Liked: 20

Default Original Lola Molds Auction

FYI for you Lola guys, original Lola factory molds up for auction. Ends Feb.7

https://www.peacockauction.co.uk/auc...panels/?au=528

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1109

That’s absolutely mind-blowing!

I recognize a ton of those, T70 (Can-Am), T290 nose and T292-96 side vents (BSR), T324 and T620 noses (S/V), T640 (FF), T360 (Atlantic), many others.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Tony Waterman, a finer Gent I have never met.

I have owned three Lolas, and have done considerable business with Tony. The quality of his workmanship, of the materials he uses, his attention to detail, and his personal countenance is indisputably world class.

I regret seeing this.
    V/r

Iverson

5. The following 3 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 901

Default Tony Waterman

I rang him up when I was restoring my 492. He wanted to know if I wanted the body made as per the factory, lightweight or "see through"

The quality was beyond reproach. You paid for it, but it was worth it. I am sorry to see this, and hope someone can step in and buy the lot to keep it all together.

best,
    bt

Liked: 26

I saw this as well. I wonder where the majority of 492's are. Europe or North America? I could use a nose, but the remainder of my bodywork is good. It's the shipping that has kept me back from ordering a new nose and just using the rough one that came with the car. From the looks of how they have set up the auction you would either have to be on hand in the UK to handle pick up , packing and shipping or know someone over there to do it for you.
    I could use the T 540 molds as well but they have bundled them with molds from another model { T 580 FF 2000 } so double the crating and shipping costs. Are there even any T 580's in North America ?
    Last edited by GreginCanada; 01.26.24 at 2:27 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 81

Default Lola molds

I’m eyeing the Lola Mk1 molds as I consider them one of the most attractive racecars ever.
    Of course I have no business doing so as I’ve already got enough projects to keep me busy the rest of my life…
    Always room for one more though …..

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 855

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherBernard View Post
    I’m eyeing the Lola Mk1 molds as I consider them one of the most attractive racecars ever.
    Of course I have no business doing so as I’ve already got enough projects to keep me busy the rest of my life…
    Always room for one more though …..
    Sometimes, a person only gets one shot at a unique opportunity! If I had any of these Lola's. I'd have registered already! (I liked the T70 most)
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Wow ! Did anyone see what sort of money some of those sold for ? I didn't see the final price as I was sleeping and now the site isn't showing the sale price. But when I last checked last night the T540 molds were sitting at 1800 pounds. Mk 1 molds were something like 6000 pounds. Plus premium . You would have to plan on selling bodywork to every surviving T540 to even begin to earn back that sort of a up front cost. Anyone watch this to the end and see what the popular molds actually sold for ?

Liked: 9

Default Auction

The Auction went nuts in the final hours, and from what I understand, most of the molds went for what they were worth. I do know one person in Texas, was able to get nearly all the 640 molds.

I just don't understand some of these prices. I am thinking of cars like T 440's -540's - 640's. On average something around 100 of each built . I somehow doubt as many as 60% of them still exist. And almost all of the survivors already have bodywork. Molds for things like noses already exist in the U.S. as far as I know. The 640's have complicated bodywork, so perhaps some justification for owning factory molds. But the other two have very simple bodywork . Other than noses are you even going to sell one or two main body moldings a year for a T 440 or T540 ? The molds looked like it had been some time since they had been used.
    Pay 1800 pounds for the mold, still have to add in materials, labor, and no doubt shipping. you would have to be selling the body work for thousands a body . On a car that might hit 20 K in truly mint condition i just don't see how anyone would make any money. Obviously T70's and MK1's are in a different league. Both original cars and replica's. I guess I am naive, but I thought the T540 molds might go for $400.00 - $500.00.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information