Liked: 1868

Default Laguna sued again

You really have to wonder about people who move into a house near a race track or some other facility that they don't like. Laguna Seca is being sued once again by idiot neighbors.

https://us.motorsport.com/indycar/ne...sage/10568536/

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1108

Oh Good Lord…

Same thing happened in Durango, Colorado. Out-of-staters moved a block from the wonderful Durango-Silverton narrow gauge railroad, then literally tried to shut the railroad down for “soot on my roof!”

My understanding is they were run straight out of town. They lost the case, hope they went back West where they should have stayed.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 89

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    Oh Good Lord…

Same thing happened in Durango, Colorado. Out-of-staters moved a block from the wonderful Durango-Silverton narrow gauge railroad, then literally tried to shut the railroad down for “soot on my roof!”

My understanding is they were run straight out of town. They lost the case, hope they went back West where they should have stayed.
    I hope they didn't come back, we're full up here!

6. The following 5 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

What a crock

I can not say anything else

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1112

Because it's California, there's no saying what the outcome may be.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

This is so good I wish I wrote it:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinio...zes-overnight/

ChrisZ

11. The following 9 users liked this post:

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Laguna's next door neighbor used to be a military base.
    40 years ago the army used the land next to the track to train tank crews, no guns, just driving around 24 hours a day. A group of neighbors sued the army to shut down the tank training because it made too much noise in the middle of the night.. While the lawsuit didn't go anywhere the army did move out.

It you want to see how draconian sound limits are at the track, read the SFR supps here (pages 7 and 8)

Basically, a single idiot with a too loud car can shutdown entire race weekend.

Steve

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 942

SteveG is correct about the tanks running around in the middle of the night. In WWII and the Korean war the Army used the base for armored vehicle maneuvers and artillery training including howitzers and mortars. So, there's lots of UXO in them hills.

Developers want the Army to clean it all out so they can build McMansions under the Montery County Airport glide path and get rid of the airport too because of noise... BTW, the county board of supes a just a week bit slimy.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

15. The following 3 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by 10rmotor View Post
    I hope they didn't come back, we're full up here!
    Dang, my “perfect” code **failed**!

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 34

Those people can kiss my shiny metal a**. There is a current lawsuit going on in Naples, FL which is in the county below where I live. The Naples Airport is a small, executive airport where some small, but usually very expensive, private and business jets (mostly) fly out of. The airport's been there since 1910 and opened to commercial traffic in 1950. People who moved there a few years ago are claiming they didn't know the airport was there and want it shut down due to noise. One woman went on record saying "I didn't know there was an airport only 2,500 feet from my house." My reply to that would've been "Ma'am, are you that eff'ing stupid?" I hope this lawsuit doesn't succeed. If it does, it could be the beginning of the end of motorsports. It could mean people moving within earshot and/or sight of Anytrack USA and suing to have it shut down over noise and traffic. If Leguna Seca isn't safe, then no track is. To quote Julia Roberts in Leave The World Behind, "I eff'ing hate people."

19. The following 4 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by whadeduck View Post
    Those people can kiss my shiny metal a**. There is a current lawsuit going on in Naples, FL which is in the county below where I live. The Naples Airport is a small, executive airport where some small, but usually very expensive, private and business jets (mostly) fly out of. The airport's been there since 1910 and opened to commercial traffic in 1950. People who moved there a few years ago are claiming they didn't know the airport was there and want it shut down due to noise. One woman went on record saying "I didn't know there was an airport only 2,500 feet from my house." My reply to that would've been "Ma'am, are you that eff'ing stupid?" I hope this lawsuit doesn't succeed. If it does, it could be the beginning of the end of motorsports. It could mean people moving within earshot and/or sight of Anytrack USA and suing to have it shut down over noise and traffic. If Leguna Seca isn't safe, then no track is. To quote Julia Roberts in Leave The World Behind, "I eff'ing hate people."
    I was just at the military museum inside the Naples airport terminal last week.
    Lot's of really cool stuff in there.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 227

It scares me every time I visit Road Atlanta and see more new neighborhoods near the track.

Contributing Member CheckeredFlag's Avatar
    Liked: 116

I bet the Waterford Hills folks could say, "I feel your pain."
    Dean Fehribach
    Car owner: SCCA Enterprises FE2 chassis #037.
    Car owner: 2017 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Autocross STU

23. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 1112

It's been a problem for gun ranges for decades. And dairy farms.

Then there's Arizona Motorsports Park, located next to the runway at Luke AFB. They have a sound limit and test everybody first thing in the morning before starting lapping sessions. One guy flunked because he happened to pass the meter just as an F16 was taking off. He got another run.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

25. The following members LIKED this post:

All this reminds me of the pigs farms that have had new development try to sue because of the stink. Sorry, but the pigs were there first!

I'd have to verify it, but I believe that Indianapolis Raceway Park managed to get Clermont to pass a town clause quite a few decades ago that since IRP was there first ( and brings a ton of $$$ to the area), no one could try to sue to reduce the noise ( and Top Fuel cars are definitely loud!). Maybe more tracks need to get the same done.

27. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 597

Perhaps track and airport owners could press for local zoning laws to require any new residential structure built within a mile of the track/airport to have double or triple paned sound reduction windows.

And have it in the sales contract that they cannot complain about the noise or smell.

30. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

This is a political issue. While who was there first has merit, who lives there at this time is what counts now. The local home owners have every right to speak up.

I see traffic during spectator events as the main issue. There are only 2 or 3 two lane roads that service the track. This is barely acceptable to the spectators, much less local residents. There is no cost effective cure to the traffic issue.

Frankly, the track should only be allowed non-spectator events. I know this is not enough to keep the track open, but maybe the non-spectators should step up to higher fees if they really want to use the track.

Brian

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cory mcleod View Post
    It scares me every time I visit Road Atlanta and see more new neighborhoods near the track.
    Thats bad enough, but portland is even worse. Its smack dab in the middle of the city.

My GPS has just laid out the route from Crazytown to Earth.

Seems the day has arrived to close all football stadiums, airports, loud factories, rodeo grounds, outdoor concerts, state fairs, college and high school sporting events, construction sites, roadmaking, choir practice, we must ban rush hour, deconstruct that pesky rail system, ban trucking, July 4th celebrations, satellite-carrying rockets, and frankly eliminate everything that’s fun or profitable for others beyond me, any and all events within earshot of anyone and everyone, because you know, a new resident may not like it.

We really should find a way to quiet lightning down, too. Can babies still cry in public?

Whatever works for me personally should be mandated because, you know, Me.
    Last edited by E1pix; 01.25.24 at 3:18 PM.

34. The following 10 users liked this post:

Liked: 121

Quote Originally Posted by 10rmotor View Post
    Thats bad enough, but portland is even worse. Its smack dab in the middle of the city.
    Noise limits at Portland are less crazy than Laguna Seca though. I've never been meatballed for noise at Portland but it has happened to me at Laguna Seca. Fortunately I was able to borrow an air box that reduced the noise enough for my shifter kart from someone else that time and was still able to race.

Liked: 597

Yo Harding...........so you also would agree that the Super Bowl can't be held anywhere because the traffic might cause a problem.
    Rediculous

37. The following 8 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

Clearly have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to Laguna Seca. Checkout Maps and you will see only the two lane Hwy 68 servicing the track. You will also note the all the expensive (multi million) homes in this area only have Hwy 68 as access to their homes. There are no alt routes or back roads to their homes. The Hwy 68 has the feel of a canyon drive.

Brian

Liked: 165

Don’t buy or build a house near a racetrack if you don’t want to deal with traffic or noise. It’s really that simple.
    Van Diemen RF99 FC

40. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 183

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    Clearly have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to Laguna Seca. Checkout Maps and you will see only the two lane Hwy 68 servicing the track. You will also note the all the expensive (multi million) homes in this area only have Hwy 68 as access to their homes. There are no alt routes or back roads to their homes. The Hwy 68 has the feel of a canyon drive.

Brian
    agreed, clearly those complaining did not do their due diligence when buying their mcMansion off hwy 68.

that road sucks on a good day. Worse on a touristy weekend in Monterey bay.

42. The following 5 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    Frankly, the track should only be allowed non-spectator events. I know this is not enough to keep the track open, but maybe the non-spectators should step up to higher fees if they really want to use the track.

Brian
    so I guess you're in favor of closing a world renowned race track simply because some rich punks bought a house next to a known issue and then complained. And perhaps also kill one of the largest SCCA regions (which you probably aren't a member of) with even more exorbitant entry fees? When you buy a house, aren't there a list of disclosures that you have to sign that you were informed of and will probably need to address at some point in your ownership of said property? So now you think that if there is any traffic anywhere it needs to be abated simply because someone complains. Wow. You must be fun at parties.

44. The following 8 users liked this post:

Thread Information