Liked: 94

Default MK9 hockey stick bushings

Any tips or tricks to removing and installing a pair of these bushings?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 85

I've just used a punch from the opposite side to tap them out

A bolt with a couple of washers is enough force to put the new ones in

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Be prepared to ream out the bushings once you get them installed. I've replaced them twice in different bearing carriers/hockey sticks and both required final sizing.

Steve

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 25

Default Mk 9 bushings

As with all things Hewland, when removing bearings and bushing, heat is your friend. Heat up the bearing carrier and the bushing will almost fall out. This will also prevent scaring the housing upon removal and ease installation of the new bushings. You can heat the entire housing (in an oven)or just the area ((with a propane torch). You will definitely need to ream the bushing for a final fit. Make sure the hockey stick moves freely. Hand reamers are available from McMaster at a very reasonable price

Best
    Tom

Liked: 601

Default Hewland "hockey stick" bushings

Because I've done so many of them in the past 40+ years (MK, FT, LD, DG, LG), I made a "tool" for them. The same one I use for install.
    Bushing slides over a portion of it, then a larger size for the bushing to press against.
    And I always ream to size after.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 63

Well if it not too late ... look into the bore first . Some castings have a step in the bore... this means the bushing Can not be pressed all the way through . If this is the case and it is stepped in the bore . I use a large pipe tape . Get maybe 3 or so good turns on it . and then knock the the tap out from the other side I have always sold split Teflon bushing . No need to reem
    Scott Young
    Scott Young Enterprises
    scotty@sy-gearboxes.com

10. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thread Information