Liked: 0

Default Suspension Set up - Ground Clearance

Newbee here with a question about setting up the suspension on a 78 Royale RP24.
    I was recently at VIR on the Patriot Course and during breaking and compression of the suspension into turn 7, I continually scrapped the underside of the chassis.
    Is there a minimum height above the ground the main chassis should be adjusted for?
    I guess the follow on question would be is there a difference between what a rule might state as a min height and what height might be optimal?

Lee Grassley
    Portsmouth, VA
    1978 Royale RP24
    Last edited by E35pilot; 01.28.24 at 11:05 AM.

Liked: 1112

Somebody here probably knows the optimum ride height for your car, but a certain amount of grounding is likely to happen once in a while. The important thing is to have a skid plate that protects your flywheel.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

I'll add that front skid blocks are also important, don't want to wear through the rivets and the pan! I've seen this happen.

I was given a rough estimate for ride height for my Swift, with a certain level of rake. Might have been 1.5"? If I raise or lower the front, I need to do the same amount to the rear to maintain rake. Someone told me early on that the front should kiss the ground on your hardest braking point when the car was full of fuel, which seems to work decently on my Swift, as long as the front skid blocks are in place.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

Have cut teflon strips from Momma's old cutting boards and used them under noses, chassis tubes and floorpans for years. Works great.
    bt

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    I'll add that front skid blocks are also important, don't want to wear through the rivets and the pan! I've seen this happen.

I was given a rough estimate for ride height for my Swift, with a certain level of rake. Might have been 1.5"? If I raise or lower the front, I need to do the same amount to the rear to maintain rake. Someone told me early on that the front should kiss the ground on your hardest braking point when the car was full of fuel, which seems to work decently on my Swift, as long as the front skid blocks are in place.

Gary, this is very helpful. I know some of the rules I’ve read include a rake of no more then 1”, but didn’t really know what the minimum height might be. I can definitely start with this. Thanks.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by billtebbutt View Post
    Have cut teflon strips from Momma's old cutting boards and used them under noses, chassis tubes and floorpans for years. Works great.
    bt

Thanks for the Teflon/PTFE suggestion…sounds like a great idea. I do have a few rivets I’ve replaced under the nose and this would definitely help them from being ground off.

Lee

Liked: 1397

Default Ride Height

Ground clearance is better understood as ride height. The designer of you car had a ride height number in mind when he designed your car. You can not move a car up or down without understanding the effects it has on the suspension geometry.

As an example, the Zink Z10 was designed with a front ride height of 2.5 inches. I turns out that by running the car at 1.5 inches, the front geometry has excellent characteristics. But running the car say at 2 inches, the geometry is not very good. So the car has to be setup to run the designed ride height or a ride height that works with the geometry of the suspension.

To keep the car out of the ground, I like to use Dynamics bump stops that have enough force to support the car at ground level. But at ride height I have an air gap between the bump stops and the shock body that will allow the car to move down some amount before contacting the bump stops.

Relying on skid blocks to keep the car out of the ground is a good way to induce frame cracks. I have had to repair several cars where pounding the bump stops resulted in frame cracking.

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Steve, thanks for the advice…this is something I will certainly consider when setting the height. What you explain makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, I have not been successful at locating factory information for setting up the RP24 and have resolved myself to getting as close to something reasonable than just doing a lot of driving/adjustments.

Lee

Liked: 1397

Quote Originally Posted by E35pilot View Post
    Steve, thanks for the advice…this is something I will certainly consider when setting the height. What you explain makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, I have not been successful at locating factory information for setting up the RP24 and have resolved myself to getting as close to something reasonable than just doing a lot of driving/adjustments.

Lee
    I still use Bill Mitchell's Racing by the Numbers soft ware. I did a quick net search for Mitchell's soft ware. There ae lots of sights that popped up. I would start there and see what is available today.

Part of learning to drive is also being the car engineer if you can not afford to hire one.

12. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 322

I assume you’ve reached out to RoyaleRacingLLC (Chris Shoemaker) or Alan Cornack in the UK?

I probably don’t need to tell you that ride height is obviously affected by spring rates. Soft springs need more height. I run at pretty smooth tracks, compared to the UK tracks the cars were designed around, and was able to lower my old RP16 to 2”F/2-1/4”R when I upped my springrates to 350/350. Car was balanced, but was near the limit of the frame torsion loads.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Liked: 64

Default RP24 Setup Sources

Use the search function for RP24, RP-24, RP 24 in the classified ad section. There you can find previous owners, which you can private message.

Thread Information