mounts, replaced the lens with a thicker piece of lexan.
    I did get pretty good results. But mistakes happened. Forgot to turn it on, forgot a tether and lost one on the front straight at Laguna (flaggers found it - neither camera nor card survived). Mounts, replacement camera, making replacement lenses (the glass ones were good for maybe half a race) and time....

My current car came with a AIM GP camera setup. Literally nothing to do but swap cards. I replaced the lens once (takes about 1 minute). My 1 complaint is the file codec is not standard on windows viewers.

Success rate with the AIM camera 100%. Picture Quality 9/10. Built well. It just works.
    Everything else is just faffing around.

Thread Information