Liked: 62

Default Petcocks on Catch Cans

My RF81 has two plastic Moroso catch cans of unknown vintage but obviously not original. One of the handles has completely come off the petcock and the other is loose. Thinking about just going with a 1/4 turn ball valve as a replacement. I need to measure but I suspect the bottom fitting is something like 3/8” NPT.

Anyone go ball valve in this application vs traditional petcock?

?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contributing Member
    Liked: 89

I have a similar puke bottle made by JAZ I think. It has a 1/4 turn ball valve on the bottom. Seems to work well

3. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 830

Looks like at least part of your problem is that your tanks are mounted a bit low. Catching track debris .. or worse in the case of an 'OFF'. Raise the mount a couple inches and it'll last longer .
    ANY kind of valve should work just fine. Ball valves are nicer and tend to clog up a whole lot less than the screw in/out type. Those bottles are really SLICK. I have used gatorade bottles in the past. Put the lid 'top down' and just screw off the lid to empty. In my current car, I have a clear qt OIL bottle held in with a zip tie. When I SEE liquid in it, I can 'extract it' from the 'not very tight' zip, dump and reinstall.
    Steve
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

5. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Liked: 270

Yeah, I ended up converting to a gatorade puke bottle after years of using nicer ones.

'Cause sometimes the car comes back without, and there's always spare gatorade bottles laying around in the paddock! After one too many field repairs, we've stuck with that. And our retention method has gotten better...

Still beats paying $20 each time you hit a bump/kerb too hard and the bottle flies out...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 307

Quote Originally Posted by 924RACR View Post
    Yeah, I ended up converting to a gatorade puke bottle after years of using nicer ones.

'Cause sometimes the car comes back without, and there's always spare gatorade bottles laying around in the paddock! After one too many field repairs, we've stuck with that. And our retention method has gotten better...

Still beats paying $20 each time you hit a bump/kerb too hard and the bottle flies out...
    12 oz, 20 oz. 28 oz. or larger? Or quart sized use Oil continers?

Liked: 830

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    12 oz, 20 oz. 28 oz. or larger? Or quart sized use Oil continers?
    Qt oil containers are quite a bit more 'stout' than some of the gatorade type bottles, but either will work. Just have to replace some sooner than others. My old OIL bottle has lasted for at least 5 years and seems to be good to go for another 'few'. CLEAR oil bottles are a bit harder to find, but I like them MUCH better since I can SEE when they need to be 'serviced'.
    Steve
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Thread Information