Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 26

Default Recommendations: Autocross FF Dash / Gauges

Being a realist, the odds of my 1996 Stack ST8100 waking up from a multi decade sleep is very low so I'm looking into replacement options (it did work back in 2007 for 15 minutes when last fired up.) During an autocross run I recall almost never being able to look at the tach... seeing a large analog needle location / range in my peripheral vision I consider a plus. Thus, I was looking forward to using the ST8100 in My RF92 FF.

Recommendations for a budget friendly system and why?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Craig

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Just get a big shift light or 2 (left and right sides of the panel).
    I certainly see the shift light more that a dial or digital readout.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1112

I assume you have a big red light for low oil pressure? Alarms for water temp and pressure are less needed in autocross than road racing. Don't give up on that Stack.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

look for a used AIM system like an XG log. HAs shift lights and 4 programmable idiot lights that could all be OP. I've seen them for as low as $200. Theres a used AIM systems FB page.

Liked: 78

I have used this shift light system from Australia for many years in one of my Porsches that I use for auto-x:

https://ecliptech.com.au/shift-p2/

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Henry View Post
    Being a realist, the odds of my 1996 Stack ST8100 waking up from a multi decade sleep is very low so I'm looking into replacement options (it did work back in 2007 for 15 minutes when last fired up.) During an autocross run I recall almost never being able to look at the tach... seeing a large analog needle location / range in my peripheral vision I consider a plus. Thus, I was looking forward to using the ST8100 in My RF92 FF.

Recommendations for a budget friendly system and why?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Craig

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 322

8100s have the 2 external outputs that can be set for shift point and oil pressure with BIG LED lights. You don’t need to look at the tach or readouts, use what you already have
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Liked: 183

I found this company a while back, after I bought an AIM system. Apex pro seems like a decent system for about $600

https://apextrackcoach.com/

they have a data logger that downloads to your phone. that right there is an improvement over the somewhat dated AIM laptop software on windows laptops (I use Macs daily)

https://apextrackcoach.com/product/apex-pro-gen-2/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gen-ii-02.png 
Views:	221 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	110101  

Liked: 57

... During an autocross run I recall almost never being able to look at the tach... Craig
    Craig,

Back in 2022 my MXL took a trip to the AiM homebase in Italy for a repair. During that time we had a local autocross that I didnt want to miss so I ran without it, meaning zero display/gauges... Still landed top PAX. It may not have been the best idea but likely isnt the dumbest thing I have done in a racecar.

Anyway, not suggesting nothing is needed but agreeing that I learned I really dont "need" the shift lights. If the budget is tight, go cheap.

Also, I left out in the above that the rev limited still worked so it would sound more dramatic. I had that security blanket which made it less stupid.

Matt

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 235

Craig,

Autometer will replace your Stack Tach battery and do minor checking for two hundred bucks. Kinda expensive.

Even big red lights were difficult to see during autocross runs. So instead I use my Stack rpm output line to turn on a piezo buzzer at a set rpm. The buzzer is mounted a few inches from the helmet. It's 120 dB and warbles. Couldn't hear the less noisy ones. This one gets through and sound hellacious when you test it at a low rpm but at speed it is good and doesn't sound overly loud.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 26

Default Thank You

All,

Thanks for all the tips and recommendations!

I plan to test the unit and if it doesn't work, I'll check with Autometer and some other repair sources I've been made aware of.

Always good to have backup plans.

Craig

Liked: 295

All,

Thanks for all the tips and recommendations!

I plan to test the unit and if it doesn't work, I'll check with Autometer and some other repair sources I've been made aware of.

Always good to have backup plans.

Craig
    I have a honda powered FF I use to autocross. I have a rev limiter so no shift light is needed. Then I use the temp gauge to determine if it is warm enough to race. Everything else gets ignored as I have all those fancy things needed if you have a different set up and events to run.

Thread Information